PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Bettas

PaulPerger
06-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Does anyone here keep Multiple Bettas in a sectioned off tank?

I never thought I would care much for Bettas, especially since you can only keep one in a tank. But I have a small 5 Gallon tank on my desk that had previously housed a Goldfish (who now lives in a 20 Gallon and will soon be in a 45 Gallon), and an empty tank is wasted water...

I wasn't sure what I was going to put in there so I I've been keeping my open for something unique, and then I saw a Betta a few weeks ago that just caught my eye and I bought him. I must say, I absolutely love the little guy. He has a lot of personality, eats from my fingers and is freaking beautiful to look at.

I am now trying to find ways to keep multiples. I saw a display at a pet store where they had a few long shallow tanks sectioned off and had Male Bettas in each section. I immediately thought that it would be cool to do something like that where I could have multiple Bettas.

So, here are my questions...

HOW many Bettas do you have?
How do you tank them? Individual tanks, bowls, or like described above...
Photos would be awesome...

Here is my Blue Boy "Azul"... Forgive the horrible photo...

Boundava
06-07-2016, 08:37 PM
We once had 11 bettas, each in their own 2.5 gallon tank ( think it was like-or was the Aqueon mini-bow) with filter and light-yes ELEVEN at one time, in that room that is now the bird-fish-turtle room. We now have 4, Strika (girl) in a 10 gallon, Baby (girl) in 5.5 gallon, Aurora (girl) in 5.5 gallon and Mr. Razz (boy-king betta) in my 75 gallon. IME; having been there-done that, I would not put a betta in anything smaller than a 5.5. Many claim that they don't use the space but take a betta from a 1, 2, or 3 gallon tank and put them in a 5.5 or 10 gallon with the right filter and look at them utilize every inch of their new penthouse.

Azul is gorgeous, congrats on your new betta, like potato chips (and fish tanks)-you can never stop at one...

mommy1
06-07-2016, 08:42 PM
We once had 11 bettas, each in their own 2.5 gallon tank ( think it was like-or was the Aqueon mini-bow) with filter and light-yes ELEVEN at one time, in that room that is now the bird-fish-turtle room. We now have 4, Strika (girl) in a 10 gallon, Baby (girl) in 5.5 gallon, Aurora (girl) in 5.5 gallon and Mr. Razz (boy-king betta) in my 75 gallon. IME; having been there-done that, I would not put a betta in anything smaller than a 5.5. Many claim that they don't use the space but take a betta from a 1, 2, or 3 gallon tank and put them in a 5.5 or 10 gallon with the right filter and look at them utilize every inch of their new penthouse.

Azul is gorgeous, congrats on your new betta, like potato chips (and fish tanks)-you can never stop at one...Couldn't put it better myself. This is a perfect response.

Boundava
06-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Thank you!

gronlaura
06-07-2016, 09:52 PM
My Mr. Betta has his own 10 gal fishy paradise. He patrols the entire tank and enjoys all the the room available in his 10 gal, especially when he sees his reflection and, with fins flared, swims back and forth to impress that "other betta" in the glass.

SueD
06-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I've never had or wanted a betta, but yours is really beautiful.

PaulPerger
06-08-2016, 12:16 AM

Azul is gorgeous, congrats on your new betta, like potato chips (and fish tanks)-you can never stop at one...

Thanks Boundava. That is helpful information. I have read that they don't need much space, but just after watching Azul in the desktop 5 Gallon, I wouldn't alot any less space. If I do a "Multi-Tank" I will likely segregate a 20 Gallon into four sections. I like the "Multi-Tank" concept as cleaning and keeping water quality good is much easier with a larger tank. After I posted this, I even started thinking about building a shelving unit for two 20 Gallon tanks, serviced and filtered by a third acting as a sump filter, thus having even more water volume (50 Gallons at least) and space for 8 Bettas, without cramming them into a 2 Gallon segment of a tank.

Boundava
06-08-2016, 01:09 AM
If you want to go with a separated tank-make sure they cannot see each other-as this will can cause them to simply want to fight their competition and will cause them stress. This type of barrier may cause problems with filtration along the whole tank-so you may need to consider individual sponge filters.

Here's a link to someone who had a similar idea:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/multi-sectional-betta-tank.197522/

Some alternate tank ideas with plastic canvas dividers-hlp with them not seeing each other and feeling secure.

Another to help you with the divider concept:
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/diy-dividers.html

Its a neat idea.

PaulPerger
06-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks Boundava... That first one is one I found when I googled when I got home... If I do this, and it will be a while before I do, I will use black pvc panels to separate the fish. I will likely paint the back of the tank black as well so the fish are highlighted well. I will lightly decorate each chamber with a small cave and some greenery, much like that last one. I even had a brainstorm last night to do a wide (front) and deep (front to back) tank where I could put a "false back" in black PVC and then build the filtering system into the same tank. Think two tanks within a tank. One long thin one in the back to house all the filtering necessities, heaters, etc. and one in front sectioned off into four or five sections with black walls. Water would come in from the left, flow through chambers left to right, and then exit to the back of the tank, where the water would flow right to left being thoroughly filtered along the way.

But right now I need to finish my 55 Gallon build and then build my 48 Gallon tank, and THEN I can start doing this Betta Tank.... Though trust me, I am keeping my eyes open for the perfect tank at the perfect price and if I see it. I will buy it.

PaulPerger
07-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Well, I found the perfect tank (or darn near perfect) at the perfect (FREE) price! I have changed my thinking slightly and decided that a sideways water flow would not be best... I think each section of the tank having it's own supply and discharge would be better, so I changed my design concept. I started a Tank Journal because, now that I Have a tank, it is on my list of "tanks to build".

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=124111&highlight=

waylon101
07-14-2016, 04:26 AM
At one time I had a Female Betta Sorority but eventually gave up on the idea. I had four in a 29 Gallon and they were all very beautiful but some would starve others and would periodically give each other some pretty good nips that would take days to heal so I gave them away to a bunch of people on my dorm floor.

PaulPerger
07-14-2016, 11:16 AM
At one time I had a Female Betta Sorority but eventually gave up on the idea. I had four in a 29 Gallon and they were all very beautiful but some would starve others and would periodically give each other some pretty good nips that would take days to heal so I gave them away to a bunch of people on my dorm floor.

I plan to keep all males in a tank where they will be separated from each other to avoid the "death by fish" problem that comes with multiple male Bettas. I may even try my hand at breeding... We'll have to wait and see if that is a possibility.

You can see my tank design by clicking on the 20L Multi-Betta tank journal in my sig.

Jwfish13
07-14-2016, 12:13 PM
I will be following for sure, I'm planning the same thing for a 20L. Just a little different setup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk