PDA

View Full Version : Moving my Betta

EME
08-08-2016, 08:57 PM
In a few days I will be leaving for university and have decided to bring my Betta fish with me. I was looking for tips on transporting him as I will be driving for a total of about 27 hours interrupted by two stops one will just be overnight and the other will be for around 2-3 days. However once I get there I will not be living in my dorm right away but will be spending a few weeks with family. So I am just wondering what the best way to transport him is and when I stop for a few days, should I set him up in the tank or keep him in whatever I am transporting him in.
I have moved to a new home in the past with a fish. It was just a little feeder fish that I had won at a fair. We drove with him in a paint bucket for about seventeen hours and he survived the trip with no airation and just ambient temperature. Would something like that be ok for my Betta?

Slaphppy7
08-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Look into getting a battery-powered air pump.

EME
08-08-2016, 09:14 PM
I have a small filter at hand. I know that we can set up a power bar for the car ride so do you think that could work?

Slaphppy7
08-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Is it a sponge filter?...if so, that would be perfect

A HOB filter may not work, because you'll have to lower the water level for the car ride, so that the water doesn't slosh out of the tank

What size tank is he in now?

EME
08-09-2016, 02:01 AM
He is currently in the five gallon tank that I will be using in my dorm. I wanted to get him adjusted to that tank to hopefully alleviate some of the stress at the end of the trip. However I wasn't planning on transporting him in the tank as I have heard that transporting a full tank with edges may cause the sealant to break down or come apart.

Slaphppy7
08-09-2016, 02:22 AM
However I wasn't planning on transporting him in the tank as I have heard that transporting a full tank with edges may cause the sealant to break down or come apart.

Very good point. If this were a 30 minute drive, I would say empty the tank halfway, leave him in, and take it slow to your destination...a 5.5G can be transported (with special care) a short distance in certain circumstances (and vehicles) with no issue, the weight of the water is minimal, and wouldn't stress the glass

No way I'd try that in any tank larger than a 5.5, however

But since you have a long trip ahead, I'd get him a plastic tote w/lid, transfer the filter/deco over to it, and let him use that as home for the time being.

Rocksor
08-09-2016, 03:07 AM
5 gallon bucket or plastic cooler filled with 2 gallons of water and your biomedia, and it will be fine. No need for an air pump since it is a labyrinth species. The sloshing during the car ride is enough surface agitation. Bring some Prime with you. Put a couple of drops before the start of the trip, and whenever you stop, which I assume will not happen for at least a couple of hours of driving.

Boundava
08-09-2016, 03:21 AM
I agree 100% with above. Possibly fast him the day before as well; less waste.

EME
08-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Just curious how will the biomedia and the prime help? I'm assuming that you suggested to add the prime to prevent waste accumulation, is that correct?

Rocksor
08-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Cycled biomedia will consume the ammonia produced by the betta, just like it did in your filter.

Prime will temporarily make ammonia and nitrite non-toxic, up to 48 hours.