PDA

View Full Version : How many Amano?

Caek
02-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Hey! I've seen a few other posts on other websites about amano shrimp and how many you should have, but I havent gotten a clear answer. I have a non-CO2 heavy planted 10 gallon tank with an 11 watt light, 5 platys, a gourami, and 2 apple snails. I ordered some Amano shrimp, and the minimum i could purchase is 12. I know I don't need 12 in the tank for sure, but how many should I keep? I want to make sure algae isnt a problem since I don't run CO2, but use fertilizers for my plants.

If I don't need 12, and need to sell some, is there anyone who would be interested in buying some amano shrimp? I will be happy to sell them once I receive them, as long as you cover shipping.

Platylover
02-21-2018, 05:08 PM
You donít need 12, a group of 4 would be sufficient, but 12 should be fine to. Just wanted to give you a heads up that gourami are notorious for eating shrimp and with the smaller tank size itíll be harder for the shrimp to get away, so it may not go well.

Slaphppy7
02-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the AC.

How long has this tank been set up? How is it filtered? All male or all female platys? What kind of gourami?

Caek
02-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Yeah I thought about that as well. The shrimp are about an inch in size, and I forgot to mention my gourami is a dwarf gourami lol. With all the plants, I think it should be okay. Do you suggest I move the gourami or just watch the tank?

Caek
02-21-2018, 05:10 PM
2 males and 3 females, my gourami is a dwarf gourami. I set it up about a week ago and added plants 4 days go. :)

Platylover
02-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Iíd suggest moving the gourami as thereís already a few stocking issue(IMO) and the gourami would likely love to have them as a snack.

Caek
02-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Okay, thanks a bunch.

Slaphppy7
02-21-2018, 05:26 PM
I keep gouramis with shrimp and have no issues; however, a 10G is really too small for a DG with all of those platys in there, you'll end up with a higher bioload than your filter may be able to handle.

Also, platys breed like mad, so you are going to have more fish in that tank than you bargained for, sooner rather than later.

I highly advise getting a liquid test kit, your tank is not "cycled" unless you did a fishless cycle.

Again, which filter is on the tank?...what heater?

A group of 5-6 amano shrimp would be fine, once the tank is cycled.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492

Caek
02-21-2018, 08:08 PM
I did let the tank cycle for 2 days and 2 nights with nothing but substrate,
and yeah I knew about the Platys and breeding. I was hoping the gourami would eat the fry, for I dont wanna be breeding any fish right now lol.

I tested the water before fish were put in, both ph and ammonia were perfect.

Just got the shrimp, and I'm letting them run around and clean up.
The gourami charged a few times after them, but nothing but a small jerk to keep the shrimp awake lol.

My filter is a topfish 10-40 gallon adjustable filter, and my heater is a 15 watt(if i remember) to keep the water at 75-80 roughly(usually about 78 degrees), with a light to show when it's heating and not. I forget the brand name.

Slaphppy7
02-21-2018, 08:35 PM
I did let the tank cycle for 2 days and 2 nights with nothing but substrate

That will not cycle a tank.

Have a look at this: https://aquariuminfo.org/cycling.html

Slaphppy7
02-22-2018, 12:35 AM
I do not mean to overwhelm you with all of the questions, but we are all here to help, not just with the amano shrimp question you started this thread with...IMO, your bigger concern now should be the health of the inhabitants you already have in the tank

So, more questions: do you have a water test kit?

Do you have a water conditioner?...if so, what kind is it?

What is your source water?..tap water?..a well?

If this is your first fishkeeping experience, you may need to know some basics to keep your fish happy and healthy

The more we know about your tank, the better we can help :22: