PDA

View Full Version : Help Tony

Boundava
08-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Well as I state in the video, went to Petco Friday night for cat food, saw a yellow koi betta which needed some help. Took him home and he is less lethargic than yesterday, but refuses to eat anything. Tried some live white worms, frozen blood worms defrosted in garlic guard and cut into 1/3rds, and then some community pellets coated in GG and dropped in (they sink even when dry). Even defrosted some Repashy grub pie in GG and cut into bitty pieces-no go.

Any recommendations as to what to do would be great, I change out 50% his water every morning/night and add ParaGuard with the tank water I use to refill his little tank.

https://youtu.be/Xi29Jt5aLrQ

Silbar
08-06-2017, 07:48 PM
You are such a softy for sick fish. I hope Tony recovers and lives a long life with you. At least he has a good chance with your excellent care.

Boundava
08-06-2017, 09:02 PM
I am a softy to sick fish would help them all if i could.
I hope he starts eating.

Slaphppy7
08-06-2017, 09:27 PM
He's very cool looking, haven't seen that kind of betta before.

I hope your efforts to save him pay off, he's in a much better place, THANK YOU on his behalf for giving him a fighting chance.

Rocksor
08-06-2017, 09:31 PM
call petco and ask what they feed their betta

SueD
08-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Not that I look often, but I've never seen a betta with that coloring - he's beautiful. Have you tried frozen brine shrimp yet? Maybe even just some all purpose flakes or Bug Bites if you have any or can get them.

RiversGirl
08-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Best wishes for you as you help Tony. He is in great hands, and most fortunate that you were the one to pick him up.

Boundava
08-09-2017, 01:42 AM
Well petco said they feed omega one pellets, had some and he wouldn't eat any two days ago, then that night I thought I was going to loose him; he was vertical and listing and not really breathing. I netted him and did a 100% water change on his little tank, added some subwassertang to the little tank and the next morning expected to find him dead-but he was swimming around moving from top to bottom-though not very active- I still took it as a good sign. Tried to feed him yesterday-no with omega pellets, no with Northfin pellets, no with community pellets, no with frozen bloodworms or live white worms.

So I tried again today-but just with frozen food, he ate one mysis shrimp-but nothing else, baby steps I guess. I think I have a package of elive flakes in the freezer, I may try that since he seemed to keep looking up so I need something that will float. If not I guess I will grab some flakes at the store. I haven't fed fish flakes in about 20 years, I find them to be full of more fillers than pellets, wafers or sticks. The only ones I used recently are the Elive and I break them up into a powder type food for my small mouthed fish.

RiversGirl
08-09-2017, 02:03 AM
Good news that you got him to eat a little bit. I'll remain hopeful.

Rocksor
08-09-2017, 03:24 AM
so his container is completely enclosed and only gets new water when you do a water change?

Do you have methylene blue?

mac
08-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Hey nat,

Stark is a handsome fellow. A color which is new to me though.

With his feeding though, he really looks in good condition to me, but the lack of eating could be due to stress. Its not like he is skinny in the video.
IME I have found when confined to a small space in a larger tank it can really annoy them right off.
What I am wondering is if you set up a small tub say 5g-10g like a rubber maid container and add some plants with a seeded air filter if you have one and let him be in that you may find he will perk right up fast.

Boundava
08-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Rocksor and mac, he is in a little container in the big tank and the WC twice a day is what I have been doing for him. Mac, I agree he isn't skinny-but he was so lethargic when I got him that I didn't want to put him in the 20L because I didn't think he would make it in such a big body of water.

I don't know if you guys remember my last rescue betta-Lucky Star, I rehabbed her the same way and she picked up in a day and was very active in two. Stark has been a bit slower to get his balance, has been resting on the bottom, leaning sideways or really scaring me by being vertical. He is actually swimming now so if he keeps improving (i.e. eats something more enthusiastically) I will move him to the 20L.

Rocksor-I do not have methylene blue, I was dosing with ParaGuard for the first 2 days but it seemed to make him worse rather than better so I stopped. I was going to give him an Epsom bath when he was going vertical and didn't seem to be able to control himself, but then he improved so I didn't want to stress him with it.

Rocksor
08-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Rocksor and mac, he is in a little container in the big tank and the WC twice a day is what I have been doing for him. Mac, I agree he isn't skinny-but he was so lethargic when I got him that I didn't want to put him in the 20L because I didn't think he would make it in such a big body of water.

I don't know if you guys remember my last rescue betta-Lucky Star, I rehabbed her the same way and she picked up in a day and was very active in two. Stark has been a bit slower to get his balance, has been resting on the bottom, leaning sideways or really scaring me by being vertical. He is actually swimming now so if he keeps improving (i.e. eats something more enthusiastically) I will move him to the 20L.

Rocksor-I do not have methylene blue, I was dosing with ParaGuard for the first 2 days but it seemed to make him worse rather than better so I stopped. I was going to give him an Epsom bath when he was going vertical and didn't seem to be able to control himself, but then he improved so I didn't want to stress him with it.

I would add dissolved Epsom salt in the container. I would mix a batch of 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with 5 gallons of water (or equivalent ratio), and keep him in it for 5 days. If he has internal swelling, this will help to reduce it. You can use this batch as part of your water refill.

Methylene blue helps with recovery since it will bring more oxygen into the fish, and it will also protect against ammonia poisoning (it will destroy the cycle). Something to think about as part of your fish medicine cabinet.

Boundava
08-09-2017, 02:36 PM
I would add dissolved Epsom salt in the container. I would mix a batch of 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with 5 gallons of water (or equivalent ratio), and keep him in it for 5 days. If he has internal swelling, this will help to reduce it. You can use this batch as part of your water refill.

Methylene blue helps with recovery since it will bring more oxygen into the fish, and it will also protect against ammonia poisoning (it will destroy the cycle). Something to think about as part of your fish medicine cabinet.

I will see about the epsom salt, thanks.

Boundava
08-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Well on my way home Sis let me know that he eagerly ate 4 pellets and, well...I will see when I got home. Tony has changed a bit,

https://youtu.be/oMVwN-EAgEg

As a reminder, here he was on the 6th:

https://youtu.be/Xi29Jt5aLrQ

I say it in the video-but for those who listen on mute, can you spot the difference?

Slaphppy7
08-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Looking much better, good deal.

Boundava
08-10-2017, 03:51 PM
He lost his color...can fish have jaundice? Maybe he was dyed?

Slaphppy7
08-10-2017, 03:57 PM
He was a wimp = yellow bellied

Now he's a tough guy = no yellow belly

Boundava
08-10-2017, 04:17 PM
lol, thanks!

Slaphppy7
08-10-2017, 04:29 PM
As long as he's acting fine and eating, I wouldn't fret over it...he's still neat looking.

Boundava
08-10-2017, 04:33 PM
yeah, he is finally acting like a betta-and he does not like the jovial and active endlers at all, lol :neener:

Slaphppy7
08-10-2017, 04:36 PM
He's going to have his own tank?...when are you going to move him?

Rocksor
08-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Is this a Texas thing? Or a Charger thing?

Slaphppy7
08-10-2017, 04:49 PM
LOL, how about a little of both?

Thanks for just saying "Charger", BTW....

Boundava
08-10-2017, 05:46 PM
He is going to move to the 20L with the chilis-after a brief test run. I am down to 4 chilis so :shrug: it is going to interesting to see what he does-if anything. I want to keep him in his QT for a few more days to make sure he's 100% OK and not faking me out.

Rocksor
08-10-2017, 06:04 PM
He is going to move to the 20L with the chilis-after a brief test run. I am down to 4 chilis so :shrug: it is going to interesting to see what he does-if anything. I want to keep him in his QT for a few more days to make sure he's 100% OK and not faking me out.

Personally, I would wait at least a couple of weeks of him eating consistently.

Taurus
08-10-2017, 06:32 PM

Amazing logic there Matt, it explains everything :scratchheadblue:

Boundava
08-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Personally, I would wait at least a couple of weeks of him eating consistently.

^^^Well there you go Matt-that is what I will do! Maybe by that time I will be closer to finding a house :banghead: :shootself: so I can get a 10 gallon set up for him.

:thumbup: thanks Rocksor.

Slaphppy7
08-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Amazing logic there Matt, it explains everything :scratchheadblue:

I didn't go to college for 5 1/2 years for nuttin'!!

Boundava
08-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Well here's Stark;

https://youtu.be/vkfa-W0tylc

He is so active I honestly think its cruel to keep him in the 75 like this. So today he's going in the 20L.

Slaphppy7
08-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Get him moved, pronto...before he breaks out and kills all the fish in the tank, lol

AmazonJoe
08-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Well what a recovery story nice job Nat !

Boundava
08-14-2017, 01:50 PM
Get him moved, pronto...before he breaks out and kills all the fish in the tank, lol

Lol, that's what I was thinking too-look at the stress he is giving himself wanting to destroy-maim-kill-hurt the other fish in the tank. What an angry little guy.

Well what a recovery story nice job Nat !
Thanks Joe! Don't have anymore room to bring home sick bettas and rehome them-so no more going through the fish aisle while at petco :scry: Poor babies.

So he has made it to his new home:

https://youtu.be/BNSnQ9u3YOQ

Slaphppy7
08-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Glad he's enjoying his new home...what were you showing in the beginning, limpets?...I can't listen at work

Boundava
08-14-2017, 02:33 PM
My chilis in the 5.5 with the dwindling shrimp population-think I have 4 shrimp left and was supposed to have 4 chilis but could only find 3 in the video yesterday.