PDA

View Full Version : New betta: odd behaviour?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 12:50 AM
I added my first betta to my 5-gallon tank today and he seems to be obsessed with the swimming the edges like he wants out. I've had tetras before but they came in a tank I'd taken on when neighbors moved so I've never officially introduced new fish to a tank before. It's been nearly 5 hours since he was added and he's still hugging the sides. Is this normal of new fish or is he trying to tell me something is wrong?

https://youtu.be/nMj-X_2eL9c

AmazonJoe
01-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Is the tank cycled?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 01:19 AM
Is the tank cycled?

Yes, it is.

Slaphppy7
01-12-2017, 01:23 AM
Welcome to the AC.

How long has the tank been set up?
What method did you use to cycle?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 01:34 AM
Welcome to the AC.

How long has the tank been set up?
What method did you use to cycle?

The tank is not new, so a little over a year. I got it in a rush when my ten gallon crapped out. At the time I only had a few tetras in it, which I recently took back out.

Boundava
01-12-2017, 01:51 AM
This may be silly, but maybe he's staring at his reflection?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 02:04 AM
This may be silly, but maybe he's staring at his reflection?

Silly or not, I'll take it. ;) I'd much rather it be that than something making him sick or uncomfortable.

fishnerd1230
01-12-2017, 02:30 AM
Silly or not, I'll take it. ;) I'd much rather it be that than something making him sick or uncomfortable.

A way you could possible test this theory is to put some kind of paper taped to the outside of one of the sides of the tank (could be a creative cool looking background if you want) and see if that stops the alleged reflection seeking behavior. If you want, you could try to put a mirror or something reflective on the opposite side of the tank to see if he would in turn only swim along that side? Just be very watchful to make sure he doesn't injure himself trying to attack the big bad betta reflection.

Slaphppy7
01-12-2017, 02:41 AM
The tank is not new, so a little over a year. I got it in a rush when my ten gallon crapped out. At the time I only had a few tetras in it, which I recently took back out.

So you moved the filter and established media from a 10G to a 5.5G tank?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 02:56 AM
So you moved the filter and established media from a 10G to a 5.5G tank?

No, the system was fried during a power outage and I was on away visiting family when it happened. Bit of a surprise to come home to. I was only able to transfer decor and some water to the new tank. I just got what I could afford at the time.

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 02:57 AM
A way you could possible test this theory is to put some kind of paper taped to the outside of one of the sides of the tank (could be a creative cool looking background if you want) and see if that stops the alleged reflection seeking behavior.

Good idea, I'll give it a try.

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 03:39 AM
A way you could possible test this theory is to put some kind of paper taped to the outside of one of the sides of the tank (could be a creative cool looking background if you want) and see if that stops the alleged reflection seeking behavior.

I put paper around the back half and that seemed to calm him down a bit, but he hasn't stopped completely. Perhaps the lighting is bothering him, though. Hopefully adding more plants and such will help with that.

AmazonJoe
01-12-2017, 11:16 AM
So the power was out for some time what fish were in the 10g some tetra? Where they expired?

Also did the filter drain once the power is turned off?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 05:29 PM
So the power was out for some time what fish were in the 10g some tetra? Where they expired?

Also did the filter drain once the power is turned off?

Yes, just tetras and only a couple were lost. Well, the filter was dry from being shut off when we got back. It was an overhead filter attached to the lid/light.

AmazonJoe
01-12-2017, 07:40 PM
So you must of had to reestablish your bacteria colony did you use ammonia?

Or you did a fish in cycle with a few tetra?

What's the parameters in the tank currently?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 08:16 PM
So you must of had to reestablish your bacteria colony did you use ammonia?

Or you did a fish in cycle with a few tetra?

What's the parameters in the tank currently?

The tetras were previously in the tank the betta is currently in. When I added the tetra, I used Quickstart.

AmazonJoe
01-12-2017, 08:24 PM
What about the tank parameters?

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 08:52 PM
What about the tank parameters?

It was fine a couple of days ago. I ordered more test strips, just waiting for them to arrive. Should I do a water change to be safe?

Slaphppy7
01-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Test strips are not accurate, get one of these ASAP: https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

AmazonJoe
01-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Yea the test strips are not very accurate granted better then nothing but when dealing with ammonia its very important to be precise I'm leaning towards the fact your tank is not property cycled.

Yes water change is never a bad option go for a %50, change up to even 90-100% since its so smale of a tank.

Also make sure to get Prime water conditioner by Seachem it detoxifies ammonia,nirites and nitrates but still allowing them to be biological available for the denitrifying bacteria :)

Also get the liquid kit that slap mentioned that's the kit everyone uses even the professional fish farmers..

LittleFox
01-12-2017, 11:15 PM
Yea the test strips are not very accurate granted better then nothing but when dealing with ammonia its very important to be precise I'm leaning towards the fact your tank is not property cycled.

Yes water change is never a bad option go for a %50, change up to even 90-100% since its so smale of a tank.

Also make sure to get Prime water conditioner by Seachem it detoxifies ammonia,nirites and nitrates but still allowing them to be biological available for the denitrifying bacteria :)

Also get the liquid kit that slap mentioned that's the kit everyone uses even the professional fish farmers..

Okay, thank you! About how long does one kit last?

AmazonJoe
01-13-2017, 12:12 AM

I bought one in November 2015 and I have 5 tanks going right now and I won't have to replace anything yet :).

Even then the replacement bottles are not expensive.

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 06:03 PM
I bought one in November 2015 and I have 5 tanks going right now and I won't have to replace anything yet :).

Even then the replacement bottles are not expensive.

The test strips came in the mail today and everything came back fine, but the PH is a little high (~8). This is after a 90% water change, yesterday. Will it even out, or do I need to do something to take care of it? I have PH Down, but I'm worried that using it will cause more problems due to fluxuations. Thoughts?

Slaphppy7
01-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Don't mess with ph, leave it alone, a steady one is much better than one that fluctuates.

Have you ordered the liquid test kit yet?

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Don't mess with ph, leave it alone, a steady one is much better than one that fluctuates.

That's what I figured. And no, I haven't. I'll be getting it w/next paycheck.

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 06:25 PM

This might sound weird, but could the sound of the filter be irritating him? It doesn't exactly "whisper" like its name would suggest.

Slaphppy7
01-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Yes, I've experienced that with the one Whisper I started out with...I don't think it should bother him too much, though

Is the lighting you have adjustable at all?...you got a black background on the tank?

Is he still pacing the walls of the tank?

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Yes, I've experienced that with the one Whisper I started out with...I don't think it should bother him too much, though

Is the lighting you have adjustable at all?...you got a black background on the tank?

Is he still pacing the walls of the tank?

I actually stopped using the overhead light (but still have it). It really irritated the tetras when they were in it and it's not adjustable. The tank is also in my dining room, which has great lighting. Do I need to be using it??

The tank just has plain paper wrapped around the back until I can get a suitable replacement (definitely on my to-do list).

And he is still doing it. Not as hastily as the first day, but yes. He also hasn't eaten yet. I know he's new to the tank and I did read they can go periods without eating, but it still worries me.

Slaphppy7
01-14-2017, 06:44 PM
No, aquarium lighting is not needed in every instance...planted tanks yes, of course

Get a sheet of black poster board, cheap and easy to cut to fit...if he's in a high traffic area, you may even consider it on 3 sides of the tank.

Not eating is worrisome, indeed...what all have you offered?...you've probably already mentioned it

I really wish we could get your water tested with something other than strips, but I understand your situation...do you have an LFS that could test it, with a liquid kit?

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 06:49 PM
No, aquarium lighting is not needed in every instance...planted tanks yes, of course

Get a sheet of black poster board, cheap and easy to cut to fit...if he's in a high traffic area, you may even consider it on 3 sides of the tank.

Not eating is worrisome, indeed...what all have you offered?...you've probably already mentioned it

I really wish we could get your water tested with something other than strips, but I understand your situation...do you have an LFS that could test it, with a liquid kit?

I've tried pellets and flakes.

No, the closest thing we have is Petsmart.

AmazonJoe
01-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Are you doing daily water changes or ?

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Are you doing daily water changes or ?

Every other day.

mac
01-14-2017, 08:28 PM
I have been busy reading through this thread and come to the conclusion with out a true liquid test kit, to make sure the water parameters are good, thats seeing he is fairly new it the tank. That he really is exploring the territory.
What I use to find to be very good with Betta keeping, was to have a at least two sides of the tank covered in black card, which has already been covered. And lastly mine were very heavily planted. When I did Betta keeping I use t keep him in a 50g Heavy planted tank. Never really saw him pace the sides of the tank. But he did patrol endlessly, around the various routes he formed in plants logs ect.
In smaller tanks they were quite heavily planted, this seemed to relax them a fair amount.
Possibly add some more cover for him if you have any bits and pieces lying around.

mac

LittleFox
01-14-2017, 09:23 PM
I have been busy reading through this thread and come to the conclusion with out a true liquid test kit, to make sure the water parameters are good, thats seeing he is fairly new it the tank. That he really is exploring the territory.
What I use to find to be very good with Betta keeping, was to have a at least two sides of the tank covered in black card, which has already been covered. And lastly mine were very heavily planted. When I did Betta keeping I use t keep him in a 50g Heavy planted tank. Never really saw him pace the sides of the tank. But he did patrol endlessly, around the various routes he formed in plants logs ect.
In smaller tanks they were quite heavily planted, this seemed to relax them a fair amount.
Possibly add some more cover for him if you have any bits and pieces lying around.

mac

So maybe it could just be a territory thing? I was hoping it might be that there wasn't enough to keep occupied and sheltered...

I ordered more artificial plants and a hiding place before I got him. They should be here in a week or two.

LittleFox
01-17-2017, 04:04 AM
I just wanted to give everyone an update and say thank you for your help...

He's still pacing around the tank, but it's less frantic and more like exploration and routine now. And the little guy finally ate something today (yay!).

So... Thank you, everyone, for your help. :heartstiny:

Boundava
01-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Great news! Glad he has gotten more used to this new home and is comfortable enough to eat.