PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water in my betta tank??

Agdistis
12-15-2015, 10:42 PM
I've got a 10 gallon tank with one male betta in it. The tank has been running for about 4 weeks now. The water started off crystal clear for about 5 days of course. Now it has a persistent white cloudiness to it. I was doing a 10% water change every day for the first two weeks (with conditioner and bioclear) now I'm doing it once a week while vacuuming the gravel a bit. It seems to get worse when I do it so that's why I cut it back. Originally I had a small air pump in there but have since taken it out because I couldn't get the air stone to stay in its tubing. I just today received my API master test kit in the mail. PH is high at 8.2 but I heard its more dangerous to the fish to try to change it then just keep it stable. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all come out as 0ppm. I took out some water in a white dish to see if I could spot maybe an algae bloom but nothing. So frustrated!

Gar
12-15-2015, 10:48 PM
has your fish been in there since you set up your tank?
Sounds like it's trying cycle stop cleaning your gravel.
Also read this.
what type of filter are you using?
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492

AmazonJoe
12-15-2015, 11:55 PM
sounds like a bacterial bloom should clear up in a few weeks or so.

I definitely recommend reading up on the link Gar provided. It sounds like you never fully cycled your tank.

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Yes unfortunately I did put the fish in right away :( I'm kind of a newb. I know that was a big mistake now. I just wanted to get him out of that tiny starter tank so bad. Sounds like you might be right and it never cycled fully. I'll start testing daily and doing water changes without vacuuming the gravel.

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 12:32 AM
Also I'm using the Marina slim 15 filter. Its a HOB filter (if HOB means hangs over bowl?, no idea if that's right lol).

AmazonJoe
12-16-2015, 12:36 AM
Hang on back. Its all good we were all noobs at one point and time..

You will be alright, just monitor and do WC's (water changes) as needed to level off toxic levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate. what are you using for tests?

Don't water change unless levels are high..

If your not sure just post your test results everyone here is more then happy to help!

Slaphppy7
12-16-2015, 12:41 AM
HOB = "hang on back", though I guess they could hang on a side, too

Read and re-read the cycling w/fish sticky, follow the instructions precisely, test daily and do your WC's as needed with the Prime, which may have to be done daily for a while

Your cloudiness is probably as mentioned above a bacterial bloom, which is a GOOD thing, and will rectify itself in time.

Keep up with the questions, too, you'll get the help you need.

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 02:56 AM
Hang on back. Its all good we were all noobs at one point and time..

You will be alright, just monitor and do WC's (water changes) as needed to level off toxic levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate. what are you using for tests?

Don't water change unless levels are high..

If your not sure just post your test results everyone here is more then happy to help!

I'm using the API master feshwater test kit. Just got it in the mail today.

AmazonJoe
12-16-2015, 03:07 AM
Cool did you test the water yet?

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 03:20 AM
Yes I did :) Felt like a scientist 100%. Like I said in OP, the PH is high at 8.2 and NI/NA and ammonia are all zero.

Slaphppy7
12-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Get a small bowl and fill it with tap water...let sit 24 hours, then test the ph of that

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 04:00 AM
Alright will do!

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Today my ammonia is at 0.25ppm. Should I do a water change and if so, what percent?? I'm running a 10gal tank.

Agdistis
12-16-2015, 05:54 PM
NVM!!! Got the info from the sticky. Should have read that first, sorry!

Slaphppy7
12-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Good on you for following the advice in the sticky...