PDA

View Full Version : Summer Woes

NoelFae
06-12-2017, 01:13 PM
So with summer knocking at Canada's face my fish tank is heating up. Any tips to keeping Ares cool? [emoji226] ❄️

Slaphppy7
06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
How warm does it get in your house?...Ares is a betta, right?

Do people in Canada even have air conditioning?............:14:

NoelFae
06-12-2017, 01:47 PM
How warm does it get in your house?...Ares is a betta, right?

Do people in Canada even have air conditioning?............:14:

Yes Ares is my betta. His tank is at 86 but summer has just started lol

We do have an AC, but it's likely going into the living room and the bedroom door gets shut during the day because puppies are destroyers of everything

Slaphppy7
06-12-2017, 01:51 PM
I would try to have him in the room with the AC

Stlouisfish
06-12-2017, 05:08 PM
I've also heard of people floating a bag of ice cubes on top until water temperature comes down to a safe reading : )

angelcraze2
06-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Yikes! 86f. My tanks never got that warm. Hmm. Ice is the only thing I can think of! Or move your tank to the living area?

Yes Matt! Lol! We have air conditioning in Canada. The temp is very hot and humid in the summer months although it's only this bad for about 2 months and a few days at a time usually. There is a heat advisory for the last few days right now, it's actually dangerous for the elderly and asthmatic ppl to be outside for very long.

Slaphppy7
06-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Learn something new every day, lol

I WISH it were only hot and humid in Texas for 2 months...living near the coast makes the humidity even worse

angelcraze2
06-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Oh, see? I wasn't aware it was humid in Texas. The humidity is a killer! I'd personally have a hard time in the heat all the time. Although the winters here can be pretty extreme as well.

Slaphppy7
06-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah, very humid here, most of the year.

Raining here today, 84.2F and 82% humidity

I couldn't handle a Canadian winter, lol

RiversGirl
06-12-2017, 06:27 PM
So with summer knocking at Canada's face my fish tank is heating up. Any tips to keeping Ares cool? [emoji226] ❄️

You can employ small water changes to help lower your tank's temperature. I can't recall what size of tank you are keeping your betta in, but for a 10 gallon tank, swapping out one gallon for cool water might be just what you are looking for. I actually melt ice in a bucket, then Prime dose just for the bucket amount and use that to lower temps.

A good thing to for you to know is the cold tap water temp., then also whether or not your cold water gradually warms up after a bit of time (mine does).

RiversGirl
06-12-2017, 06:45 PM
We have air conditioning in Canada. The temp is very hot and humid in the summer months although it's only this bad for about 2 months and a few days at a time usually.

Learning something new, too. :22: I've never been to your beautiful country, but would love to see parts of it someday.

Regarding humidity, I sure do agree -- that's what is hard to take for me, too. I could not live over in Matt's area either. I'd melt! We have days like that, but it isn't daily for long stretches over here like it is over there. We do get really hot here though, and for very long stretches at a time. It is something that I think you just acclimate to (like everywhere, perhaps).

angelcraze2
06-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Exactly! Like the cold winters here. Actually, with the extremity of the seasons, from extreme heat to extreme cold, and since it's not for long stretches, I think I have a harder time acclimating to.

NoelFae
06-12-2017, 08:04 PM
You can employ small water changes to help lower your tank's temperature. I can't recall what size of tank you are keeping your betta in, but for a 10 gallon tank, swapping out one gallon for cool water might be just what you are looking for. I actually melt ice in a bucket, then Prime dose just for the bucket amount and use that to lower temps.

A good thing to for you to know is the cold tap water temp., then also whether or not your cold water gradually warms up after a bit of time (mine does).

Our tap water cools down if we run it longer but I'll probably just move him to the living room

RiversGirl
06-12-2017, 08:45 PM
That's a great plan. You will be able to enjoy watching him more, too!

NoelFae
06-13-2017, 04:25 AM
Put my ac in and moved Ares into the living room... bedroom is much more depressing now lmao