PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Troubles

NoelFae
05-29-2017, 01:22 PM
I had a good system worked out for feeding my betta - 2 pellets, twice every other day.

So Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday for example he would get 4 pellets each of those days.

Dexter (my puppy) decided the betta pellets I had needed to be on the floor instead of in the container.

Boyfriend insisted on going to PetValu instead of Big Als so I got a new brand of pellets that's significantly smaller, and now I'm unsure if 4 pellets on feeding days will cut it?

A scavenged old pellet vs a new pellet
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170529/ff13eba4c4e08a8fd9e685cbb5e60d1e.jpg

I'm wondering if 8 pellets on feeding days would make up for it? Or is that too little or too many?

Slaphppy7
05-29-2017, 03:16 PM
The right amount to feed is what the betta can eat in about two minutes or so.

You should give him a variety as well, mix in some flakes and frozen foods

OnTheFly
05-29-2017, 03:25 PM
I feed about 8 of those small pellets every other day. Some flake or frozen on the other days. He is active and isn't getting fat at all.

Rocksor
05-29-2017, 05:13 PM
two minutes is way too long for feeding a betta. They are not grazers like plecos. The smaller pellets are better because the fish can easily swallow the food without crushing it, leaving bits of the food in the water column to rot. The mouth of the fish is no indicative of the size of the fishes throat. I can stuff half a hotdog with half a bun into my mouth, but there is no way that I can swallow it whole.

Feeding 4 pellets is fine in one sitting. You can feed the fish again several hours later, the same amount, up to 2 times a day.