PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Veil Betta acting abnormal PART 2 Struggling to open mouth?

PaulaCarlos
12-12-2016, 12:51 AM
Hi - Things are not better, if anything they are worse - My veil beta is struggling to open his mouth? or to get at his food in time before it floats below or past him.

He looked to be struggling to open his mouth. He can get some bites in, but much of it falls/floats away.

I did look up Mouth Fungus, but he doesn't specifically have white spots/areas near mouth or above mouth -but for his white beard.

We are still doing all of the same things as before, 25% water changes frequently, etc etc...he is interested in eating and tries to come to surface to eat, but not always,
sometimes I have to take the forceps with food, pellets, peas etc right to his mouth while he lays on the bottom or is in hiding, he tries to eat from that as well - but often misses.

Any help/insight would be appreciated!

madagascariensis
12-12-2016, 02:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your betta.
I just searched for and looked through your old thread. It must be frustrating to see your betta suffering without knowing what exactly is wrong.

If your betta only responds halfheartedly to food, I would actually stop feeding it, at least for a few days. Sick fish usually lose their appetites and the extra food ends up polluting the water. The disturbance caused by trying to feed the betta might also be contributing to stress, as well as all the recent changes (medications, etc).

Can you remember any changes to the tank or its immediate environment within the weeks before your betta started showing symptoms? cleaned the room with chemicals? construction down the street (can change tap water parameters)? disturbed/cleaned the filter?

Additionally, have you considered sight issues? If all else seems ok but the fish appears to be lethargic, it could be its vision. Does your betta react to you/its environment when you're still and not doing anything in the tank (no vibrations or smell)? You could try holding a mirror up to the tank and see if your betta reacts to its reflection.

You also never mentioned what your water parameters were, in exact concentrations. It is absolutely vital that ammonia and nitrite do not ever read anything other than "0 ppm". With nitrate there is more leeway, but below 20 ppm (lower the better) is generally accepted to be best for fish.

Lastly, pictures always help a lot.

PaulaCarlos
12-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Hello and thank you for your reply.

We haven't made any changes in his environment, not the room he is in. We haven't changed brands of filters...Hmmm,
I dont even use chemicals on the carpet, nothing like that has changed.

He does still attempt to acknowledge me when I walk in the room, but he really can't do much but turn his head to look at me,
he occasionally struggles to swim to the surface for food but...like he wants to eat but can't. I can see he is trying so hard.
My husband logs each water test for both our tanks, they have been consistently 0.

Tonight we bought a API erythromyacin to see if that will help with mouth fungus.

Oddly enough when I first notices him struggling to eat we also thought it could be his eye sight, I have a magnifying glass and cannot see any bulging
of the eyes, nor a film.

I will post pics next...

Slaphppy7
12-12-2016, 11:52 PM
My husband logs each water test for both our tanks, they have been consistently 0.

What do you mean by this, exactly?

You need a test for ph, ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, all of which would not register "0" in a cycled tank

madagascariensis
12-13-2016, 04:48 AM
The reason I suggest a mirror is because fish are highly attuned to vibration, which you would be producing while walking towards him.

As Slaphppy7 said, these water parameters are tested separately, and nitrates typically never read zero because it is the final product that ammonia and nitrite are converted to in an aquarium's biological cycle.

As said, pictures tend to be helpful because they allow forum members to get a better idea of what's going on. As long as you aren't sure what is causing the illness, I would refrain from treating with medications. All medications are toxic to fish too - it's just that they're more toxic to the pathogen which allows aquarists to select a dosage that kills the pathogen but not the fish. So if you're not sure what you're attacking, adding extra medications may unnecessarily stress the betta. Antibiotics also have a tendency to select for resistant bacteria when used too frequently, by sparing a few cells that happen to have mutations that make them resistant to the antibiotic's effects. These cells go on to multiply and make the next infection all that harder to treat.

PaulaCarlos
12-14-2016, 11:42 PM
What do you mean by this, exactly?

You need a test for ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, all of which would not register "0" in a cycled tank

I mentioned in my first post we have a API freshwater Master Test kit. (Measures ph High range ph, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.)
Every test is logged and all the results are consistently normal. There is a coloured range chart for each test.
You asked me specifically about Amonia and nitrite, I replied they were 0.

AmazonJoe
12-14-2016, 11:51 PM
What about nitrates?

PaulaCarlos
12-15-2016, 12:06 AM
We just did another test: ph's are normal, ammonia is not quite 0, maybe 0.05 but that could be from the food not being eaten lately?
Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 3.

Last test was 2 weeks ago.

What about nitrates?

AmazonJoe
12-15-2016, 02:27 AM
PH is a scale idk what normal means ?

What filter and media are you running ?

How long has the tank been cycled?

Make sure you syphon any left over food If not consumed within few minutes.

PaulaCarlos
12-16-2016, 12:55 AM
Hello,

PH is 7.8 and PH High is 7.4, these numbers are fairly consistent..sometimes 7.6 and 7.4. or 7.8 and 7.2. This is for both our tanks since 2012.
We also put the water into buckets with air bubbles for 24-48 hours before water changes.

Aquaclear Filter and media Kit

Tank has been cycled for a 14 months?

Yes, we remove as much as we can with forceps since he recently started struggling to eat.

Thank you!

PaulaCarlos
12-20-2016, 01:24 AM
Kiko passed away this weekend. Thank you to all that tried to help us.

Slaphppy7
12-20-2016, 01:49 AM
Sorry for your loss.

PaulaCarlos
12-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Thank you.

Boundava
12-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Sorry to read Kiko passed. I was not sure what you could have done for him in addition to what you were already doing.