PDA

View Full Version : Any other Betta breeders out there?

octavio
02-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Howdy. I've been breeding Bettas for decades. I converted my garage into a hatchery and show room years ago. I breed show fish and have refined several color and pattern combinations of Crown Tails and Double Half Moons that have become quite popular. However, these days I've upped my game, working at breeding large (giant) Bettas that also exhibit the same characteristics of excessive veil tails and "dumbo" pectoral fins. I've had some success, but it's much more difficult than I thought it would be when I started this new goal 5 years ago. The biggest problem is that giantism is a recessive characteristic and exceptionally big fins are often hit and miss. It involves a lot of book keepin, so tracking inheritance and characteristics is something I end up doing with an Excel spreadsheet.

I also buy new breeding stock from several breeders in Thailand. I live in Las Vegas and sometimes, despite having all of the right paperwork, I end up spending the entire day with customs and the Nevada Department of Wildlife Resources getting them to approve of the import papers for one or two fish. My experiences are both good and bad buying from overseas breeders. And I've had some spectacularly bad experiences such as needing to destroy my stock because of Mycobacterium marinum (fish tuberculosis), the HAC failing and even burglars. Nothing like explaining to the police the estimated value of a few stolen fish. They weren't amused.

So, is there anyone else who peruses this forum with my same addiction? I am interested in sharing info and maybe some whining about those who think they can keep a Betta in a one-gallon bowl forever.

Brhino
02-26-2016, 08:17 PM
I've never bred bettas but I'm interested in your experiences. How many bettas do you have on hand? Got any pictures of your setup?

octavio
02-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Photos of my hatchery? What a good idea. I'll have to do some judicious house keeping and take photos. I have:

500 one gallon glass jars for growing males for three months after separating them from their fry sisters
250 three-gallon aquariums for growing out males after 3 months in gallon jars
200 additional five-gallon aquariums for growing out males after 3 months in a gallon jars
3 Twentynine-gallon and 4 forty-gallon tanks for keeping females.

The Bettas I sell locally from my garage are sold with a five-gallon tank, food, and 2.5 gallons of commercial purified spring water so when the new owners get the little guys home they can be set up immediately. I also include a rather dense information sheet on the proper care and additional items the new owners need to keep the fish alive and happy. Of course, some customers don't need the tanks, food, etc., and I happily send them off with the usual "fish in a bag" goodbye.

Those that I ship to customers out of state are all shipped in roomy #6 plastic bags filled with oxygen, corners tied with elastic bands and packed in a cushion of biodegradable foam peanuts. I can't deal with packing them in tiny seal-a-meal packets like the poor critters I receive from Thailand and Vietnam.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been more focused on posting photos of some of my favorite breeding males. They are all are as dramatic as film stars and deserve glamour portraits. LOL!

RiversGirl
02-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Your photos will be neat to see.

I also include a rather dense information sheet on the proper care and additional items the new owners need to keep the fish alive and happy.

If you are willing to share, this ^ sounds like a good read. May we please read it?

gronlaura
02-26-2016, 11:11 PM
I would like to read it also. My Mr. Betta is my first and I really enjoy having him. He is a very smart & personable fish.

MCHRKiller
02-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Post some of your offerings in the classifieds; some of us may interested in purchasing from you as well. I know Ive been on the look for a nice betta. Every betta I have owned from Petsmart winds up with large nasty tumors and dies in only 12-18months.

nikelodeon79
02-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a great setup! I'd be interested to see what you have for sale as well. I've imported from Thailand but just not interested in paying the transshipping fees again!

Brhino
02-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Every betta I have owned from Petsmart winds up with large nasty tumors and dies in only 12-18months.

This is why I stopped keeping bettas. At one time we had two betta tanks, 10 and 5.5 gallons. Both heated and filtered with weekly water changes. Every betta we got, which always came from from Petsmart or Meijer, followed the same trend:

6-18 months of visibly healthy behavior and activity
6-12 months of "old man" behavior: resting on an object 90% of the time, only getting up to eat
death

It was more depressing than enjoyable. I wonder if I could have done better with better stock.

Shidohari
03-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Wow I also would love to see pictures of your bettas.

I currently bought 1 crowntail betta from Meijer recently (they surprisingly have SOME good active betta fish. will post pictures when I can get them off my phone and into photobucket :D

Currently in the process of fishless cycling a 10 gallon tank to house another betta and possibly some endler livebearer males.

Shidohari
03-12-2016, 04:04 PM
just to clarify the betta I got from Meijer went into my COMMUNITY TANK. He didn't go into the tank that's cycling :D. Just incase anyone was worried.