PDA

View Full Version : Filter outflow

uihawk9868
07-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Hello all, I have a cycled 5 gallon FW tank with only one male Betta in it. The tank is a Fluval Spec V. In case any readers of this don't know, it has a pretty strong outflow, enough to send a betta somersaulting on even the lowest setting. So, after researching this issue on You Tube, I have the setting on low. I have even put a prefilter sponge over the filter outflow nozzle. My question is if the prefilter is an ok idea or is is going to impede the flow and cause bigger problems, etc. Also curious if I should increase the filter outflow setting to medium since the prefilter sponge is on. Thank you.

Rocksor
07-14-2017, 09:43 PM
can't you put the prefilter on the intake?

uihawk9868
07-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Not really. The way the tank is designed is kind of an all-in one. There are only slits in the rectangular box (the filter) and the pump draws that water in and then out a vertical tube with the outflow at the top of the aquarium. I had to watch a video on You Tube to understand it.

Slaphppy7
07-14-2017, 11:23 PM
Get a glass lid and an AC20

SueD
07-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Get a glass lid and an AC20

Not with this tank - the Spec V.

OP, have you seen this article. I have read posts elsewhere where folks have added holes to the outflow tube which slowed the flow.
http://spec-tanks.com/fluval-spec-aquarium-betta-friendly/