PDA

View Full Version : Ludwiga roots everywhere

richberstler
12-02-2007, 06:07 AM
I finally have my 20 long set up and ready for my plants I had bought a week or so back. They've been patiently keeping my CRS company.

My Ludwiga stems have roots coming from everywhere on most of the stems. Sometimes 4-6 inches of stem with wandering roots.

What I have done is plant every part with roots shooting from it into my substrate. All the leaves are still above. Is this proper or should I only be planting the very bottom of it. I don't want to kill it by having too much underground. Specifically I don't want them to start rotting and starting off my new setup on the wrong foot.

My thought was if I have 6 inches of root buried it may sprout new branches fairly quickly, kinda liks a long bulb.

Any thoughts? I know several of you have suggested Ludwiga in the past so I expect there are some people who have dealt with this before.

Thanks!!

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes, they do that. I generally pinch off everything under the highest root and plant that way but not sure if I do it right or not. These plants like lots of light.

tropfish
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
my ludwigia does that too, along with my moneymort, it's totally normal.

smaug
12-03-2007, 01:26 AM
thats normal.My hygro corm do the same thing I think that is a common thing with alot of stem plants.as far as depth of planting mine are in the gravel an inch or so.all those little side roots eventually find there way into the gravel or just float free absorbing nutrients .Even my cabomba have the side roots.

shockshockshad
01-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Old post, but I just came here and my ludwigia and foxtail are doing the same thing. So just leave them and they will eventually go away?

smaug
01-25-2008, 07:48 PM
No they wont go away.They are desirable to have for the plant.Its just another way for them to draw nutrients.It is normal for all stem plants.

Incredulous_Ed
01-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, good answer smaug. I think they do that because in the wild or something like that the stems fall apart and the roots settle in so they can grow faster or something. Something like that.

smaug
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
why thank you ed.

shockshockshad
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Okay. It doesn't look bad or anything, i was just asking. Thanks.