PDA

View Full Version : Refresh my memory. One or Two Feedings Per day for Betta Fish

Shidohari
05-13-2019, 10:33 PM
I have a young blue mustard halfmoon female that I recently obtained from petsmart. I am currently feeding Omega Betta Buffet. Lights are on from 12 Noon til about One or Two AM the following morning (due to my work schedule i normally work from 5pm to 12AM monday thru thursday and 5-10pm friday)

She's usually eating 1-3 flakes per feeding.

Is it one or two feedings per day? I don't want to risk overfeeding her.

Please advise. Also a picture of the betta. Sorry the PC attachment automatically rotated the picture of my fish by 90 degrees. In this picture she's in her original sales cup from Petsmart.

And the tank (which when my friend Rachel gives me her three betta males and takes my Bearded Dragon will probably be the default tank). Tank is on sale at petsmart until 6/2/19. 3.5 gallon top fin Bettaflow Soothe tank. I like the clean look and because of the center column and the heater position, she still has a place to hide without needing to crowd the tank with rocks and plants. Again, the PC attachment rotated the picture 90 degrees. My apologies.

Enjoy.

bpete
05-14-2019, 11:22 AM
I would tend to feed twice daily. you should be ok as long as she is consuming all of the food within a few minutes. you might think about doing the second feeding with another type of food such as some frozen blood worms for variety. mine likes an occasional live fruit fly for a snack. a good variety of food will do her well.

Rocksor
05-14-2019, 02:30 PM
The fish is barely moving (not searching for food or chasing other fish away or being chased) once a day if more than enough.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2019, 03:05 PM
I feed my bettas once a day, every other day...variety is good, as mentioned above

Shidohari
05-14-2019, 03:56 PM
I'll have to get her dried blood worms as she'd never go through all the frozen ones that would be thawed from a section before they went bad. I might cut her back to once a day, or once a day every other day feedings she always eats about two to three flakes every time I feed her. That's got to be more than her stomach can hold.

Funny story she found away under the 'tray' in the tank that keeps waste separate from the rest of the tank. I was thinking last night WHY IS THERE NOT A FISH IN THE TANK as I know the lid was on and she couldn't have jumped out. after some searching i found she'd gotten under the white slatted tray It was funny but gave me a slight heart attack.

Her lights are off in her tank for another six minutes. Currently she's swimming towards the top of the tank which probably means time for another water change. I need to go and get some testing strips or the testing kit. I think I might get strips this time, as I never used the freshwater kit bottles in enough time before they spoiled.. There's probably some ammo in the tank.

Shidohari
05-14-2019, 07:07 PM
All strips are reading clear or safe for today. I will be monitoring the ammonia because it's sitting between ideal and safe right now. I may have to change the water tomorrow if it rises anymore towards the .5 area of the strips. Since this indicates that the cycle is starting possibly on the ammonia end.

Thanks again for all your help. Also got a top fin 1-10 gallon siphon today as well to make removing the water easier. The turkey baster will still be used to remove the visible poop.

RiversGirl
05-15-2019, 01:06 PM
I'll have to get her dried blood worms as she'd never go through all the frozen ones that would be thawed from a section before they went bad.

If you already have the frozen and you wish to use it, you could take a new razor blade and slice a sliver off of a frozen cube, defrosting just that sliver and returning the cube to the freezer.

DeepSouth
05-15-2019, 09:00 PM
I'll have to get her dried blood worms

Be careful with the dried blood worms. I lost a couple fish when I thought I had adequately soaked them. The fish can easily overeat them.

Shidohari
05-16-2019, 04:43 PM
yeah i don't know if i would actually get her blood worms. I've had the overeating thing happen as well and I was only giving them one worm too. I'll have to look at things. The Omega betta buffet flakes are going over well, she only eats one to three once a day (equivalent to about 3-6 pellets i'd suspect).

Slaphppy7
05-16-2019, 07:17 PM
The liquid test kit is much more accurate than strips.

Shidohari
05-17-2019, 06:16 AM
Actually someone posted a YouTube video online comparing the test strips I'm using with the freshwater test kit by API the results were very close, and equal on a couple occasions. That's why I went with the Tetra strips.

Also I read online that the API test strips bleed colors, and the ones I'm currently using haven't done that as far as I've seen. With all the steps involved in the liquid kit, I never tested the water as much as I should have. I also had trouble discerning the correct readings based on the colors of the water.

That's the reason I'm using strips instead of liquid testing this time around.

Hope that clarifies.

Rocksor
05-17-2019, 11:33 AM
test strips degrade faster. Every time I buy a set of test strips well before the expiration date, I find that they are considerably off, always reporting a value less than the liquid test equivalent.

blankoya
01-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Be careful with the dried blood worms. I lost a couple fish when I thought I had adequately soaked them. The fish can easily overeat them.

Is it one or two feedings per day? I don't want to risk overfeeding her.

AmandaYiu
01-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Variety of foods remember!