PDA

View Full Version : Would Amano Shrimp or Bamboo Shrimp be safe with a Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)

Akeath
09-09-2016, 05:42 PM
I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 1 male Honey Gourami, 10 Cardinal Tetras, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 8 Gold Tetras, 7 Black Neon Tetras, and around 15 Panda Corydoras. I would absolutely love to have some shrimp in here. I used to have an aquarium full of Cherry Shrimp, and really miss having shrimp. However, in the place I live now I just don't have room for another tank, so I am wondering if I could fit some type of shrimp in there without the risk of being eaten. Honestly, I'd probably prefer the Amano Shrimp, which I think are cuter and more reminiscent of Cherry Shrimp, but I'd settle for the Bamboo Shrimp if the Amanos wouldn't work. Would either the Amano or the Bamboo Shrimp be safe with my current stocking?

Brhino
09-09-2016, 05:44 PM
I should think they would. I have both amanos and a bamboo shrimp with my collection of community fish which is pretty similar to yours, and they do fine. Is it a planted tank?

Slaphppy7
09-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Most shrimp should be fine with the fish you have...bamboos are filter feeders, need a good amount of detritus in the water column to survive...planted tanks can help with that

Akeath
09-09-2016, 06:02 PM
It doesnt' have live plants, but it is heavily decorated with fake ones. If I got the Bamboo Shrimp, I would be target feeding them food sold specifically for Atyopsis shrimp, and I would use a turkey baster to squirt that right into the current by their feeding platform to ensure they could eat well.

Slaphppy7
09-09-2016, 06:19 PM
They feed 24/7

Rocksor
09-09-2016, 06:32 PM
You can add things like catappa leaves (almond leaves) to provide the growth of micro algae and as it decays it will become detritus matter. If you add a sponge filter, any food caught in the filter will allow for detritus growth. You can also supplement by grinding up quality algae food like New Life Spectrum Algaemax, and add a little of distilled water to make a paste, and drop a few drops upstream from the bamboo shrimp and sponge filter. Any food not caught by the shrimp will go into the sponge filter.