PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Veil Betta acting abnormal - laying on bottom of tank often

PaulaCarlos
11-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Hi there - new to this forum and need your HELP!

We have a veil betta for almost a year now, have increased his tank size twice - from 10G for 6 months to 20 G the last 6 mos, he was happy, always been fine.
Weekly 25% water changes, water levels fine - we use a API Freshwater Master Kit tester regularly; live plants, drift wood etc...nothing has changed,
eats softened pellets, frozen brine shrimp and occasional blood worms, even peas.

He is very intelligent, active, interested, responsive to us, but suddenly in the last 3 weeks, he seems less interested, lethargic and is often laying on bottom of tank,
swims briefly then to bottom of tank he goes again...

His appetite is still fine, he IS responsive to food - he is not pale, not panting, not shiny, no fin rot, no clamps fins, no spots, no raised scales, etc...but he has
diminished overall in his personality and I am running out of things to try to help.
We have tried the fasting then peas, then tried fungal/bacteria meds; now we are starting daily water changes.

Any other ideas ? Please help!!

Boundava
11-16-2016, 01:59 AM
Well; could be cold-what type of heater do you have set up? Did you upgrade the filter and if so maybe the current is too much for him? Or maybe he has grown up and his tail is too heavy for him? Happens sometimes.

Brhino
11-16-2016, 02:01 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

It sounds to me like you are taking very good care of your betta. Certainly nothing jumped out at me as a potential problem.

I do not currently keep bettas, but at one time I had two betta tanks. We went through several bettas, always following a gradual pattern: We would get the new betta, it would be active and healthy for 6-18 months, then it would start laying around as you describe. It would persist in that state for another 6-12 months, gradually becoming more and more lethargic, and then eventually die. Then we would get a new one. I went through perhaps 4-6 bettas over a few years in that way, before I gave up on keeping them because I found that cycle depressing. They're not a particularly long-lived fish, but they are supposed to last longer than that. It sounds like you are experiencing the same thing.

I think I remember reading that bettas tend to become inactive and build up fatty deposits which are bad for their health unless you can find some way to encourage them to exercise, either by giving them other fish to follow around (which, depending on the personality of the betta, could be a recipe for dead fish) or finding some way to exercise them through your own actions. I don't know if lack of exercise is the problem mine and yours experienced, or if there could be something else at work.

Boundava
11-16-2016, 02:16 AM
Oh my I have never had that issue Brhino, that's too bad for you and your bettas.

My Bettas only became inactive when sick or sleeping, I keep mine near 78-80 and they stay very active. They also get a varied diet like this betta is. Was once fortunate to have one live to 7 years, Darth Vader was a very old betta.

Problem nowadays is the betta farms are like puppy mills-so more of the bettas for sale have problems that you have to realy look for like deformed spines-or many you just can't see that will significantly shorten their lifespans. Unfortunately quality betta can me much more that the chain store prices are-though they have upped their prices to meet the demands for the in tail designs. The hardies bettas out there will be plakats as they are the closest to the wild type genetically.

Brhino
11-16-2016, 02:28 AM
Problem nowadays is the betta farms are like puppy mills-so more of the bettas for sale have problems that you have to realy look for like deformed spines-or many you just can't see that will significantly shorten their lifespans. Unfortunately quality betta can me much more that the chain store prices are-though they have upped their prices to meet the demands for the in tail designs. The hardies bettas out there will be plakats as they are the closest to the wild type genetically.

That's the other thing I would wonder about - weak stock. I never paid extra for any of mine to come from a decent source. Always petsmart, petco, or the like. That very well could have been part of the problem. Where did you get yours, Paula?

PaulaCarlos
11-16-2016, 02:46 AM
Thank you for your reply! The temp has always been between 26-27 celcius (80 F), which is good.
The filter is the same one we have always used, we also use additional filter foam in the water flow (cascade) to completely minimize the current. I never thought of the heavy tail?

PaulaCarlos
11-16-2016, 02:53 AM
Boundava/Brhino - I wondered about his life span, we have had him one year but how old was he when we purchased - no idea. Thought they lived at least til 5 (3-5) years. He isn't deformed, spine, veil etc...looks very good. We bought him at Big Al's a chain here in Ontario (Canada) but probably the best in terms of a "chain store" - it is not a pet store -that happens to have a fish section, they only deal with fresh water or salt water fish, tanks, live plants etc but who knows...and he was happy up until now. :(

Boundava
11-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your reply! The temp has always been between 26-27 celcius (80 F), which is good.
The filter is the same one we have always used, we also use additional filter foam in the water flow (cascade) to completely minimize the current. I never thought of the heavy tail?

Yes some bettas will bite their own tails to make them lighter, and allow them to swim better. He has been in the 20 for 6 months otherwise my next guess would be he was not used to so much space/activity versus his 10.

Bettas are usually about 5-8 months old when sent to stores-this gives the males time to get their fins developed enough to be sell-able.

I am sorry your guy isn't doing well and its such a mystery as to why. They have such big personalities, its always tough to watch them suffer.

AmazonJoe
11-16-2016, 05:33 PM
I've read some where and witnessed with my own betta the same behavior of "laying around" and isn't abnormal for bettas especially the variety with super long flowing fins I have a super delta butterfly betta. It seems to me it would lounge around even more in a larger tank also. Now of course if you see that there are any visible signs of disease or infections or labored breathing etc.. that's another story

PaulaCarlos
11-16-2016, 11:34 PM
I've read some where and witnessed with my own betta the same behavior of "laying around" and isn't abnormal for bettas especially the variety with super long flowing fins I have a super delta butterfly betta. It seems to me it would lounge around even more in a larger tank also. Now of course if you see that there are any visible signs of disease or infections or labored breathing etc.. that's another story

Yes we wondered about the tank size but he has been in two relatively larger tanks (than most would use and larger than he was previously at Big Al's fish store)
since we first brought him home and he was always active happy etc in both tanks ....until 3 weeks ago :( He's been in this tank for over 6 mos now.

PaulaCarlos
11-16-2016, 11:37 PM
Yes some bettas will bite their own tails to make them lighter, and allow them to swim better. He has been in the 20 for 6 months otherwise my next guess would be he was not used to so much space/activity versus his 10.

Bettas are usually about 5-8 months old when sent to stores-this gives the males time to get their fins developed enough to be sell-able.

I am sorry your guy isn't doing well and its such a mystery as to why. They have such big personalities, its always tough to watch them suffer.

Thank you - and yes, he has (had) a huge personality! We are really struggling with this. :(
I have even tried some different "toys" in his tank short term this past week to see if he was bored or lonely?

PaulaCarlos
11-24-2016, 01:01 AM
We have some slight improvement, still doing 25% water changes, adding conditioner and now are treating for Ick...
I think maybe a 10% increase in activity level - but he is still moody and often on bottom of tank, I think I also see
clamped fins now - he is clearly stressed. :(

Brhino
11-24-2016, 01:08 AM
why are you treating for ich? You haven't mentioned him showing symptoms - ich is extremely recognizable because the fish gets little white "salt grains" all over its body. If it has those, certainly treat for it, but if it doesn't, don't treat for a disease he doesn't have.

PaulaCarlos
11-25-2016, 01:56 AM
why are you treating for ich? You haven't mentioned him showing symptoms - ich is extremely recognizable because the fish gets little white "salt grains" all over its body. If it has those, certainly treat for it, but if it doesn't, don't treat for a disease he doesn't have.

Yes, correct. So we stopped treating for Ich, only did the one tx. Husband picked it up and thought to try...

We are a loss as to what this could be since it came on 3-4 weeks ago now.

He is still slightly improved ( but slight); the other good thing throughout all of this is his responsiveness to food.

Don' t know what else to try for the recent clamped fins signed he is now showing ( stress related?)