PDA

View Full Version : Two male bettas in divided 5 gallon tank

uihawk9868
01-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Hello everyone. I have two male bettas in a five gallon divided tank, they were both put in the tank about two weeks ago. Neither one has ever been in the same tank before. The question is, it seems that betta #1, which I believe is a Plakat betta was acting like he sensed the other betta was present. The divider has always been in place and has perforated holes in to allow water flow into the other side. Is it possible that the Plan at is sensing the other bettas somehow ? If so, any suggestions ? Thank you.

Slaphppy7
01-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Is the divider clear or opaque?

TBH, a 5.5G tank is really only big enough for one betta

uihawk9868
01-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Opaque-black.

angelcraze2
01-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Hormones in the water. Fish release and can sense hormones, they can still sense eachother without seeing visually. I'm with Slaphppy7, unfortunately a 5g is too small for two bettas. Suggestions? If you can get another tank the same as what you have, you can have twin nanos.

BluewaterBoof
01-17-2018, 06:06 PM
I third the above posts. Two bettas in a 5.5g is not appropriate. Regardless of what pet stores tell you, bettas do not come from little puddles. Like any other fish, they love large tanks and thrive in them. If you don't want to upgrade to a larger tank or get a second one so you can separate the bettas, you really should rehome one of the bettas or get rid of both of them and turn your 5.5g into a shrimp tank.

uihawk9868
01-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Thank you all. I didn't even think about the hormone issue.