PDA

View Full Version : Moving with fish

NoelFae
08-30-2017, 11:10 AM
So we're moving soon, and I was wondering what the best way to move a fish is with as little stress as possible? I have a betta in a 10gal [emoji4]

Boundava
08-30-2017, 12:37 PM
How far are you moving?

NoelFae
08-30-2017, 12:39 PM
How far are you moving?

About half an hour, 45 minutes away

Rocksor
08-30-2017, 12:47 PM
in a smaller cooler with a gallon of water if you have one. The container should provided about 6" depth swimming space. No aeration needed for the short trip. You can add a drop of Prime if you want.

Boundava
08-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Well since its not too far you can put him back in a betta cup and sit him in the cupholder of your car. You can handle the tank one of two ways since its a 10 gallon. You can break it down completely; removing everything (you can leave the substrate-but remove as much water as possible). Or you can empty about 90% of the water and move the tank like that. If there are live plants, keep the lid on and it should stay humid enough for them for the ride. If not then cover the tank with some plastic wrap or a large kitchen garbage bag to keep it humid.

Word of warning-IF the tanks is too heavy with the substrate, then I would recommend emptying it completely. You don't want to stress the tank out.

Mr. Betta may be grumpy for a bit-but he will be OK.

Rocksor
08-30-2017, 12:55 PM
I would break down the tank, since it is a glass tank. No point in stressing out the seals of the silicone.

SueD
08-30-2017, 01:45 PM
You can also just bag the fish up as a fish store would. Fish are shipped this way all the time over a few days, and you're only going for less than 1 hour.