PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful When Buying this Heater!

Faith
08-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Hey all. After not keeping Bettas for nearly 5 years due to an outbreak of Fish TB and the heartbreak that followed, I decided to get back in the game yesterday and I bought a Betta. I also bought an Aqueon 10W Submersible Heater from PetCo which was a mistake. It clouded the water and caused Squid, my fish, to lay on his side at the bottom of the tank. I thought it was just that one heater so I returned it and bought another one of the same kind, but the same thing happened. Luckily, Squid is doing just fine now and there is no long term damage, but I shudder to think about what would've happened if I hadn't been paying attention. I would use caution when buying this heater or just not buy it at all. Here's the link to what I bought: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-submersible-aquarium-heater-10w

BluewaterBoof
08-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Sounds like temperature was set too high, which made it too hot for your fish and caused a bacterial bloom in the water. Did you adjust the thermostat on the heaters when you started to run them, or did you just plug them in and put them into the tank?