PDA

View Full Version : Why does my new betta lay like this

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 05:09 PM
He dosent move much but acts healthy when he move he will swim around easily but he then gets tired and lays like that under the filter and hasn't eaten yet he is the newest part of the fluvel edge with 8 tetras 3 guppy and 1 betta the parmeters are good. He is new had him for just over 24 hours.

Parameters

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.4
Nitrates <10

Also when I got him home and put him in the tank I tested his pet store water for ammonia, I will leave a picture.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170430/814b4be0bcf64cbf407a4036e3fdac9c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170430/3f739c2acea7ac63aa329f2775cdf919.jpg

Slaphppy7
04-30-2017, 05:19 PM
The water he was in at the LFS has poisoned him with ammonia (and probably trItes/trAtes) to the point that he may not make it, I am sorry to say....he has been living in his own toilet

Please tell me you didn't get that water in your tank.

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 05:32 PM
The water he was in at the LFS has poisoned him with ammonia (and probably trItes/trAtes) to the point that he may not make it, I am sorry to say....he has been living in his own toilet

Please tell me you didn't get that water in your tank.
No way there weren't a drop of water from that poison from that tank sadly my lfs is petco it is the only pet store within 3 hours

Is there anything I can do to help him

Slaphppy7
04-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Fresh clean water is the only thing I can think of...make sure there's plenty of surface agitation, run a bubbler if you have one.

He looks emaciated...if you can get him to eat it would be a good thing, but don't overfeed the tank

Avoid Petco fish, order fish online if you have to

Was he in one of those ridiculous "cups"?

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Fresh clean water is the only thing I can think of...make sure there's plenty of surface agitation, run a bubbler if you have one.

He looks emaciated...if you can get him to eat it would be a good thing, but don't overfeed the tank

Avoid Petco fish, order fish online if you have to
Ok I have a bubbler and I have lots of frozen like blood worms, spirulina brine shrimp, emerald entree, freshwater frenzy and rods food (for my reef tank) that I feed the other fish. But the pellets for him I have are new life spectrum and omega one

He was in those stupid cups he was super hyper in there but not thinking of it then it was getting weird from Ammonia

Slaphppy7
04-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Try some blood worms when you feed...fingers crossed he will be OK, but I must say it doesn't look good.

When was your last WC?...how big is the tank?

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Try some blood worms when you feed...fingers crossed he will be OK, but I must say it doesn't look good.

When was your last WC?...how big is the tank?
6 gallon i do daily 40% water changes

Slaphppy7
04-30-2017, 06:15 PM
What kind of tetras are in there?

Why daily WC's?

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Neon tetras and I like to keep nitrates a minimum I could do less but I have time and why not they are easy for a 6 gallon and trust me i don't feed light

Slaphppy7
04-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Overfeeding can cause a multitude of issues, careful with that.

Daily WC's don't hurt anything, done properly...do you use Prime?

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 06:56 PM
No I use tetra aquasafe, but I have a 20 gallon brute trashcan full of heated agitated water 24/7 that I put the aqua safe into and then I just pump it in my tank. This idea came from saltwater.

mermaidwannabe
04-30-2017, 06:57 PM
I assume you always dechlorinate new water ... Prime can't be beat. Best on the market, in my opinion.

I would have taken that tube of green ammonia test right over to the PetCo that fish came from and shown it to them, along with the color chart and the test booklet, turned to the section on ammonia testing. They are obviously uneducated, or they would never be keeping fish in tiny cups like that. Maybe they think it saves space, but healthy fish are more important than spacial economy.

You could also send that photograph to their corporate headquarters. It's self-explanatory. I would send both photographs, so the bigwigs could see how their practices affect their merchandise. And unless they change their ways, I wouldn't purchase anymore fish from PetCo.

Slaphppy7
04-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Nice post above, agreed.

RiversGirl
04-30-2017, 07:10 PM
That amm test was a shocking thing to see. I do hope you can save this poor fish.

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 07:13 PM
I assume you always dechlorinate new water ... Prime can't be beat. Best on the market, in my opinion.

I would have taken that tube of green ammonia test right over to the PetCo that fish came from and shown it to them, along with the color chart and the test booklet, turned to the section on ammonia testing. They are obviously uneducated, or they would never be keeping fish in tiny cups like that. Maybe they think it saves space, but healthy fish are more important than spacial economy.

You could also send that photograph to their corporate headquarters. It's self-explanatory. I would send both photographs, so the bigwigs could see how their practices affect their merchandise. And unless they change their ways, I wouldn't purchase anymore fish from PetCo.
I agree I always buy saltwater fish at my lfs
But sadly they only have saltwater stuff hard to belive that i have 2 saltwater lfs and no freshwater lfs.

madagascariensis
04-30-2017, 08:05 PM
That pale translucent skin and posture indicates a very sick fish. Since you say you've had the fish for less than 24 hours I think it might be suffering from acclimation stress. I'd keep it dark (and in clean, oxygenated water obviously) and leave it alone mostly, if it eats then feed it but don't bother it with food. There's nothing much you can do at this point.

Southpaw007
04-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Thank you eveybody i will pray that he makes it

Southpaw007
05-01-2017, 12:22 AM
New sad news he just died.

Boundava
05-01-2017, 12:39 AM
So sorry for your loss, from what I read it seems you did the best you could for him.

Slaphppy7
05-01-2017, 02:34 AM
New sad news he just died.

Poor fish never had a chance to begin with, IMO

Let it be a learning lesson to avoid the "box" or chain stores when buying fish

OnTheFly
05-01-2017, 03:09 AM

Unfortunately they probably wouldn't care. Customer buys a betta and $40 worth of accessories. Half the fish they paid a buck for probably die and they replace it free if it doesn't live two weeks. It would seem Petco could swap the water out in all the containers in 10 minutes if they got a system down. Twice a week would be inadequate in such a small container but still a huge improvement. I really wonder if they will sell fish in a few years because they are really screwing this up at a high level.

RiversGirl
05-01-2017, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry that you lost him.

Poor fish never had a chance to begin with, IMO

Fully agree.

Silbar
05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry that he did not survive...no fault of yours.

waylon101
05-04-2017, 01:01 AM
sorry for the loss.