PDA

View Full Version : Stressed beta and fin rot

stephpartin
09-19-2016, 04:37 AM
Hello I have a male Betta Charlie in a very clean and healthy 6 gallon tank by himself. Filter, heater, plants, hiding places and great water parameters. I recently bought a 20 gallon and had to move my betta across the room along with taking some of his porus decor and putting it in my 20 gal to help the cycle. It has been about 5 days since the move and I believe he is so stressed that he now has fin rot. It is in the very early stages and want to know if daily water changes along with aquarium salt would be the best remedy? I seriously think he is mad at me for the move and taking some of his decor. He was trying to take his usual path around the tank and realized that he couldn't fit in the usual places and he then turned around and flared at me. Lol Thank you for any help

6 Gallon Fluval edge - 1 male betta Charlie
20 gallon high

mac
09-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Hey there,

Could you please post up what the water parameters are?

AmazonJoe
09-19-2016, 01:18 PM
What kind of filter where you using for the 6gallon and you switched to a filter rated for at least a 20gallon? Also what type/amount of media did you switch over ?

stephpartin
09-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Sure:)) Nitrates 2.0 ppm, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, PH 7.8 in the 6 gallon. And zero readings in the 20 gallon that has only been operating for 6 days.

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 03:12 PM
What type of test kit are you using?

stephpartin
09-19-2016, 03:19 PM
I have a fluval HOB power filter for the 6 gal and a tetra whisper 20 power filter HOB for the 20 gal high. I took the bio rings, pre-filter sponge for the intake tube and two porous rock ornaments from the 6 gallon and transferred to the 20 gallon to help the cycle. There is still plenty of BB in the six gallon on two more sponges, the gravel, plants and a big porous rock ornament and a marimo moss ball. I checked the 6 gallon water parameters and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2.0 ppm nitrate, ph 7.8. My betta is still eating and making bubble nests even though he has fin rot. I am expecting a wonder shell today in the mail. Are these really any good and do they help heal fin rot? Thank you so much for responding:))

stephpartin
09-19-2016, 03:21 PM
An API master test kit:)

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Wondershell is not necessary. If you left a majority of the biological media in the 6 gallon, then there is a high chance there will not be enough bacteria in your 20g since the amount of bacteria created is directly related to the ammonia source. You should move all the bio-media to the 20g for an instant cycle.

How long has the 20g been devoid of fish (ammonia source) ?

Post a picture of the fin rot.

Post a picture of the 20g setup.

You can use photobucket to upload your pictures and create an IMG link.

AmazonJoe
09-19-2016, 04:01 PM
I agree Im suspecting a lack of biomedia for the new 20g If you didn't transfer all the media at once. Water changes is your best friend right now and only thing I've used for tissue repair is Melafix. Good luck!

Boundava
09-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Yeah-no salt. Water changes will work best, healthy diet too-and if you have one, add an Indian almond leaf. Some people claim Melafix can be harmful to labyrinth fish, you may want to use 1/2 dose or get the betta-fix which is diluted Melafix for bettas.

SueD
09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Where is the betta - the 6g or the new 20g? I was interpreting the OP's first post to mean the betta and his 6g tank moved while room was made for a new 20g to be cycled. If so, he should be fine as far as water params are concerned.