PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting a sorority

waldo
07-05-2016, 02:12 AM
I've always been interested in a female betta sorority and will have a 20 gallon long available soon. Would this be big enough and how many girls should I have? Planning on buying the smallest fish I could find at a big box store.

Boundava
07-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Females are just as ferocious as males, sometimes more vicious so unless you are getting a group of sisters-raised together, don't put other females together because 1 or all will wind up dead. Matter of fact in breeding; if a female doesn't like a male and if you don't remove one or the other fast enough-the female will kill the male.

If you can find a group of sisters in a 20 long you may be able to put 2-3 in there, but I would still watch them for any signs of aggression. I have 2 females, each in a 5.5 gallon tank sitting next to each other. I had to put up a visual shield between the two tanks as they both wanted to tear each other to shreds and the one was a brand new baby betta from Petco-not even 4 months old yet (no color almost the size of a pinkie nail).

Rocksor
07-05-2016, 03:20 AM
I read an article which recommend keeping over 6 or more females in a heavily planted tank. The one thing emphasized is adding all the females at once to prevent the new betta from getting picked on. Two would never work out in the long run, and with 3 the lowest one would always get picked on.

waldo
07-05-2016, 03:27 AM
I did some research after I posted this. Seems 6 is the recommended minimal number to keep together, with more being better. I'd like to start with 8 in case I end up with a bully or two that needs to be removed. Yes, they all need to be the same size and added at the same size. Sisters are best but thats not a option for me.

I need quite a bit more plants and want to change out the substrate so it will be awhile before I get the fish.

Rocksor
07-05-2016, 03:30 AM
aoh okay, so you will create a "jungle" first before getting the fish.

Boundava
07-05-2016, 03:30 AM
I don't think 20 gallons is big enough for 8 bettas.

waldo
07-05-2016, 03:47 AM
aoh okay, so you will create a "jungle" first before getting the fish.

Yes, it needs to be heavily planted so the girls can mostly stay out of each others sight or at least be able to run and hide easily.

I don't think 20 gallons is big enough for 8 bettas.

Thats what I thought but I found multiple sites that said 6 is good for a 10 gallon so I figured 8 would be ok for a 20. Still looking into it. I used to go to a really good, active betta forum but I can't remember the name and I haven't been able to find it again.

Rocksor
07-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Bioload wise, according to aqadvisor, 8 female bettas put a 20g long at 52% capacity.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=30&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Aquaclear+50&AquTextFilterRate=50&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&FormSubmit=Update&AquFilterString=betta&AquListBoxChooser=Betta+%5BFemale%5D+%28Betta+sple ndens%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300016%3A8%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Boundava
07-05-2016, 03:11 PM
I didn't mean with the bioload-but the fact that they aren't schooling fish and space wise I don't think its big enough. I have a female betta in a 10 gallon and would not think of putting 5 more in there with her-even if they were put in together at once so they get used to the space together. IMO I would not do that to the bettas, they have such personalities to jam a bunch in a tank for personal convenience, why not just put up multiple tanks if you want more than one?

Don't mean to offend :shrug: just my opinion after keeping bettas for many years.

mommy1
07-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Post number 5 here gives great advice on a betta sorority tank http://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/580489-starting-female-betta-sorority.html

waldo
07-06-2016, 04:36 AM
Post number 5 here gives great advice on a betta sorority tank http://www.bettafish.com/102-betta-fish-compatibility/580489-starting-female-betta-sorority.html

Thank you, that it helpful. Still not completely sold on a sorority but at least I have good info now if that is the way I go

I_smell_fish
10-10-2016, 11:32 AM
I have kept 5 female bettas very successfully in a 5 gallon tank. It is a myth that they need to be sisters. The number of females allowable depends solely on the size of the tank. If two females have any chance to coexist they will need at least 20 gallons to allow each one to own a space, although I still would never have only two females. Three will not work as the two more dominant will kill the submissive, and again, I would never have only 2 or 3 females in any size tank though. No matter the size of tank only two or three females will eventually run into each other and they will fight to the death. Four females will result in them separating into pairs and fighting. A minimum, would be 5 females for a 5 gallon tank. The tank is small enough for all 5 to always be aware of the size of their group and therefore unlikely to fight. I had a 5 gallon with 5 females, and I also had 5-6 endlers in the 5 gallon with them and everyone was happy and stress free. At one point I also had about 5 dwarf rasboras in with them. It sounds like a lot of fish in a 5 gallon tank, but if you're not familiar with endlers and dwarf rasboras, you'll be surprised at how teeny they are! When I had all these same fish in a 10 gallon tank, I added 2 female bettas, about 3 more dwarf corydoras and 3-4 more dwarf rasboras. There were also adequate plants to allow any shy female betta a place to hide for a moment if she felt threatened, but not plants so thick as to limit the usable tank space. I am VERY particular about having too many fish in a tank and these fish were very comfortable and showed absolutely no signs of stress. However, with this many fish in my 5 gallon I had to clean the tank weekly. The ten gallon tank was cleaned about once every 2 weeks. And I am obsessed with excellent water quality. I am never shy about letting people, even strangers, know when they have too many fish in their tank.

At one point I had my 5 gallon limited to the 5 female bettas and 5 dwarf rasboras and I only had to change the water once every 4 weeks and even at 4 weeks I had excellent water quality. With one male betta and 5 of one of the other 3 types of fish mentioned, I changed the water only once every 3 months with excellent water quality always maintained the whole 3 months. However, I always use a filter that is larger than what is recommended. Meaning that for a 5 gallon tank I use a filter recommended for a 10 gallon. A 10 gallon tank gets a 20 gallon filter.