PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on where to buy bettas?

SheWroteOn
01-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Hi all! I'm new to the forums and wanted to get your advice. I recently bought a small 1 gallon tank with filter. I've always loved bettas and wanted to get another one - the last one I had was in college, so quite a few years ago. After reading a few posts on how the larger pet store chains treat their bettas, I'm reluctant to buy from them.

Is there a chain you recommend buying from? Or even a breeder? I'm in the Chicago area, for what it's worth.

Thanks!

Slaphppy7
01-04-2016, 08:40 PM
1 gallon is too small for a betta, I'm afraid...can you return it for at least a 5G?

Welcome to the AC.

SheWroteOn
01-04-2016, 08:44 PM
I'll see what I can do. What is the ideal size for a betta?

Slaphppy7
01-04-2016, 08:47 PM
I would say 10G or even a bit larger is "ideal", but a 5G will work.

I keep my betta in a 10G, he's a pretty happy and healthy fella.

If you choose to keep the 1G, you could have shrimp in it...still needs to be filtered/heated, though

waylon101
01-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the forum! If you are in the Chicago Area (which is where i'm originally from as well) you should look around at local places. Look for small privately owned aquarium stores in your area. If you can't find one then you can still look at a larger chain. If it comes down to it you can still look at a larger chain like Petsmart as a last resort. Here is a video of my 2.5 Gallon Betta Aquarium (https://youtu.be/IDzH1EGLSxY). She was from Petsmart because they were the only people in my area who carried females. Every pet store I went to only carried males. Have a good day!

Boundava
01-04-2016, 10:07 PM
There is a really good fish store in Deerfield called Fish Planet-they had some bettas, but aquabid.com has good quality bettas too; they can be pricey though. You do pay for what you get as my sister purchased one from there and she (the female betta) is 3 times the size of the 2 bettas we got at a WI fish store and they were the same age. She is so big she needed a 10 gallon tank, the other two fit in a 5.5 perfectly.

Megg
01-07-2016, 05:02 AM
I've purchased from eBay and aquabid, but they are a bit pricier than buying from a shop.

Boundava
01-07-2016, 11:23 AM
This is because you are buying from breeders, not betta mills.

octavio
02-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Definitely see if you can return your 1 gallon container and then find a 5 gallon tank. A male Betta will thrive in five gallons. As for the large pet store chains there is good news and bad news. Bad news first: yes, they treat their Bettas poorly. In fact, the Bettas haven't had much of life at all since hatching at a commercial breeder's operation and ending up in a chain store. The good news: you can earn serious karma points buy rescuing one (or two?) from the evil clutches of its corporate overlords. Most chain pet stores have a turn over of many different varieties and colors. So, you can take advantage of finding a Betta whose color you may prefer. You also run the risk of the little guy going belly up if he's suffering from the shock of being in a confined space and swings room temperature.

I prefer to buy from a local breeder or fish store where they specialize in Bettas. With a little luck and the right care your Betta can easily live for five years (not a guarantee, but more common than not).

Check out waylon101's Betta tank in this thread. It's an excellent example of creating a world for a Betta that will keep it occupied and happy for a long time. Good luck.

Brhino
02-25-2016, 09:39 PM
The good news: you can earn serious karma points buy rescuing one (or two?) from the evil clutches of its corporate overlords.

The argument can be made that by buying bettas from stores that do not treat them well, you may be rescuing the individual fish but you are also supporting the business model that makes treating them like that profitable in the first place, helping to ensure that they will continue to do it. Winning the battle but losing the war, as it were. Just my two cents.