PDA

View Full Version : Can ghost shrimps change color based on diet?

crazydragonlady
05-17-2017, 06:18 AM
I noticed over time my shrimps are turning orange. They are still completely see through but they have an orange tint to their carapace. I have been checking ammonia and nitrites weekly and have seen no spikes. The only thing I can figure is because 2-3 times a week I hand feed them blood worms. I can tell which 3 are my original and which ones are their offspring by how orange they are. The original 3 (2 females, 1 male) are almost completely orange but I have had them almost 5 months.
This is a picture of my oldest male. He was almost completely clear when I got him.

angelcraze2
05-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Interesting, I'm anxious to hear what others say.
What is that red thing hanging down from his head? A blood worm? I noticed his antennas are red at the base as well, hmm

Slaphppy7
05-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Diet does indeed play a part in coloration of shrimp, however I do not know if the blood worms specifically are affecting the color of your shrimp.

Boundava
05-17-2017, 12:54 PM
So long as its only his shell then it will be fine. If his "flesh" was cloudy or white then there would be a problem, but since its just his shell it would be from the food.

OnTheFly
05-17-2017, 02:26 PM
I don't know diddly about shrimp but most all organism's color is affected somewhat by diet and the presence, or lack of certain trace elements in the water.

crazydragonlady
05-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Interesting, I'm anxious to hear what others say.
What is that red thing hanging down from his head? A blood worm? I noticed his antennas are red at the base as well, hmm

That would be a blood worm. The reason I began feeding them was because I felt bad that they only got to eat left overs. They are now at the point they will swim to the top to get their meal.

angelcraze2
05-17-2017, 09:31 PM
That's a big bloodworm lol

Monster Mosquitoes!

Slaphppy7
05-17-2017, 11:21 PM
That's a big bloodworm lol

Monster Mosquitoes!

I don't understand the correlation (?)

Boundava
05-18-2017, 01:15 AM
I guess the correct comment would be Monster Midge Flies!

https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bloodworm