PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any info on breeding plecos (H punctatus)?

William
02-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Do anyone have any info on pond breeding the common pleco. What it takes etc.

AmazonJoe
02-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Very easy just make sure you have driftwood in there as well some large pieces of PVC

William
02-09-2017, 09:07 PM
LOL. I deleted a line from the original post where i was directing the question directly to you. I had a feeling you would know.

How large do they need to be before spawning. How large does the pond need to be.

Slaphppy7
02-09-2017, 09:10 PM
You're not going to eat them, are you William?

AmazonJoe
02-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Around 7" forgot your doing concrete unfortunately there mud spawners so if your doing the concrete you'll be hard pressed to spawn them

Also size will depend on how many brood stock your going with

Idk what's the water table like over to do a dug out pond??

AmazonJoe
02-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Another thought could be filling the concrete pond with dirt to make a muddy bottom but idk if that's practical haha

William
02-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Another thought could be filling the concrete pond with dirt to make a muddy bottom but idk if that's practical haha
That was the solution i was considering. I assume one foot or so would be enough. Concrete is the only way to go here. Or maybe a large pond liner. but i would still need to but dirt in it.

Water table is just a few feet down but a dug out pond is not a possibility because the water table is brackish. 200 m to the ocean, ocean arm right by the property.

William
02-09-2017, 09:42 PM
You're not going to eat them, are you William?

no i am not going to eat them.

AmazonJoe
02-09-2017, 10:00 PM
That was the solution i was considering. I assume one foot or so would be enough. Concrete is the only way to go here. Or maybe a large pond liner. but i would still need to but dirt in it.

Water table is just a few feet down but a dug out pond is not a possibility because the water table is brackish. 200 m to the ocean, ocean arm right by the property.

Yea then you could try it out worse case scenario you'll end up switching tactics or go with something different (fish wise)

Concrete would be better then pond liner it won't rip or anything plus plecos can really dig so who knows if they might rip it also.

William
02-09-2017, 10:11 PM
True.

I am considering trying in a pond that would be about 10 ft x 10 ft by 8 ft. I assume that would be enough space or do they need a more conventional breeding pond?

AmazonJoe
02-09-2017, 10:20 PM
True.

I am considering trying in a pond that would be about 10 ft x 10 ft by 8 ft. I assume that would be enough space or do they need a more conventional breeding pond?

That sounds fine limited space just means limiting the number of fish you add you could aslo add root structures and other wood to create plenty of territory/refuge from aggression

AmazonJoe
02-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Just spoke with my coworker and he had a good info

I didn't think it would work the mud directly on bottom because they burrow there holes in the sides closer to the surface.

So he suggested maybe have large pieces of PVC you could suspended into the water a foot maybe that could recreate the holes they would use and you could lift them out to remove eggs or fry.

He also mentioned making sure to have a ton of wood for tannins

William
02-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all your help.

If i do it i am sure i will add big trunks to the water. i have a number if 5-6 ft pieces i could use. I could also add Indian almond leaves for extra tannins ( a few would fall in naturally)

Regarding the mud. How close to the surface to they like to tunnel? I could do a ledge with mud and plant it with papyrus to keep it in place.

William
02-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Do you have to remove the eggs or can you just treat it like a permanent breeding where the fry grows out with the parents. Plecos are normally not a treat to free swimming fry. (provided they are by themselves of course)

AmazonJoe
02-10-2017, 01:28 AM
Below the waters surface about a foot.

In a pond setting I think you could allow the fry to stay in with parents :)

AmazonJoe
02-10-2017, 01:50 AM
That stone work with the brick in your barb pond journal the first picture looks like it would work nicely

William
02-10-2017, 03:14 AM
Maybe but they are too small for an adult over 10 inches.

Might have to considering building a pond with a mud area on one side. I will have to think about it. barbs first.
but it would be nice to breed them since they are hard to come by here. Import rules. Only one store who regularly caries them (or any other sucker-mouth catfish).

AmazonJoe
02-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Always good to think it over for awhile.

I was wondering what the draw was towards plecos lol over here in FL our natural water ways are loaded with them and a big business is going to gather pleco eggs

William
02-10-2017, 01:49 PM
I was wondering what the draw was towards plecos lol over here in FL our natural water ways are loaded with them and a big business is going to gather pleco eggs

Well. The biggest attraction is that i LOVE large plecos and that i wanted to breed them for a while. I would love to try my hands on breeding the sailfin pleco as well if i could get it.

The fact that they are hard to come by helps me justif devoting a pond to them. LOL

RiversGirl
02-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Well. The biggest attraction is that i LOVE large plecos and that i wanted to breed them for a while. I would love to try my hands on breeding the sailfin pleco as well if i could get it.

The fact that they are hard to come by helps me justif devoting a pond to them. LOL

It would be a fascinating project to vicariously enjoy. I'm hopeful that you will decide to do one.

AmazonJoe
02-10-2017, 02:08 PM

Yes indeed a win win thumbs2:

AmazonJoe
02-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Also I still feel so honored you actually want my advice haha :P

William
02-10-2017, 02:23 PM
I will finish the barb project and then we will see. I will hit you up for your thoughts when/if i have a plan but you given enough info to get my thoughts stewing. I do have 5 plecos but they are about 4-5 inches right now so i got some time.

Will create a journal if i do

AmazonJoe
02-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Can't have to many journals!! :19: