PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Sword leaves melting

Law Dog
09-09-2017, 06:38 PM
By melting, I mean they became very thin and transparent. Now they look like someone took a mini-gun to them and blew a thousand holes through the leaves. I have a very low tech setup (i.e. small gravel and a Beamswork 48" LED 6500k light that is on 8hrs/day). I've read some things on the net that suggest it could be an iron deficiency but I'm not sure. I'm still fairly new to live plants.

I also have Crypts and Vals in the tank that are doing OK. Both of those plants have seem to hit a wall if you will with their growth though, but neither are showing signs of dying.

Is there anything I can do (fertilizer or substrate wise) to boost the growth/chances for the plants in my tank? I'm willing to buy ferts but I just don't have the time and money to invest in more lighting or CO2 at this time, nor do I really want to, lol. By substrate, I meant could I add Seachem or Flora Max to what I have now?

***Note *** I have trimmed all of the dying leaves from the plants, leaving only 1 leaf on a plant and 2 on the other.

Rocksor
09-09-2017, 07:00 PM
how long have you had the swords? It could be an adjustment period

Law Dog
09-09-2017, 07:05 PM
how long have you had the swords? It could be an adjustment period

I've had the swords for at least 2 months and the Vals/Crypts since about early May (so 4 months for them).

Rocksor
09-09-2017, 07:26 PM
You shouldnt have to upgrade your lights or add CO2 for the swors. I used a single 48" aqua glo flourescent bulb, no CO2 and fertilization in a 24" deep tank for about 4 amazon swords with no issues growing. I did have melt off initially to about a few stalks, and all I had were swords.

Law Dog
09-09-2017, 08:50 PM
You shouldnt have to upgrade your lights or add CO2 for the swors. I used a single 48" aqua glo flourescent bulb, no CO2 and fertilization in a 24" deep tank for about 4 amazon swords with no issues growing. I did have melt off initially to about a few stalks, and all I had were swords.

Thanks..... I think I'll just keep doing what I have been, and maybe buy a bottle of liquid fert to add after my W/C's. I've read about pro's and con's to adding flourite to regular gravel. I'll take it 1 step at a time though.

Rocksor
09-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks..... I think I'll just keep doing what I have been, and maybe buy a bottle of liquid fert to add after my W/C's. I've read about pro's and con's to adding flourite to regular gravel. I'll take it 1 step at a time though.

Sounds like a plan. Just remember that not all plants work well with all water chemistry. Keep it simple and focus on the ones that you can successfully keep without letting BBA or massive algae blooms make taking care of your tank more work tha necessary.

SueD
09-10-2017, 01:44 AM
Also keep an eye on your pleco, if he's still in there. I had a large amazon sword with a bushy nose pleco. He used to like to rasp on the leaves so that became as you described - thin and transparent. I trimmed them off regularly.

waylon101
09-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Sword plants melting to a thin white is often times an Iron Deficiency and tons of small holes are a a sign of potassium deficiency. Hope that helps thumbs2:

Law Dog
09-10-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm going to pick up a bottle of SeaChem Flourish today to see if that helps. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

darkmerlin21
09-10-2017, 03:17 PM
I use root tabs for my swords and it seems to do the trick. I haven't tried using just flourish.. I do have some. You'll have to let us know how your swords respond.

angelcraze2
09-10-2017, 03:27 PM
I second the root tabs! Swords are very heavy root feeders, I give my swords a DIY Osmotote tab or Flourish gravel supplements and they love me for it. Always trim off old leaves that turn transparent or develop holes at the base of the plant, this will stop your plant from trying to correct/repair damaged leaves and put energy into growing new healthy ones. The ferts stay at the substrate for the most part, so less worries about too much ferts in the water to create a potential algae issue.

Law Dog
03-18-2018, 05:48 AM
Sorry for the long delay in update but with 2 kids in 2 sports each my time is stretched thin!

The Flourish seemed to help a little but I think I need root tabs. Not to mention my BN Pleco chews the living crap out of the leaves! Both plants are still alive but not flourishing.

angelcraze2
03-18-2018, 01:59 PM
I have the same issue in my low TDS Blackwater tank, I don't bother adding any ferts to that tank, but I'm sure a root tab will help a lot. But as Rocksor said, sometimes any given plant will refuse to grow and only cause more issues. I think the reason your crypts have halted in growth is because your sword is stealing all the nutrients (and still is asking for more), they are very very heavy nutrient feeding plants that suck up the most thru their roots.

OnTheFly
03-18-2018, 08:45 PM
My swords need to eat. No amount of water column ferts keep them completely happy. Mine need their roots fed or they don't thrive.

Law Dog
03-20-2018, 01:03 AM
My swords need to eat. No amount of water column ferts keep them completely happy. Mine need their roots fed or they don't thrive.

Thanks OTF, I'm going to pick up some root tabs on my next trip to the LFS. If they work then I'll make my own.

Law Dog
05-01-2018, 06:29 PM
So I picked up some Seachem root tabs from my LFS about 1 month ago......WOW, what a difference in the swords! They've doubled in size. I'm still using the liquid fert in the water column but not as much. All of my plants are thriving now. Thanks OnTheFly for finally pushing me to get the tabs! LOL

Boundava
05-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Flourish root tabs are the best for swords, they are heavy root feeders. Glad to read all is going well for you and your plants.

angelcraze2
05-01-2018, 07:10 PM
I'm glad to hear it too!

Law Dog
12-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Flourish root tabs are the best for swords, they are heavy root feeders. Glad to read all is going well for you and your plants.

That's what I purchased.... Seachem Flourish Tabs.

After the initial signs of improvement, they've regressed to what they were but continue to grow new leaves.... BUT the older leaves die off just as fast as the new ones come in. IDK what else to do as they won't die off completely but also won't grow past 3" high before the leaves die off. I've read that swords love iron but haven't found anything I can add to the substrate that contains high levels of iron. Maybe I'll put a piece of raw iron under their roots, lol.

angelcraze2
12-11-2018, 07:05 PM
I'd say my Amazon swords have about 7-10 leaves each. I'm pruning old leaves at least weekly. I think it's advised to add a new tab every 6-12 months, I add more when the plant looks like it needs a boost, probably every 8 months. Maybe try splitting the Seachem tabs in two if it seems the growth is too much at first. API makes a tab that contains iron.
https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Aquarium-Fertilizer-0-4-Ounce/dp/B003OYMOWQ

Boundava
12-11-2018, 08:45 PM
That's what I purchased.... Seachem Flourish Tabs.

After the initial signs of improvement, they've regressed to what they were but continue to grow new leaves.... BUT the older leaves die off just as fast as the new ones come in. IDK what else to do as they won't die off completely but also won't grow past 3" high before the leaves die off. I've read that swords love iron but haven't found anything I can add to the substrate that contains high levels of iron. Maybe I'll put a piece of raw iron under their roots, lol.

I know Osmocote Plus has Fe in it-something like 0.46% (.02 water soluble and 0.0? chelated-can't see the images online), but Flourish tabs have more; 2.2% all water soluble so I am unsure if Fe is the issue. Are you still adding fertilizers to the water column?

What type of lighting do you have on the tank and how far is it from the plant? May not be getting enough light along with the fertilizer.

I also see you added the root tabs in May, have you added any since then? You may need to add them every few (5-6) months-at least near the swords.

angelcraze2
12-12-2018, 01:31 AM
Ok I just took a look, they have more than 7-10, more like 15-22, but what I mean is they change the way they grow depending on how often I add the root tabs. They might blast out growth for a few rounds of leaves, leaves double in size, then die down a bit with regular sized leaves but I remove leaves if they start to look ugly. I'll strip an amazon sword right down to 5 leaves and give it a root tab if it needs it, they always come back.
I use different brands of root tabs, different types, but find the DIY Osmocote tabs are just as effective as the ones made for aquariums, it depends on if you prefer convenience to price.

Good to know Seachem tabs has iron too. It seems I fell victim to API's marketing ploy "API plus iron" tabs lol.

Law Dog
12-13-2018, 12:19 PM
I know Osmocote Plus has Fe in it-something like 0.46% (.02 water soluble and 0.0? chelated-can't see the images online), but Flourish tabs have more; 2.2% all water soluble so I am unsure if Fe is the issue. Are you still adding fertilizers to the water column?

What type of lighting do you have on the tank and how far is it from the plant? May not be getting enough light along with the fertilizer.

I also see you added the root tabs in May, have you added any since then? You may need to add them every few (5-6) months-at least near the swords.

I added more tabs in August, and my lighting is a Beamswork 6500k 48" that sits 1" above the lid. The tank is 26" deep. I also had my old flouro light kick on for 4hrs in my middle of my LED time but that increase algae so I stopped. I add ferts to the water column every 2 weeks after a WC.

I plan on making my own tabs next time using Osmocote.

Boundava
12-13-2018, 02:24 PM
I am not familiar with the light so I am unsure if it is reaching the whole 27" height of the tank, that is a tall tank. Also I think if you dosed your liquid fertilizers on a weekly basis it may help as well.

angelcraze2
12-13-2018, 04:09 PM
My 120g is 26" deep and my 90g is 24" deep. My lights are also 1" off the glass canopy and I use Beamswork fixtures. Is it the 0.5W diode EA Beamwork 6500k? Or the 1W diode HE Beamswork 6500k?

Law Dog
12-14-2018, 01:56 AM
Is it the 0.5W diode EA Beamwork 6500k? Or the 1W diode HE Beamswork 6500k?

I'm 99% sure it's the 0.5w. I've been debating on whether to upgrade it to a 1w FS.

angelcraze2
12-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Yeah, you don't have very much light for the plants with that fixture alone. PAR for that fixture is only 11 @18" depth (where your swords are. At the substrate, you only have about 7 PAR!

PAR is available light for your plants to use. Plants don't use the same spectrum we see with our eyes and perceive as brightness. For example, we perceive green and yellow light as brightness, but plants use very little of this. They use mostly red and blue light which does not look very bright to us. Also blue light penetrates the water the furthest, not green and yellow, so that why PAR is so important to consider.

I have the 1W HE-type Beamswork fixtures for my foreground in both my 120g and 90g tanks. I also have a 0.5W fixture in the back. The 1W fixtures I currently have are obsolete now, and I think the new HE 6500k have 120 lenses instead of the 90 lenses on mine. I find my 1W fixtures focus the light straight down and doesn't illuminate the top portion of the tank very well. That's one reason I supplement with the 0.5W EA fixtures.

But i'm pretty impressed with the newer fspec BW fixtures. I have the EA fspec on my 18" deep tank, or looks so dim, but grows my plants surprisingly well. The PAR on these is just a bit more than the 6500k EA fixtures. The spectrum is cooler, but has red, blue and green diodes to bring out more colors in the fish and plants. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Beamswork's 6500k color rendition, it looks too yellow for me.

So to sum it up, if I was to buy a new fixture to grow my low profile plants in my deep tanks, I'd get the DA fspec. I already know the 1W DHL (HE type) fixtures grow my low profile plants well. The DA fspec with 5 rows of diodes is almost exact to the HE! Here's some PAR data

I'd keep your 6500k EA fixture on the back half of the tank as well. I think it will make a nice overall color rendition for you. Hope all this makes enough sense!

And also PAR data for other fixtures

Approx PAR guide
Low light 10-30 PAR
Med light 31-80 PAR
High light 81+ PAR

angelcraze2
12-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Because of the 90 lense on the DHL fixtures, the PAR is greater. Also the reason they don't illuminate the top portion very well. But the new HE replacement fixtures don't have that problem, and PAR is just a little less, so if you adore the 6500k color rendition, maybe go with the HE 1W instead of the DA spec which have similar PAR values for the substrate. It's really what you prefer between the two.

Law Dog
12-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Because of the 90 lense on the DHL fixtures, the PAR is greater. Also the reason they don't illuminate the top portion very well. But the new HE replacement fixtures don't have that problem, and PAR is just a little less, so if you adore the 6500k color rendition, maybe go with the HE 1W instead of the DA spec which have similar PAR values for the substrate. It's really what you prefer between the two.

I guess I didn't do enough research when I bought this light. I've searched for the 1w light but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. I did notice in your previous post the DA version which I believe is the PENT, it has a PAR rating of 36 at 24". That's better than the HE 1w version. So, I guess my next question would be, if I get the DA should I just get the white/blue or FSpec version? I really can't afford a higher end light at this point, nor could I justify it with the boss (wife), lol.

Law Dog
12-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Nevermind my question above. I see that the Lumens are the same for both the white/blue and FSpec lights, so basically the only difference is one is full spectrum which should make the tank look different from what I'm use to. I think I may just try liquid and tab fertilizers for now and see how the plants react.

OH, I nearly forgot! I made my own root tabs last night. I went out and bought Osmocote Plus 14-14-14 last night as well as a bag of 00 gel tabs. While I only made around 75 or so, that should get me started. I still have around 175 empty gel tabs in the bag waiting to be filled, lol. I plan on adding them when I do the next WC, which will be Tuesday.

angelcraze2
12-15-2018, 10:26 PM
So are you thinking a DA fspec for the front and the EA 6500k for the background? I think that would work just fine ;) The fspec spectrum is cooler overall, like 10000k along with red, blue and green diodes. I like it personally and PAR ratings are pretty impressive for a budget fixture. The fspec will brighten (whiten) the 6500k spectrum, and also bring out red blue and green colors too. I recommend it.

Law Dog
12-22-2018, 12:26 AM
Well, I did a 1/2 overhaul on the tank Tuesday and today. I split one of my Crypt pontederiifolia's as it had produced another bulb. I then added a Windelov Java Fern to the smaller piece of driftwood, took out 50% of the Vals and added 2 pots of staurogyne repens, which got me 9 plants. I ended up taking out that massive rock that I paid $45 for years ago to make room. I took the struggling Amazon swords, put them close together and on one side of the tank with 2 root tabs.

I planted the Windelov and 1 pot of repens on Tuesday and they're already starting to root, so I'm doing something right. Just bought another pot of repens today as well as a smaller piece of DW that I plan on putting another Windelov on. Now I need to research what to replace the Vals with because I'm sooo done with trimming them every 2-4 weeks. They spread so fast! I'm leaning towards a combination of Aponogeton Ulvaceus on each side and something reddish in the middle. I will attempt to take a pic now and post it if I can remember how.

Law Dog
12-22-2018, 01:08 AM
Full tank view

Amazon Sword

Windelov Java Fern and Staurogyne Repens

And before anyone comments, I realize that the new gravel doesn't match the old, but it was years and years ago that the old gravel was put in. Not to mention it was 2 different colors originally but my Africans mixed the colors up pretty well. I plan on adding more gravel near the back after I rip out the Vals and make it more slanted toward the front.

Slaphppy7
12-22-2018, 04:16 PM
I happen to like the different colored gravel, sort of a beach or creek-bed theme, in a way

Shouldn't take long for it all to match up, as it ages

Boundava
12-22-2018, 05:12 PM
I agree love the rearranging and the gravel, it's got a flow to it from one end to the other.

angelcraze2
12-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Agree as well about the gravel :) I have that crypt as well in one of my tanks, do you know what it is? The one in the right side foreground.

I also really like the Val haha. Why don't you let it grow and sweep the surface a bit. I'm trying to grow my val like that in my 120g lol. My angels keep using the leaves as a breeding site and destroying them inadvertently by cleaning them too hard. It's the americana rubra type, but I like the narrow leaves of your Vals. I think the Vals look amazing with your angelfish, who is beautiful btw!

Oh and congrats on getting the staurogyne to root. Mine is not doing as well :cussingwhite:

Law Dog
12-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Agree as well about the gravel :) I have that crypt as well in one of my tanks, do you know what it is? The one in the right side foreground.

That is a green variation of Wendtii.

I also really like the Val haha. Why don't you let it grow and sweep the surface a bit.

The Vals on the left side are actually sweeping the top. They're about 28-30 inches long!

I think the Vals look amazing with your angelfish, who is beautiful btw!

Oh and congrats on getting the staurogyne to root. Mine is not doing as well :cussingwhite:

Thank you! I actually still have the other 3 angels in there. All 4 are about full grown, but I still can't sex them. One developed the traditional "lump" on it's head for males, but I've read that it's not 100% accurate.

The staurogyne are doing fine so far, but it's only been 5 days for half and 3 days for the others. Hopefully the new fertilizer will do it's job and I can have a nice carpet in that area.

angelcraze2
12-24-2018, 12:17 AM
That is a green variation of Wendtii.

I don't know....the stuff I have in my tank that looks like that, I really don't think it's wendtii. I have wendtii green (or bronze) in another tank and it grows so differently. Maybe I'm not familiar with how green wendtii 'green' is, but the stuff I thought it was is a bright green and longer stems I think. It doesn't spread the same way as wendtii either :shrug: I'll try to find out.

The Vals on the left side are actually sweeping the top. They're about 28-30 inches long!

Oh ok, I love that look, striving for that in my 120g. Are you considering keeping them? I'll take it off your hands if you really don't want it hahaha. But really, I think they suit your tank well.

Thank you! I actually still have the other 3 angels in there. All 4 are about full grown, but I still can't sex them. One developed the traditional "lump" on it's head for males, but I've read that it's not 100% accurate.

The staurogyne are doing fine so far, but it's only been 5 days for half and 3 days for the others. Hopefully the new fertilizer will do it's job and I can have a nice carpet in that area.

Oh wow, I'll have to take a better look (blush) I love angelfish, in case you didn't know lol, I love keeping them in larger tall tanks like yours. It allows angels to display to their max potential. You just don't get the same dynamic in a shallow long style tank IMO. How do you like keeping the 4 so far? So they are not showing any courting behavior? The 'hump' is not 100% accurate, no, but it's an indication from what I've seen. The only way to know for sure is to observe the breeding tubes when they are spawning. If they are not being aggressive with one another, that's great, nice to hear it :)

Law Dog
12-24-2018, 04:48 PM
I don't know....the stuff I have in my tank that looks like that, I really don't think it's wendtii. I have wendtii green (or bronze) in another tank and it grows so differently. Maybe I'm not familiar with how green wendtii 'green' is, but the stuff I thought it was is a bright green and longer stems I think. It doesn't spread the same way as wendtii either :shrug: I'll try to find out.

They could be a variant. I've read alot of articles on them and it seems there's been alot of cross breeding of them to achieve varying aspets.

Oh ok, I love that look, striving for that in my 120g. Are you considering keeping them? I'll take it off your hands if you really don't want it hahaha. But really, I think they suit your tank well.
I may end up keeping some on the left side of the tank. I originally had them all across the back (still do) but they have become too hard to manage as they propagate like mad! I had them spreading in every area of the tank.

Oh wow, I'll have to take a better look (blush) I love angelfish, in case you didn't know lol, I love keeping them in larger tall tanks like yours. It allows angels to display to their max potential. You just don't get the same dynamic in a shallow long style tank IMO. How do you like keeping the 4 so far? So they are not showing any courting behavior? The 'hump' is not 100% accurate, no, but it's an indication from what I've seen. The only way to know for sure is to observe the breeding tubes when they are spawning. If they are not being aggressive with one another, that's great, nice to hear it :)[/QUOTE]

I would have never guessed you love angelfish! LOL. I agree about the height of my tank for displaying them, it really lets them extend their fins. I have pics in another thread of 2 others in my tank. I did lose 1 last year for unknown reasons. One day it was swimming along, eating and showing no signs of distress and then next day it was on the bottom of the tank dead. I replaced it with a similar looking color, but it's top & bottom fins are the traditional "points" which differed from the one that died. That one had the rounded top fin which resembled a sail.

As far as aggression, I don't see to much anymore. When I first introduced the "rescued" angelfish, the Koi angel you see in the pic(s) was constantly bullying it. That went on for over 1 month, but now the rolls are reversed. On occasion they will start what I call "mouth fighting" but as soon as one of them backs down it's over....no chasing around the tank. The "rescued" angelfish is usually the ones that starts it now, lol. I wonder if it was not in the best health and thus was being picked on after it was introduced into the tank.

I'll have to research and pay attention more to see if any of this is courting behavior.

angelcraze2
12-24-2018, 05:37 PM
I think you are right about the crypts. The ones I was referring to in my tank don't look as I remembered (blush). They look similar to wendtii, but with narrow leaves, and they don't spread as well, the root structure remains more like chunks and don't grow nearly as quickly. I'll be moving some to a new tank one day, if it's a wendtii variant, it should take over quickly. Thanks for the info ;)

What is your secret with the vals? They are growing in gravel? I'm just kidding, I know they will grow in buckets of gravel, mine are just taking a while to get going again :protest:

Thank you for writing about your angels. Sorry for your mysterious loss, but at least it wasn't anything to worry about and the fish didn't suffer. I lost a large platinum angelfish like that, I think he got a baby MTS lodged in his throat :( One of those things. Interesting about the rescue, it can be challenging adding to the hierarchy once they are matured.

As far as breeding behavior, maybe count yourself lucky they are not spawning yet. Ime, they have enough room in a 100g tank to attempt it though. My angels take turns spawning, the spawning pair will have all the other angels pushed on the opposite side of the tank. It's pretty chippy for a couple days if I leave the eggs in the tank. When two pair up, they will start to chase other angels away from a spawning site (usually a vertical surface such as an amazon sword leaf, thicker val leaf, heater, filter intake pipe, dritwood, or anything you add purposely to serve as a spawning site) and start to clean it off. You may notice the male poking at the female's abdomen and pushing her nose up backward a little bit. This is to encourage ovulation, I think. You may notice them testing eachother's parental strength by lip-locking and pushing, but I don't see a lot of that in a community angel tank, they are usually more concerned with keeping the other angels away. In my tank with multiple males, it took me a while to sex them because all 4 young angels turned out to be male. No one was laying eggs, so I couldn't tell. I looked really close one day when I realized how large they had grown, and noticed a couple of them developed a more prominent forehead. Just after that, one of those young angels hooked up with my more mature females, confirming he's male.

There is a sticky in the angelfish section with pics to help sex them
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=75528

Law Dog
01-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Update on the Swords..... They seem to be doing VERY well with their new location in the tank and the DIY ferts I made. In the 1 month or so since replanting and adding the ferts, they've each grown 4 new leaves and 1" in height with no die off whatsoever. I can't wait to get the new light as it should help not only the swords, but every other plant in the tank. I really hope that this continues as I love the look of the Amazon Sword.

Law Dog
01-08-2019, 01:17 PM
:

You're question and response to my answer has bugged me ever since. After doing some research, the best I can come up with is that I possibly have a species of Cryptocoryne parva as it resembles nearly every picture that I come across on the internet. From the way the leaves grow, their height and color of them as well as the leaf stems, it all matches. Looks like my LFS supplier either mislabeled them or doesn't know their Crypts.....they were labeled as Wendtii.

angelcraze2
01-08-2019, 05:23 PM
There must be different types of parva as well, because I had parva in the exact same tank, it melted now :cussing: but it was green and barely was tall enough to peak through the gravel. Very very tiny. Then there's another crypt in that tank lol, that looks like the stuff you and I have, but it is smaller than that stuff, and larger than the parva I had. Or at least labelled parva. Not sure what else or would've been though. Oh well, it's a nice crypt, glad you and I have them.

Law Dog
01-09-2019, 12:38 AM
There must be different types of parva as well, because I had parva in the exact same tank, it melted now :cussing: but it was green and barely was tall enough to peak through the gravel. Very very tiny. Then there's another crypt in that tank lol, that looks like the stuff you and I have, but it is smaller than that stuff, and larger than the parva I had. Or at least labelled parva. Not sure what else or would've been though. Oh well, it's a nice crypt, glad you and I have them.

That taller one you're referring to is actually from the same pot as the ones next to it, although I can't remember if you can see them in my photo's (I haven't looked back). That one came out of my son's 5g tank tank that had blasting sand as the substrate. It had been in my tank for about 3 weeks when I took that pic so it had some melting in between the transplant and pic. It seems to be starting to grow again though. So in short, the one's I originally placed in my tank are alot shorter and didn't do as well, but the 1/2 placed in the 5g, well you can see the difference. I think it was mainly due to the light.....it was alot closer to light in the 5g compared to my tank. That will all change next week as I'm ordering the new light this Friday.

Boundava
01-09-2019, 02:38 AM
Update on the Swords..... They seem to be doing VERY well with their new location in the tank and the DIY ferts I made. In the 1 month or so since replanting and adding the ferts, they've each grown 4 new leaves and 1" in height with no die off whatsoever. I can't wait to get the new light as it should help not only the swords, but every other plant in the tank. I really hope that this continues as I love the look of the Amazon Sword.

That is fantastic news, I am so very glad for you and your plants! :thumbup: