PDA

View Full Version : Need help sexing my pleco

Wolfgang
03-11-2018, 11:10 PM
"Super Red Bushy Nose Pleco"

I've had it for almost one year. It was 1.25" in length at the time I bought it from TWS and it sure has grown!! I have read from other people about the various behaviors between male and female. Females tend to not be as shy. Mine likes to stay underneath some DW, but it's definitely not shy about venturing out onto rocks, glass, plants, pretty much anything. Especially during feeding. I see two little bumps on the top of it's head, but they haven't grown in quite some time. This all leads me to believe it might be a female. I took some pictures, and will continue to try and get better pictures when I can. Here it is...

Wolfgang
03-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Sorry about the bad pictures. Every time I try to get closer to the tank it swims away and hides underneath some DW. I will continue to try and get some better close-ups.

angelcraze2
03-12-2018, 02:29 AM
It's really hard to tell from the pics as you know, do you see little spikes along the lip edge? I'm not sure if I'm seeing little nose spikes, they may be bristles...

I've read that females can have little spikes, but every female I've had has no spikes whatsoever, they are smoothed and shorter faced than males. Females are usually rounder in the body, and males grow longer. Males may be a little more skittish in general, they are more territorial and defensive of food, but I've seen my females fight for food and males males all over the tank too.

How long is the fish now? A pic of the snout and overhead-ish shot to show body shape would be particularly helpful.

Btw, what are those beautiful blue tetras in the background?

Wolfgang
03-12-2018, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get some better overhead body shots soon.

And those are called Green Neon Tetra. Still not sure why they are called Green when clearly they are blue lol. I've had those guys ever since I started up my tank and about to get 10-15 more!! They are great!!

waylon101
03-12-2018, 03:14 AM
It's really hard to tell from the pics as you know, do you see little spikes along the lip edge? I'm not sure if I'm seeing little nose spikes, they may be bristles...

I've read that females can have little spikes, but every female I've had has no spikes whatsoever, they are smoothed and shorter faced than males. Females are usually rounder in the body, and males grow longer. Males may be a little more skittish in general, they are more territorial and defensive of food, but I've seen my females fight for food and males males all over the tank too.

How long is the fish now? A pic of the snout and overhead-ish shot to show body shape would be particularly helpful.

Btw, what are those beautiful blue tetras in the background?

Thats what i've heard as well. Males usually have more pronounced "mustaches" lol

Slaphppy7
03-12-2018, 12:22 PM
And those are called Green Neon Tetra. Still not sure why they are called Green when clearly they are blue lol. I've had those guys ever since I started up my tank and about to get 10-15 more!! They are great!!

From certain angles, in the right lighting, they will show splashes of green color along their upper bodies...I love my greenies

SueD
03-12-2018, 03:37 PM
If there are no bristles up the nose after a year, I'd say you've got a female

Wolfgang
03-12-2018, 03:45 PM
If there are no bristles up the nose after a year, I'd say you've got a female

Well, I wouldn't call them bristles just yet but I do see two "bumps" on the nose. Hard to see them from the pics I posted. I will try to post some better pictures.

SueD
03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
At over a year, you should see much more than that if it's male and if it's been growing adequately in size.

fissh
03-12-2018, 05:35 PM
It's hard to tell from the picture, but my guess is a girl. In the first picture a boy, the second picture center fish is a girl.

angelcraze2
03-12-2018, 06:20 PM
When they are first growing their bristles, they are tiny spikes. I look for small spikes along the lip line. Not every male grows long bristles IME, some of the males have longer bristles than others.

Here is a pic of my year old male albino pleco.

Also my female BN are very noticeably rounder in the belly, like fissh's second pic. That female looks to be full of eggs though. It goes the same for other plecos like tiger plecos too.

Wolfgang
03-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Thank you all very much for the help!! I think I have a female!! If it were a male and I've had it for almost one year I would definitely start to see little spikes by the lip at least, right?

angelcraze2
03-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Yes, IME, I see small spikes like in the pic above, the ones on the side of the lip and the first one on the lip along the nose. The longer spikes on the nose grew later. He has the least nose spikes out of all the males I have presently.

Btw, if you have enough fish to eat to BN babies, you may never even see them. If left to do so, they will breed, but being overrun with plecos is not a problem in my tank with angelfish.

SueD
03-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Here's the large BNP I had that I ultimately sold. He had an impressive snout but he was several years old by the time of this pic.

angelcraze2
03-12-2018, 07:38 PM
I have this pic, not a pretty pic, but the albino BN is male and the brown one is a female, both about a year old. They are already reproducing by this age.

Notice how long the male's snout is compared to the female? Also she is probably producing eggs, but females are much rounder even at that age. You can see a small stomach bulge if you look close. I think my old BN male pleco keeps growing his bristles. The spikes start to split and become almost alien-like, they are such funny interesting little plecos lol.

Wolfgang
03-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Yeah I really like plecos!! They are very fascinating to me!!

So if I were to get a second pleco, I should try to get a female to go with another female unless I want a bunch of babies, correct?

Does anyone have experience ordering a specific pleco sex from TWS?

angelcraze2
03-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Try to get a female, but if your Super Red pleco ends up being male, it's not that big of a deal if you have fish that would eat the babies. I see them being eaten by my angelfish in my 90g. And fat angelfish bellies. I only grow out what I want to, the babies don't stand a chance in the tank. It's good nutrition for the angelfish. My Columbian tetras would have taken care of that issue too ;) Any fish that hunts tiny small fish and bugs.

Wolfgang
03-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Try to get a female, but if your Super Red pleco ends up being male, it's not that big of a deal if you have fish that would eat the babies. I see them being eaten by my angelfish in my 90g. And fat angelfish bellies. I only grow out what I want to, the babies don't stand a chance in the tank. It's good nutrition for the angelfish. My Columbian tetras would have taken care of that issue too ;) Any fish that hunts tiny small fish and bugs.

Okay cool thank you!! Yeah my Colombian tetra would probably do the same.