PDA

View Full Version : A herd of bettas?

WhistlingBadger
09-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Hi, kids. I have been wanting to add something blue to my 55 SE Asia tank. I am leaning toward adding several female bettas. Anyone have experience with keeping multiple female bettas? How about several females and a male? Please advise me!

Cheers--
Tom

mac
09-13-2017, 06:47 PM
I have kept a single male in 55g with no issues.

Also kept multpie females in 55g and 100g no issues for a time. Then ended up separating them.

Depending on stocking and the kh gh a school of dwarf neon rainbows would work.

BluewaterBoof
09-13-2017, 07:18 PM
I would never keep a male and female together unless right before mating.

I've kept two males together in a 55g without issues.

I kept a sorority of females together in a 10g. They fought it out for several days, establishing a pecking order, and then calmed down. I rehomed them after several months, though, so I can't vouch for long-term. Boundava, didn't you mention something about multiple females and issues in that betta write-up I did last month? Wanna jump in on Tom's thread?

Boundava
09-13-2017, 07:32 PM
I have spoken to several betta breeders and they never recommend keeping multiple bettas together long term. Yes they can grow up together-their hormones are accepted by the other fish to a point. If the water parameters change-or you for any reason remove a female from a sorority you can't put her back-she will be killed.

Male and female betta splendens will kill each other-usually the female takes the male out because she is faster than him.

I have had bettas in large community tanks-they do OK but don't live as long as when they have their own tanks (IME) I have also had the King bettas (still can't find an exact ID on them, think Rocksor mentioned it once a long time ago) in community tanks and even had one king with a female splendens at one point. They got along very well and she would follow him around like they were best buddies.

Rocksor
09-13-2017, 07:36 PM
male bettas can kill female bettas through mating disputes.

WhistlingBadger
09-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Depending on stocking and the kh gh a school of dwarf neon rainbows would work.

I love dwarf neon rainbows, but this is a softwater tank with SE Asian fish, so that's two strikes right there...

WhistlingBadger
09-13-2017, 08:22 PM
I have spoken to several betta breeders and they never recommend keeping multiple bettas together long term. Yes they can grow up together-their hormones are accepted by the other fish to a point...I have also had the King bettas (still can't find an exact ID on them, think Rocksor mentioned it once a long time ago) in community tanks and even had one king with a female splendens at one point. They got along very well and she would follow him around like they were best buddies.
Ah, so those sorority tanks you hear about are short term, and fish that grew up together. Interesting.

Never heard of king bettas, and can't find much about them. Are they a separate species or just a bigger, more mellow strain of splendens? Either way, looks like this plan won't work very well. Maybe I'll go the Boof route and try a couple of males and keep a close eye on them. In a tank this size that's heavily planted, maybe they'd do OK.

Boundava
09-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Maybe you can find one of these, bit more peaceful than the splendens

http://www.allabout-aquariumfish.com/2009/12/peaceful-betta-imbellis-fish.html

BluewaterBoof
09-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Maybe I'll go the Boof route and try a couple of males and keep a close eye on them. In a tank this size that's heavily planted, maybe they'd do OK.

Whoa whoa whoa...is this your pearl tank we're talking about? I would not put any bettas in a tank that has pearls in it.

WhistlingBadger
09-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...is this your pearl tank we're talking about? I would not put any bettas in a tank that has pearls in it.

Oh, right...never thought about that. Similar shape, right? Not good. That kind of stuff is why I usually ask on here before I do something. Easy to miss obvious details.

Nat, those are mighty pretty! I'll look into some of the other Betta species. I do remember reading that some of them are much less aggressive. Thanks.

mac
09-14-2017, 12:26 AM
I love dwarf neon rainbows, but this is a softwater tank with SE Asian fish, so that's two strikes right there...Depends. They are south east Asia indonesia and Papua. Depending on how soft you going, but they do prefer harder water.

WhistlingBadger
09-14-2017, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I try to keep this tank between Vietnam and the Malay Peninsula. I'll keep looking. There must be SOMETHING blue out there...Even dwarf gouramis are rude enough to hale from India and Nepal. The nerve of some fish.

Thanks for the input, everybody!

T

waylon101
09-14-2017, 02:33 AM
I had a betta harem in a 30 gallon. They created a pecking order. The top one had no physical bruises or fins nipped. The one under it, a few bruises and nips, the one under that one, a few more and so on until there was one at the bottom that they all pecked on relentlessly. That was my personal experience with them but I have experienced friends who have done them with no problem at all. :shrug:

Rocksor
09-14-2017, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I try to keep this tank between Vietnam and the Malay Peninsula. I'll keep looking. There must be SOMETHING blue out there...Even dwarf gouramis are rude enough to hale from India and Nepal. The nerve of some fish.

Thanks for the input, everybody!

T

blue panchax killifish

Princess Mystery
09-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Multiple female bettas in a tank together is called a sorority tank, and is something you can do for sure!
If when you first put them in you see them fighting, (and by fighting I mean playing what looks like a game of tag,) that's totally normal and your bettas are establishing a pecking order. Females and a male I wouldn't do, but you can try it and see how aggressive your male is. Just make sure to have a back up tank for your male to go in if he is aggressive and you are unsuccessful. Good luck with your fish!

WhistlingBadger
09-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks! I ended up getting two blue females that were living together at the pet store. They are getting along fine and hang out together pretty much all the time. Given the size of my tank, I might try a couple more at some point, but for now, they're doing fine.