PDA

View Full Version : Does my betta have epilepsy??

EmNikole
03-06-2017, 05:57 AM
Okay so I've had my betta Dog since mid-August and lately he's been acting kind of weird. He'll sit in the front right corner of his tank (it's an open spot, there's just gravel there), and just start freaking out. It's hard to describe and of course he won't do it when I try to record him, but he'll flail around on his side, sometimes hitting the wall, then do a flip and swim away like nothing happened. I don't think there's anything wrong with his swim bladder as he swims fine otherwise, but sometimes he just freaks out. He's in a tank with 2 mystery snails and a nerite (I'm slowly sizing up but my dorm is only so large), and he seems to get along with them just fine, so I don't think that's a concern. I'll try to get a video of him acting like a spaz if I can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :ssmile:

Slaphppy7
03-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the AC, a few questions for you:

What size tank is this?

Did you cycle the tank before adding him?

What are your ph, ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte readings?

How often do you perform water changes?

madagascariensis
03-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Slaphppy7 raises some valid concerns. Just quickly though, it sounds like your betta could be seeing its reflection in the glass of the tank and, territorial as bettas are, trying to fight it. You could try changing the location/ambient lighting around the tank and see if that makes a difference.

EmNikole
03-06-2017, 10:05 PM
He's in a 2.5 which I know is small but I can't size him up for a while, and this is a new development. I'm trying to get to my LFS to get testing supplies but I'm a broke college student trying to provide for her aquatic babies. I considered he may be seeing his reflection, but when I held a mirror up to him to test the theory he didn't care at all. I literally could not get him to flare, move around, anything. He's always been a little quirky, but nothing about his setup has changed since he started doing this. He can't see his brother Ravioli across the desk, his tank setup is the same as always, the snails haven't been picking on him. Actually neither fish will flare no matter what I do. I'll try and post some pictures of them and their tanks for reference.

EmNikole
03-06-2017, 10:15 PM

EmNikole
03-06-2017, 10:16 PM

This is Dog, the crowntail is Ravioli. On a sidenote, does anyone know what type of betta he may be? I don't know enough to say for sure.

CaptainByMoonlight
03-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Hrmm... I think dog is some sort of delta tail, could also be a half moon... sorry it's a bit hard to tell without a photo of them fully flairing. I'm sorry to hear about your betta's strange activity... maybe try clearing the space he is in (from the photo I saw some API bottles and such) maybe he is seeing them as something threatening? Strange but it may help, my betta hated the color black, even the temperature probe would make him flair up like no tomorrow. On that note tho slap does have a very good question how often do you do water changes? And how much do you change each time?

Slaphppy7
03-13-2017, 07:41 PM
They both appear stressed to me, most likely the result of ammonia poisoning from being kept in uncycled tanks, I'm afraid.

CaptainByMoonlight
03-14-2017, 02:43 AM
They both appear stressed to me, most likely the result of ammonia poisoning from being kept in uncycled tanks, I'm afraid.

Ahh that could definitely be part of it. Upon looking back, I didn't see any filtration or heating on the tanks, bettas are cold blooded and their metabolism functions it's best at temperatures around 75-80 Fahrenheit. And while bettas often get blown around in a strong current I'd recommend a sponge filter, or biweekly water changes... (on a side note sponge filters won't run you too too much wallet wise)

Good luck with everything!