PDA

View Full Version : The Blue/Green Algae Curse

NoelFae
01-07-2018, 05:06 AM
So forever ago I picked up blue green algae in Ares 10gal and it has never gone away; itís driving me insane

Iím pretty sure it was from plant waste - but my live plants are gone now but I think the algae is still on the decorations and in the gravel.

I was going to buy new and replace the gravel tomorrow but what can I do to get it off all the deco?

Iíve taken everything out of this tank and scrubbed it down so many times and I just canít get rid of this algae for the life of me.

Can I boil the decorations? Would that work?

mac
01-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Three tjings spring to mind as to the possible cause of this issue.
1. To much lighting, or on to long.
2. Possibly over feeding. A easy fix
3. Possible tap water issue. Are you able to test the tap water for Phosphates??

NoelFae
01-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Three tjings spring to mind as to the possible cause of this issue.
1. To much lighting, or on to long.
2. Possibly over feeding. A easy fix
3. Possible tap water issue. Are you able to test the tap water for Phosphates??

The lights are on 2pm to 11pm.
Feeding Iíve never changed 4 pellets, twice every other day
Is there a test that does that? I can test it but we have new water now from moving

mac
01-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Api has a phosphate test kit.
Still doing wc??

Do you have any carbon in your filter?

NoelFae
01-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Api has a phosphate test kit.
Still doing wc??

Do you have any carbon in your filter?

For Ares I do 50% water changes every week unless the blue green algae is all over everything and I need to scrub it down then I change all the water

And nope, Iíve got a sponge and two bags of the bead looking things

Taurus
01-07-2018, 03:01 PM
The lights are on 2pm to 11pm.

Cut back on the lighting period to 4 to 5 hours.

NoelFae
01-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Cut back on the lighting period to 4 to 5 hours.

Someone a while ago told me to try doing a blackout to kill off the algae..so once I clean everything Iím going to give it a shot and then Iíll turn the lights to less again

Taurus
01-07-2018, 03:09 PM
You could also soak the decor in a weak bleach and water solution. Resoak in dechlorinated water before you put it back in the tank.