PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have Your Bettas Lived?

Akeath
07-06-2017, 05:34 PM
It feels like my Bettas never really live long. I keep exact records with dates for all my tanks, and none of the Bettas live more than 2 years. I take good care of them, too - 5-10 gallon tanks, gentle filter, live plants, Ammonia and Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm, 78-82 degree water temperature, a varied diet of multiple high quality Betta-specific flakes/pellets and frozen foods, just the Betta in the tanks and perhaps a snail, and I buy the Bettas at different places. I can also keep much more fragile fish alive with no problem, and have been keeping aquariums for many years.

How long have your Bettas lived? Do you keep records for your aquariums with exact dates, or is the age an estimate? I've heard a lot of caresheets say their lifespan is 2-3 years, but then I hear some people on forums saying theirs have lived much longer than that. I'm trying to figure out if I'm messing up over and over or if 2 years is within a normal range to have them. I'm starting to think that maybe I just shouldn't ever get another Betta, if mine don't live as long as they should.

Brhino
07-06-2017, 05:39 PM
My experience was very similar to yours. At one time had a 10 gallon tank and a 5.5 gallon tank each housing a single betta. Good temperature, good food, 50% weekly water changes whether they were needed or not. Probably went through 4 or 5 bettas all together. I don't have exact dates but 2 years sound about right. They all followed the same pattern - 6 months to a year of being active and energetic, followed by 6 months to a year of laying around almost all the time, followed by death. Stopped keeping bettas because it was rather depressing.

Boundava
07-06-2017, 05:51 PM
10 years ago I had a group of 8 male bettas and they lived 4-7 years. Today the majority of bettas come from poor stock and have very low life expectancy. In the past 5 years I have gotten back into keeping bettas and I haven't had one live past 3 years, and the majority of them have developed either spinal curvatures or tumors (one had multiple tumors) and they die at a year/year and half. So IMO you aren't doing anything wrong, its just where the stock has gone in the last decade. It makes it hard to want to keep a betta when you have to watch the poor thing suffer so much.

BluewaterBoof
07-06-2017, 05:59 PM
My first fish (actually, my son's), was a betta and he passed away about a month ago. We had him for about two and a half years. We have no idea how old he was when we got him, but he was already full-grown when we first took him home. I'd like to think he had a perfect home, but I'm sure there are a couple of things I could have done better over the years.

RIP my little buddy.

https://youtu.be/rNtD1Yd7TzQ

Akeath
07-06-2017, 06:08 PM
That's a beautifully aquascaped tank, BluewaterBoof. He looks like a lucky Betta. Bettas are so beautiful and personable that it is especially hard when they pass away.

Slaphppy7
07-06-2017, 06:09 PM
I've had 2, they didn't even live 2 years...Boundava is correct, they are mishandled from the time they are caught until the time they are bought, as well

Boundava
07-06-2017, 06:26 PM
They are now like the puppy mills of the fish world, very few breeders car to avoid inbreeding or cross breeding of closely related kin. This results in all of the health problems prevalent in today's stock. My sister even paid for one from China and she didn't live past 2 years either.

Brhino
07-06-2017, 06:29 PM
You see those ultra fancy bettas being sold on aquabid or whatever that come directly from Thailand... they're expensive and so is the international shipping but they're beautiful and it's clear their breeding has been attended to with great care. I wonder if those do any better than our petsmart bettas we get here.

EDIT: sounds like Boundava has had some experience with this already.

BluewaterBoof
07-06-2017, 06:52 PM
That's a beautifully aquascaped tank, BluewaterBoof. He looks like a lucky Betta. Bettas are so beautiful and personable that it is especially hard when they pass away.

Thank you.

Here was another tank that we gave to a lucky betta. Tank had to be stripped down after losing long (1-2 year) battle against some nasty clado algae, though.