PDA

View Full Version : Is my betta a girl? Lmao

NoelFae
04-23-2017, 03:25 AM
Someone on Facebook just told me they think my fish might be a girl which is giving me a crisis lmao

This is from when I first got it before all the finrot made yucky fins - Facebook girl says a short fin at the front means it's a girl ?

Just wonder lol cause now I'm curious!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170423/0c52489c8694185bb12190a1c5c1d85d.jpg

CaptainByMoonlight
04-23-2017, 06:18 AM
I can't really see the ventrals but I'd say you have a boy there.

And unless the person on fb was a betta breeder I wouldn't even hear them out. If you ask them what size tank is best for a betta they will probably say the smaller the better. Smh

Here is an image stolen from the internet showing the differences between male and female bettas.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170423/9f9d457aff315d4c2cef8dc570491b43.jpg

CaptainByMoonlight
04-23-2017, 06:21 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170423/dff0afcd129193dd909907921ab48909.jpg

More stolen resources

mac
04-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Good old face book.

Personally there as some really well meaning people on there in the fish keeping world. But personally it's something that isn't really worth the time of day.

My personal reasons are quite simple.

Face book on the whole is a community for friends family ect.

It's also for groups and variouse kinds of activies yes. But here lays the issue. The way it's set up you need to scroll scroll scroll for ages to see peoples track record. Find proof that they are able to correctly give information ect. This also allows for so many more key board warriors to slip in with bad advise.

Personally forums are a way better place to find information. Mostly because we are always getting peer review through variouse members. And also in forum you get to see the challenges to people information and answers

That, and it's really easy to research people's advice through reading their past post's and history.

For me face book has been a constant pain in nz. A reclusive bunch of people. Half which have really odd advice and the other half whom seem to be to prove them selves keep it all hidden or really secretive.

Then at the same time then the friends ect issue kicks in with some people.
Depending sometimes indivdual groups can help out a lot. Like some of the killi groups and variouse betta breeders. But still personally I find it hard to track and follow.

CaptainByMoonlight
04-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Hahaha!!! PREACH mac preach! *spoken word snaps*

mac
04-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks cap. Really though it's not preaching. Passing on observations.

OnTheFly
04-23-2017, 09:23 AM
I am on a local Facebook group. Only way I have been able to find out who else raises fish around here. Wish I could come hangout in your garage and enjoy some fish socialization Mac. FB is the only way I would have known there is an Aquarist Show and Swap today only 10 miles from my house. There are definitely a few pretentious jerks on the FB forum. And folks trying to sell used gear for 90% of new price. If anyone needs a fully ready to go 120G I know a gal who will sell you hers for only $2500 :ssuprised:

mac
04-23-2017, 10:26 AM
In a way for me is that face book is more of a right arm to my fellow kiwis to the point that's all they do in all their free time. Which is look at it, and live and breath face book.
But that mixed with a very reserved personality, and trying to find out information, can make talking to a brick wall way more interesting, than trying to get information out of them.

For example i have posted up on a face book group for reef keepers in nz asking about lighting prices and options. Thus far two replies. And both have no answers pertaining to the question at all. Actually highly irrevelant to what I asked.

On average the 60% of things I have learnt or found out is through forums.
30% on you tube. And 10% is the locations of a few decent shops, from face book.

Tell you I wished I could get some one to enjoy a fish room and hang out talk and catch up. It's very lonely in nz with this hobby

OnTheFly
04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Overall Facebook is an annoying waste of time. I keep in touch with a few long distance relatives and fellow hobbyists. I can live without the rest of the drama, political fighting etc. I spend little time there.

I 1000% agree a good forum is by far the best. I have traveled the country and met friends I had known on forums for years. Forums have died in most of my hobbies. FB, Twitter etc have taken over unfortunately. Youtube is valuable because you can easily skip the bickering.

NoelFae
04-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Yaay thanks everyone !

AmazonJoe
04-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Looks like a male to me :)

I have stuff like the wet spot and monsterfishkeepers on face book I tried a "local group" but it wasn't very active.

Slaphppy7
04-23-2017, 02:59 PM
All I need is the AC, my wife calls it my "Fishbook"

Never had a FB account, and never will.

OnTheFly
04-23-2017, 03:27 PM
You guys and gals have built a nice forum. I really like it here. Now if I didn't like you and Amazon Joe it would be a problem because the place could use another dozen active posters. On the opposite extreme too large of a forum isn't usually so friendly. I've been on a few huge hobbyist forums that were awesome but it takes some committed mods to set the tone when there are 50 new threads a day.

I really enjoyed FB for several years, and then the politics came with a vengeance. No longer pleasant to go there. I think everyone has a few obnoxious relatives when they get behind a keyboard lol.

mac
04-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Relatives?? That is funny as can be to me. I have a lot of family and only one cousine is on my friends list. Pretty much all the people on my friends list are not related to me in any way what so ever. That way if things get merry then it's not a family fight.
That and the fact is all my friends have my home phone number. If they want to talk then ring me. None of the this poking, and messenger games.

NoelFae
04-25-2017, 01:11 AM
I like my Facebook for random things - I usually don't do anything seriously on there except argue betta rights on petsmart posts about betta bowls lol [emoji23]

I'm not in many communities- this girl just happened to add me over the betta bowl incident and then messaged me [emoji13]

Also my betta has begun nibbling on my fingers which I just want to mention cause it's cute. I went to push his thermometer back against the glass and he nibbled [emoji23]