PDA

View Full Version : Killer whale 'Lulu' found dead off Scottish island, sparking fears for orca future

Newsbot
01-07-2016, 10:23 AM
More fish News

Killer whale 'Lulu' found dead off Scottish island, sparking fears for orca future (http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-06/killer-whale-lulu-found-dead-off-scottish-island-sparking-fears-for-orca-future/)

ScottishFish
01-09-2016, 12:04 AM
I heard this on the radio on the way to work the other day. So apparently their are 2 kinds of Orcas, fish eating ones and marine mammal eating ones. Their were something like 11 known mammal eating ones which Lulu was one of. The fish eating ones are plentiful in numbers however the marine eating species has not had a calf since they started researching this particular pod. The scientists were thinking they might be infertile due to a build up of toxins. Shame that we are seeing them dwindle away.

Slaphppy7
01-09-2016, 12:10 AM
A shame, indeed.

Man-made toxins, or do they know?

I think I already know the answer, unfortunately.

ScottishFish
01-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Yeah, they reckon a lot of it will be from run off from farm land. The problem is due to the biomass of the food chain under the mammal eating vs fish eating it makes them more susceptable to bioaccumulation of toxins.

Orca eats seal, seal has eaten 100 fish, each fish has eaten 100 smaller fish, each smaller fish has eaten 100 zooplankton, each zooplankton

Each trophic level accumulates the toxin and it increases in potency as you go up the food chain.

Hope that makes sense!

Slaphppy7
01-09-2016, 12:40 AM
It makes perfect sense, thanks for our detailed explanation.

ScottishFish
01-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Suppose the University degree in Marine and Freshwater Biology comes in handy now and then! :-)

Slaphppy7
01-09-2016, 01:13 AM
Indeed it does...nice to have that type of expertise