PDA

View Full Version : Best Betta Filter for 5 gallon?

labagility
02-20-2018, 05:44 PM
My niece was given a Betta from her boyfriend for Valentines day. I gave her my 5 gallon tank (No QT tank now but I can always use a tub). I want to get her a filter for her set up and was thinking a sponge filter would be ideal. Her betta has gorgeous fins so he would not appreciate current.

She uses Prime during her water changes and understands that weekly water water changes are important. I am giving her my API Master test kit so she can watch the parameters.

Overall I am trying to make sure that she has the knowledge and equipment necessary to take care of her new pet. She really loves him and sent me a text over the weekend of him making a bubble nest.

Slaphppy7
02-20-2018, 05:46 PM
I actually use an AC20 on my 5.5G, flow isn't overwhelming at all...but for a single betta, sponge filter should be just fine...many people use them, I don't like how they take up space in the tank

Platylover
02-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Sponge filters are nice and easy, jsur make sure you get a valve as itíll be to powerful without it. Iíve also used whatever filter comes with the kit and just baffle it, a whisper filter is another option as well.

labagility
02-20-2018, 06:30 PM
That is interesting.

I had baffle my Aqueon 10 for my Betta. He did not appreciate the flow.

labagility
02-20-2018, 06:34 PM
I had no filter to give her, just the tank. My Aqueon filter on my 20L failed so I out the Aqueon QF10 I had and it died, too I went out and bought another AC 50 for my tank and another as a back-up.