PDA

View Full Version : Betta breeding

BBJ
10-31-2018, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone. I just got two male vieltail bettas, Persia and Moscow, and I'll be getting some females for breeding in a couple weeks. How many females do I need per male? I have my bettas in 5-gallon tanks. Also, can you give me some pointers for successful betta breeding/ fry care?
Thanks everyone!

Boundava
10-31-2018, 04:43 PM
Not sure as i have never tried to breed the common betta (common as the one sold in most stores). I know you can't just throw the two together, as the female often winds up killing the slower moving male. This seems like a good guide:

https://modestfish.com/breeding-betta-fish-guide/

BBJ
11-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Okay, thank you! I looked into betta breeding and now I've decide to get a couple more male bettas and three females. I'll need to get a tank divider. I have a limited budget and wanted to get a certain kind, but was wondering if anybody knew about this one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grid-Divider-Tray-Egg-Crate-Holder-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Filter-Bottom-Isolate-Hot/113189451267?var=413492478319

Anyway, it doesn't specify the size of what tank they should be used in. I need to divide up two 5-gallons. Do these interlock to form different sizes?
Thanks everyone.

BBJ
11-05-2018, 07:52 PM
I've already sorted out about how many bettas and where they'll stay.

Boundava
11-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Not sure as i have never tried to breed the common betta (common as the one sold in most stores). I know you can't just throw the two together, as the female often winds up killing the slower moving male. This seems like a good guide:

https://modestfish.com/breeding-betta-fish-guide/

If you are successful, what will you be doing with the offspring? The market is pretty saturated with bettas.

BBJ
11-06-2018, 05:13 PM
I'll probably sell some online, but I'll be keeping a lot of the babies. :19: I have a surplus of 1-5 gallon fish bowls. The 1-gallon, I think, is inhumane for bettas so it's only a temporary hospital tank for Persia.

Boundava
11-06-2018, 05:33 PM
IMO and experience, 5 gallons is the minimum for bettas. I prefer 10 gallons and have had bettas in much larger tanks. They love it. I currently have a female in a 55 gallon tub-she has no issues using all of that space or sharing with her tub mates (hone-pearl-banded gouramis, espie rasboras, kuhli loaches, and BN plecos-maybe a few snails and shrimp too).

I recently had a male in a 55 tub as well and he loved it too (RIP Tony).

BBJ
11-06-2018, 07:40 PM
I see what you mean, and they won't be staying in 3-gallons for very long; only a couple weeks and then into ten gallon or maybe a divided 55-gallon they'll go.

bpete
11-08-2018, 02:06 AM
I just wanted to toss in my two cents worth. I do not have much real world experience breeding Bettas but have tried to do a fair amount of study on it. I would suggest checking out a Betta specific book or two. from what i have gathered is you will want to make sure the female is in good breeding condition partly by making sure she has a varied diet with at least some fresh and live foods. if she is not ready the male will almost surely relentlessly chase her. even if she is ready you will want to be prepared to move her fast if things go badly. the male should build a bubble nest and breed with her. he will then be the sole guardian of the nest and she should be removed. also Bettas prefer their temps in the high 70's to low 80's so as far as having multiple tanks it may be easier and cheaper to heat the whole room than run individual heaters. study up and have a fun time with these lovely and unique fish.

BBJ
11-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks! Most of the tanks are in my family's living room (which stays fairly warm) and I do have a couple small heaters to use when needed. I am going to get seven or eight bettas, to live in large bowls and small tanks until the weather warms a bit. Then they are going to be moved into a divided 55-gallon long aquarium.
But I do have a question; how do I tell when the female is ready for breeding? I mean, how big does she have to be to be considered "breeding age"?
Thanks again. :)

BBJ
11-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Also, I am going to pedigree the offspring and I would like to know what colors these two males are. They may (and probably will) be fathers soon.

Moscow and Persia, my current bettas. I am going to get a reddish one, and maybe one or two others. I'll post some pictures when I get them; that's in about four or five days.

angelcraze2
11-08-2018, 08:23 PM
I know angelfish genetics pretty well, but not bettas :( There's an angelfish genetics calculator that makes it easier, but I couldn't find one for bettas :( I did find these though....

http://www.oocities.org/dynarb/genetics.html
And
https://www.ingloriousbettas.com/betta-genetics-color-and-form.html

Hopefully it helps. But at any rate, I find learning about dominant and hetero genes, locus and phenotypes helpful. Seems to be consistent across the board, you just have to learn betta genes and stains in particular.

BBJ
11-08-2018, 09:54 PM
So I have a yellow veiltail and a blue veiltail?

BBJ
11-08-2018, 10:02 PM
I think so; thanks so much, angelcraze2!

BBJ
11-08-2018, 10:10 PM
EDIT: Royal blue veiltail.

angelcraze2
11-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Honestly, I haven't read it all in entirety, the betta genetics are quite involved when it comes to the tail fins. Here's an article describing tail fin genetics.

https://www.myaquariumclub.com/the-genetics-of-betta-fish-tail-types-2018.html

BBJ
11-08-2018, 10:17 PM
I never knew there were so many kinds of betta tails! I love them all and seriously want to get them all but apace says otherwise. :/

BBJ
11-11-2018, 03:34 AM
Going to get one female for now, and wait to get some more later on.... I'll send pics tomorrow say around four o' clock or so

angelcraze2
11-11-2018, 05:14 PM
I never knew there were so many kinds of betta tails! I love them all and seriously want to get them all but apace says otherwise. :/

Lol, sounds like me with the angels. You can be bettacraze lol!