PDA

View Full Version : Atya gabonensis/Giant Blue Wood Shrimp

Wolfgang
05-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Hello.

Any information/experience out there with this species of shrimp? A quick Google search contained several different names, like Viper shrimp, Vampire shrimp, African fan shrimp, African filter shrimp, and many more. These guys look like a very interesting shrimp species to keep. They seem to be "filter" feeders, feeding on tiny food particles floating around in the water. Would one or two be a good companion in a 40 gallon community tank? Evidently they can get quite large, up to 6" in length!!

angelcraze2
05-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Cool, I've seen viper shrimp before, they look intriguing. I have bamboo filter feeding shrimp, I set up a gentle powerhead for them. They get situated on a plant or DW in the flow and spread their net paws to catch particles. They need appreciate the flow. I read if they are seen picking at the substrate, they are not happy shrimp.

Slaphppy7
05-09-2018, 04:47 PM
I tried a viper shrimp once in my 29G, but he didn't live very long, for some reason...got him from TWS, too

I currently have 4 bamboo shrimp in my 40B, and like them alot

Boundava
05-09-2018, 05:10 PM
I have had two of these, very secretive IME. They found a hole inside dome DW and hid there for there lifespans. With the manzanita yours may stay out. One was black and the other blue.

Wolfgang
05-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Cool I'll have to look into the bamboo shrimp. Do those get very big? I currently have RCS in my 40B but was wanting another shrimp a little bigger.

TWS offers "Singapore Shrimp" would that be similar to Bamboo Shrimp by any chance?

angelcraze2
05-09-2018, 05:58 PM
My bamboo shrimp are currently 3". They are housed in my 90g with angelfish and BN plecos. The fish don't bother with them.

Slaphppy7
05-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Cool I'll have to look into the bamboo shrimp. Do those get very big? I currently have RCS in my 40B but was wanting another shrimp a little bigger.

TWS offers "Singapore Shrimp" would that be similar to Bamboo Shrimp by any chance?

Yes, same thing, they go by many names....3 inches is about right for adult size

Wolfgang
05-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Do the bamboo shrimp do best in large groups, or does it not really matter? I'd like to have at least 4 in my 40B.

Would it be a waste to pay for shipping expenses if I bought just 4 shrimp from TWS? Is overnight shipping strongly recommended for shrimp like it is with fish?

Slaphppy7
05-09-2018, 06:56 PM
I'd rather get them overnight if I could, but 2 days probably wouldn't hurt.

Check here for pricing of theirs, shipping may be cheaper: https://aquaticarts.com/

My newest ones I bought from a place in Cali, but can't remember the name of the store...I have it at home on my email

They do fine alone or in groups

Slaphppy7
05-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Found it: http://www.petzonesd.com/invertebrates/

Slaphppy7
05-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Keep in mind, they constantly filter feed, so you don't want to use Purigen or any other water "polishers", you need a decent amount of bits and pieces of stuff in the water column at all times

Wolfgang
05-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Keep in mind, they constantly filter feed, so you don't want to use Purigen or any other water "polishers", you need a decent amount of bits and pieces of stuff in the water column at all times

Yeah I've never used Purigen or anything like that. I do, however, use Prazipro when introducing new inhabitants, and a little liquid fertilizers although I haven't used ferts in my tank in quite some time. I may end up needing to use ferts when I get my bucephalandra.

Thanks for those other sources, I will check them out.

Slaphppy7
05-09-2018, 08:56 PM
No problem.

Wolfgang
05-11-2018, 02:53 PM
From petzonesd.com the cost is $141 for just 4 bamboo shrimp with next day shipping. Wow!!!

That aquaticarts.com is much more reasonable FYI. $68 for 3 juvenile bamboo shrimp with next day air. I might just do that!! These shrimp look fascinating!!

Slaphppy7
05-11-2018, 03:06 PM
The folks at AA are great to work with, I say go for it!

Wolfgang
05-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Wow I didn't realize how big these shrimp get, they can get up to 3" in length!! I'm just so used to my little RCS lol. You think 3 would be okay in my 40B? I have great filtration. and I can't see their bioloads being very much at all...

Slaphppy7
05-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Here's a recent vid of 3 of mine filter feeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIPzTxZew6Q

Slaphppy7
05-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Wow I didn't realize how big these shrimp get, they can get up to 3" in length!! I'm just so used to my little RCS lol. You think 3 would be okay in my 40B? I have great filtration. and I can't see their bioloads being very much at all...

Heck yeah 3 will be OK, I have 4 in mine.

Wolfgang
05-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Those guys look so cool!!! They are just holding onto those plants for dear life, enjoying the ride, while eating. I love it!!!

Slaphppy7
05-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Yes, that's how they roll, lol....they'll find a nice area of flow in your tank, and stay there most of the time...WC day, they can flip out a little bit, but nothing serious, and they always find their way back to their favorite spot

You're gonna like them alot