PDA

View Full Version : This is not right

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 12:50 AM
Alright a week or so posted a picture of the problem on a shrimp forum, was assured all was well. I cannot believe that this is normal. Two of these guys look fine, one does not. I've got lots of berried ladies and have had no deaths. This shrimp didn't suddenly become like this it's been progressing for at least a month. She swims around fine, eats fine but she does seem to move around slower than the rest of the shrimp not noticeably unless you're watching her really but enough to notice when you pay attention. I honestly don't think she's molted since she drew my attention a few weeks ago, I can always immediately find her if she's not behind something in the tank.

No other shrimp look or display anything like this and the past few days it seems to have gotten even worse looking. Do I need to euthanize her? I'm getting ready to start moving RCS back to their new tank and out of the Amanos tank today and I'd rather not catch her twice.

First photo is today, other two photos are a couple weeks ago and I can't seem to find the one I took a month or more before that when I'd first noticed her. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/218d87e4f13b7a761605c44537773e02.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/9aef46b703e96c52f7d10c9b91da6144.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/48e98daaa91cbb5ef73dbdc6da31e840.jpg

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 12:58 AM
Sorry you probably want tank info. Parameters rock solid stable pH 8.0-8.2, kH 10, gH 15. Ammonia 0, nitrIte 0 and nitrAte has never hit above 20 in my shrimp tank though I do believe it was fairly close when the Amanos were still there and I was out of town so they didn't get the biweekly water change once.

Temp in the beginning was at 78 and after realizing that was to high was 74 until the move to the Amano tank which is set for 72. I did have several weeks of high heat and all tanks were running close to 80 I can't remember what she would have been at but before the RCS tank started leaking it was running around 77-78.

Again I want to stress that no other shrimp Amano or RCS has anything like this going on. If it's a disease I want her out, if it's a molting issue I'll see what happens if it's just normal I guess I'll let it go lol I just struggle to believe that she looks normal.

Slaphppy7
08-16-2017, 12:11 PM
I would take a wait-and-see approach, it may be ready to molt...I don't know of any shrimp diseases that would cause the color change

angelcraze2
08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Idk? I've never seen that either. Have you tried this place for info? http://www.shrimpspot.com

Idk your plans, but could you leave her on her own with the amanos? I wouldn't want to see a disease spread around your RCS tank.

Slaphppy7
08-16-2017, 04:56 PM
I've never visited that site.

If it's acting fine, I'd just keep a close eye on things.

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 05:13 PM
You can kind of see it now, she was always very dark red and had almost black or purple to her. When you look at the shrimp family tree she was like the kanoko (*sp) branch off the Sakuras.

I'll just leave her in the amanos for now since I'm on hold with my Amano project anyway. I kind of planned to leave lower grade in there for a while if I still had a good number of quality RCS for the display tank. Easy cull separation for now.

I guess we'll just wait, lol I don't like it, hopefully she'll molt and my fretting will have been for nothing. Maybe it's cause she's so dark she looks so different before molting and maybe they don't molt as often as I thought they did. She's stressing me out lolhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/e832cc756f93791b94bb1b0d15a27bfa.jpg

Slaphppy7
08-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Don't have shrimpie stress, not good for you, lol.

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Don't have shrimpie stress, not good for you, lol.Nope not a bit lol but darn it if I haven't had the worst string of luck with my tanks lately and I'm a bit paranoid now. I've put everything on hold other than feeding or dosing ferts on every tank and dosing has even been reduced. I'm probably being overly vigilant at this point but I can't help it!

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 06:08 PM
And it seems today she's not doing much of anything, just hanging out in the same spot since I turned lights on hasn't really moved much, maybe an inch. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/59d75292259a864441dde3451f4fcb0c.jpg

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Hahaha stumbled over this looking for something else just now, this is her apparently before the fourth of July when she first started looking out of sorts. Hadn't realized HOW long it'd been wasn't looking back far enough. All I know from my photo log is this photo was sometime between June 10th and the fourth of July. She's been looking off longer than I'd thought. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/4de253c6a4d78f90531494b85d7bd86a.jpg

Slaphppy7
08-16-2017, 07:00 PM
How many RCs do you have, again?....I'd never think to "track" just one of mine, lol

sfsamm
08-16-2017, 08:37 PM
I've got 40 maybe 50 mostly adult shrimp and I have no idea how many shrimplets. She's always looked very different than the rest though so she's easy to pick out. Always been a darker color with the black/purple looking areas. And she's never gotten berried. I keep hoping she will since I wouldn't mind seeing what he throws for color.

mermaidwannabe
08-17-2017, 05:03 AM
Could it be just a genetic color variance, not attributable to anything wrong?

sfsamm
08-17-2017, 06:29 AM
Could it be just a genetic color variance, not attributable to anything wrong?I imagine anything is possible. But I don't think she's very attractive anymore if that's the case lol she's gotten a bit mangey looking.

BluewaterBoof
08-17-2017, 04:23 PM
I had some female cherries who had that discoloration stripe along the back like yours, although the stripes weren't as broad. Never had any issue with mine, but they also weren't lethargic.

sfsamm
08-19-2017, 05:38 AM
Figured out this morning that the thermometer in the Amano tank is reading higher than it is. Feeding I noticed that Amano tank felt much cooler than RCS tank even though heaters are both set at 74 and thermometers read 74, dropped the thermometer from the Congo tank which reads 1-2 degrees lower than the expensive digital heater and found it read 66 almost tipped over! Anyway tipped their heater up a notch as it appears the heater is accurate where the thermometer was not (I generally have the opposite result). This evening before work she looked markedly better and back to her old colors with just the stripe some seem to get. She's not looking ALL dull anymore. I actually went ahead and moved her to the RCS tank before leaving since I'm confident she's not contagious now and I can see her easier. :)
BluewaterBoof, a few of my females get it but it I thought it was a molting thing that came and went. And actually hadn't realized till you mentioned it that it was only the females. I'll have to poke around that idea a bit just out of curiosity. I seem to notice it mostly in berried ladies and after they hatch eggs or that's what I thought anyway lol maybe that lines always there on those that have it and she's the only one I can pick out of the crowd lol

William
08-19-2017, 08:02 AM
Happy to hear that there is a happy ending to this story.

Slaphppy7
08-19-2017, 03:19 PM
Glad the shrimp is OK...I use a little inexpensive calibrateable digital pocket thermometer to spot-check the temps in my tanks.

RiversGirl
08-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Terrific news on your shrimp!

Glad you found the temp issue with your tank. A good thermometer is not expensive, but you do need to have the ability to calibrate it.
I use the same one, recommended from Slaphppy7 awhile back.

taylor-digital-pocket-thermometer-lcd-5-in-l-9842/i/G1117767

It works very well and I trust it far more than (either of my previous two) other thermometers. One is even a digital thermometer that had good reviews -- I replaced it with the hand-held

mermaidwannabe
08-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Always nice when we can diagnose a problem accurately and easily fix it. Wish ALL problems could be like that! Yeah, right! In a PERFECT world, not this one!

sfsamm
08-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Haha she also molted sometime today, maybe last night, AND is berried now! She almost looks like a different shrimp. So I guess lesson learned on shrimp temps lol and I will pick up that one linked above so that I have something solid to go buy as obviously my cheap marina thermometers are more inaccurate than I'd realized. I like the idea of having one portable one to check everything with on occasion!

Thank you!

BluewaterBoof
08-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Had to jump over to this thread again. Someone brought this issue up this morning in a shrimp-keeping group on Facebook. It's quite normal and is referred to as a "backline." Neos usually throw one out every once in a while, and sometime caridina do, as well. The width of the backline varies, but it is completely normal and isn't a sign of sickness or anything :)

sfsamm
08-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Had to jump over to this thread again. Someone brought this issue up this morning in a shrimp-keeping group on Facebook. It's quite normal and is referred to as a "backline." Neos usually throw one out every once in a while, and sometime caridina do, as well. The width of the backline varies, but it is completely normal and isn't a sign of sickness or anything :)THAT is great to know I was very concerned as it was developing on her, it seemed so much more pronounced than any other time I'd seen it on the others. Thank you for letting me know.

RiversGirl
08-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Had to jump over to this thread again. Someone brought this issue up this morning in a shrimp-keeping group on Facebook. It's quite normal and is referred to as a "backline." Neos usually throw one out every once in a while, and sometime caridina do, as well. The width of the backline varies, but it is completely normal and isn't a sign of sickness or anything :)

Great information! Thanks for telling us the term.

BluewaterBoof
08-21-2017, 07:49 PM
No problem. Not sure if that is officially a technical term, but it seemed to be fairly known in the shrimp group. Some others tossed out "racing stripe," but I like backline a bit more.

sfsamm
08-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Racing stripe sounds like an appealing looking thing lol backline sounds more appropriate lol as I think often when I've seen it, it detracts from their appearance.

BluewaterBoof
08-21-2017, 08:26 PM
From a little bit of digging around, it seems as though backlines are actually purposefully bred by some people.

I agree, though. If I cared much about my cherries' appearance, I would have culled the backlines out. The 29g that I had my cherry colony in was just too big and too heavily-planted for culling to be a practical method. I'm gonna dig around in my old journal...I'm sure I had a photo of one of my backlines in there...

BluewaterBoof
08-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Not the greatest photo in the world, but found one of a backline I had a couple years back. Jeebus, she wasn't very attractive, was she???