PDA

View Full Version : shrimp with Bettas?

bpete
04-19-2019, 04:51 PM
so i was thinking about adding some shrimp to MR Betta's 10G tank but i am worried about him harassing or flat out killing them. I think there is a fair amount of cover for them to hang out in though. I have not had much experience with freshwater shrimp and was wondering what the best species might be?

Slaphppy7
04-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Red cherry shrimp are a great beginner's shrimp, easy to keep and do well in most cycled FW tanks.

That being said, it's a crapshoot when it comes to how Mr Betta will react to them...I've had bettas that totally ignored my shrimp, and on the other hand, bettas that found them to be quite tasty

DoubleDutch
04-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Red cherry shrimp are a great beginner's shrimp, easy to keep and do well in most cycled FW tanks.

That being said, it's a crapshoot when it comes to how Mr Betta will react to them...I've had bettas that totally ignored my shrimp, and on the other hand, bettas that found them to be quite tastyMy cousin's betta ate them all in two days.

Slaphppy7
04-20-2019, 01:29 PM
I have 2 different bettas presently, Lao and Floyd...tried both a shrimp and a snail with Lao, he chased the shrimp and nipped the snail's antennae, so we took them out quickly. Lao is a plakat, know for being aggressive, while Floyd is a split-tail, and very serene...may try some shrimp or a snail with him, and see how it goes

We had two other half-moon bettas in the past who totally ignored shrimp and snails

fissh
04-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Bettas and shrimp, YUM YUM :hmm3grin2orange:

Boundava
04-21-2019, 03:18 AM
Every betta I have ever had, and I have had over 20-male and female; were murderers. It's just their nature-shrimp are usually an expensive yet delicious addition to a betta tank. If you want to try something less expensive to see if your betta is going to hunt them down and snack on them-look for the ghost/grass/glass shrimp. They are usually sold as feeders so are inexpensive (less than $1 for one, usually ~$0.50). So if they are a buffet, at least they weren't bad on your wallet.

bpete
04-22-2019, 12:36 PM
thanks for the info. MR Betta likes to harass the Nerite snails already so i suspect he may do the same with shrimp. I may try some ghost shrimp as they are readily available and less expensive than others I have seen.