PDA

View Full Version : been a member a very short time

Hockey nut
02-04-2017, 06:14 AM
anybody every use the aqueon minibow for a beta?

mac
02-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Personally I have not kept one of these at all. Let alone seen the brand in NZ. But 1.5-2.5g isn't really what I would call a sizeable tank for Betta's in any way.
5g is the smallest for Betta. The smaller tank would work for shrimp well though.
IME kit set's like that is not something you really want to spend the money one. They limit you in options for future ideas. Filtrations generally lacking. Lighting is generally no good if you go the way of planted tank. Also to work on the tanks they are odd and cramped. Better to get a standard glass tank and then add on to it.

SueD
02-04-2017, 04:21 PM
I haven't had this tank but they do come in a 5g version, so that one should be fine for a betta. You will need to add a heater, though. Some low light plants like java fern or anubias might also work in there.

It looks like it might take a cartridge for filter media that usually requires replacement often. That's not good for maintaining a cycle so I would see if you can toss that and use a filter sponge and biomedia instead. I think Boundava uses the larger Quiet Flow filter so maybe she can provide some insight into potential for modification.

Shidohari
02-05-2017, 04:08 AM
Now you know I have to chime in as the only fish I've had decent success with are Betta Fish. Go with what the other members above have suggested. I would also look for some simple plants if you can to put into the tank for the fish to hide behind, and not just the fake ones. Java Moss grows at a moderate pace if cared for correctly, as do crypto plants and Java Fern. If you're going with a tank less than five gallons though, and put in fake plants make sure they have nothing that could get snagged on betta fins (same is true for rock type decorations). Also silk frays easily, so be aware of that if you are looking at silk plants.

Also anything you put INTO the tank takes away from the available swimming space for the betta, which makes a small space even smaller for them.

Good luck and have fun.

Hockey nut
02-17-2017, 04:36 AM
I need your help. as some of you know I have been posting for a few days, I have learned a lot, but like I posted one time, you can obtain knowledge but then you have to use it. We got this little guy not long after I started this thread.50636 I actualy forgot about this thread. Why I never mentioned this tank, I do not know maybe when I came on AC I was thinking about Setting up the bigger tanks correctly. anyway when we got him we got a 1.7g tank with bubbler no filter. I soon realized being on here and how fast the cloudiness came it wasn't enough. so instead of asking advice on here and ordering what we really should of we went to petco and bought this, we almost went cheaper and smaller but somethings I have learned on here have stuck. I have been doing water changes every 2 days didn't start cleaning gravel till monday when I got the siphon. I would stir up gravel when I did the water changes before the siphon. before I put any more money into the 29g build I need to get this guys environment stable and where it should be. Snow flake thanks you, Jenny named him, is there a photo resizer on here?

mac
02-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Sorry no photo re sizes on here.
Most of the time most photo editing options unless you using a phone in which case tappatalk is the best app, are easy as to change the size.

Glad that the advice is helping you can. Like always the more you ask to more you learn. Thumbs up bro.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Boundava
02-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Not sure what size minibow you are looking at but I agree 5 gallons is the smallest I would go for a betta.
I normally recommend the Azoo Palm filter, but DFS is back ordered until April and I think its because they are changing the design a bit. Amazon seems to have the newer version: the Azoo Mignon 60-but it is a bit more $ than DFS.

Have you gotten the minibow already? I had some 5 gallon acrylic tank setups years ago and they would always get cracks in them, but that was many years ago (~12). If you haven't bough it already, I would go with a glass 5.5 tank instead. Check the PetsSuppliesPlus in Gurnee, they have a 5.5 for $10.99 online. Unfortunately I don't think they have the 16" lids, but DFS does for $8.99.

Our betas always love real plants. Java ferns and Anubias are a good choice-they can be attached to rocks or woods as they shouldn't be "planted" like traditional plants. The gravel you have is fine but you will have to do more cleaning of it since food tends to fall in between it more-not a big deal, just do a gravel cleaning every week or two when you do a water change.

Hockey nut
02-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Not sure what size minibow you are looking at but I agree 5 gallons is the smallest I would go for a betta.
I normally recommend the Azoo Palm filter, but DFS is back ordered until April and I think its because they are changing the design a bit. Amazon seems to have the newer version: the Azoo Mignon 60-but it is a bit more $ than DFS.

Have you gotten the minibow already? I had some 5 gallon acrylic tank setups years ago and they would always get cracks in them, but that was many years ago (~12). If you haven't bough it already, I would go with a glass 5.5 tank instead. Check the PetsSuppliesPlus in Gurnee, they have a 5.5 for $10.99 online. Unfortunately I don't think they have the 16" lids, but DFS does for $8.99.

Our betas always love real plants. Java ferns and Anubias are a good choice-they can be attached to rocks or woods as they shouldn't be "planted" like traditional plants. The gravel you have is fine but you will have to do more cleaning of it since food tends to fall in between it more-not a big deal, just do a gravel cleaning every week or two when you do a water change.
yes we have it, this is the one, the picture in the above post is it, my wife wanted it so we got it.
it's been running for awhile. my question I guess is will the upgraded filter get the BB in there it needs? we did not cycle it.

flchamp89
02-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Did you move over some media?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hockey nut
02-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Did you move over some media?

Nope at this time this is the only one. my rock & roll 29g was going to be my 1st up and running.

flchamp89
02-17-2017, 04:23 PM
I used to have one of those tanks...good for a betta. I took canopy off. Actually got filter yall talking about and put a finnex clip on it.

Boundava
02-17-2017, 04:31 PM
The filter has a cartridge right?

How long have you been running the tank, since the 4th? Your filter probably has some bacteria in it already but it is probably in the floss around the cartridge. When you get the new filter you can take the cartridge out and use and Exacto knife to cut the floss off the plastic, remove the carbon pellets and then put the still wet floss in the filter. I would then remove the carbon pellets from the plastic manually and then swish the plastic grid in your tank just to get any residual bacteria off it-can't hurt.

Hockey nut
02-17-2017, 04:37 PM
The filter has a cartilage right?

How long have you been running the tank, since the 4th? Your filter probably has some bacteria in it already but it is probably in the floss around the cartridge. When you get the new filter you can take the cartridge out and use and Exacto knife to cut the floss off the plastic, remove the carbon pellets and then put the still wet floss in the filter. I would then remove the carbon pellets from the plastic manually and then swish the plastic grid in your tank just to get any residual bacteria off it-can't hurt.
why yes, yes it does.....had to say it that way to get to have enough of a message to send:hmm3grin2orange: been running for little under 2 weeks

Hockey nut
02-17-2017, 04:44 PM
I just remembered, my son has a 55 that has been up and running for awhile, when I get the new filter could I do a water change and use his water?

Slaphppy7
02-17-2017, 04:46 PM
BB aren't in the water column in significant amounts, they're on surfaces.

Hockey nut
02-17-2017, 05:23 PM
BB aren't in the water column in significant amounts, they're on surfaces.

now that you say that, I do remember reading in old thread where you told that to someone. I should be able to remember that now. heck it might of been one of my post that you replied to, where I heard that.

Slaphppy7
02-17-2017, 05:35 PM
No problem. :ssmile:

Boundava
02-17-2017, 06:38 PM
If he could give you a small amount of media from his filter (keep it wet with a little of his tank water)you should be able to set the tank up with that. So long as you are careful with feeding, bettas aren't very dirty fish so it won't take a lot of media to get the tank's filter set up.