PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Betta

_Shea_
02-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Hey guys, i've heard stories of Bettas living up to 10+ years and the secret is always adequate exercise with a stick. A method includes lightly chasing your betta around with a stick for daily exercise. Apparently the longest living Betta Fish lived to be 15 years old due to "his owner chased him around with a stick every day for exercise".

There's also a book by a betta owner who recommends the same procedure and has claimed to own bettas who have lived 10+ years. He accredits this method to the longevity.

My betta doesn't flare, period. I've tried everything including mirrors. Would chasing it around lightly with a stick for a minute every day or so stress him out?

octavio
02-25-2016, 09:03 PM
I've got a good smile on my face having read about you considering chasing your Betta with a stick. I've had Bettas live six+ years, but they do grow old and gray. It's not their nature to live beyond 4 or five years even when given the best of care. However, a couple of months ago I decided my four year-old stud Betta (Lorenzo) deserved to be put out to pasture. I raise and show Bettas, keeping my breeding males in their own 3 and 5 gallon aquariums. I introduced Lorenzo, a heavily finned dumbo-ear double moon, to the 75 gallon tank in my den. At first he was a bit confused and remained listless. He was also showing signs of extreme age, losing a lot of body color (turquoise under color was fading to silver/white). Since his relocation he's spends a good portion of his day fighting the current in the middle of the tank created by an Aqueon filter. I have it cranked up to create enough of a current the tetras and rasboras can enjoy shoaling. Lorenzo obviously has benefitted from his constant struggles against the current when trying to get from one side of the tank to the other. He also has plenty of foliage in which to skulk about and play adventure as well as calm water in which to float.

He's healthier now than when I put him in the big tank and he still recognizes me as his food source. In all the years I've been breeding/raising Bettas I've noticed that no two males have exactly the same temperament. Rather than chase your little guy around the tank consider engaging him with more one on one face time. They really hate being stared at for long periods. Try coaxing him to accept being hand fed, forcing him to accept food from your finger by making it his only option. Male Bettas are usually curious. My new current stud (Facundo) lives in his own five gallon breeding aquarium and follows me when I walk back and forth in front of him. He's hoping to be fed. No secret about that. But he's also curious. If only we could make them get paper routes.

Seriously, ensure your fish has enough space and feed him some frozen blood worms (just two or three) and brine shrimp during the week. Once he associates you with excellent grub he'll come around and sort of act like a companion, especially if you have him where you spend a lot of time such as your desk or a table next to the sofa where you watch TV. The more engaged, the more active he will be. Good luck with him.