PDA

View Full Version : The "other" fish...

Agdistis
11-25-2015, 04:24 AM
So, Morty has discovered the "other" guy in the tank.. Of course I mean his reflection lol I'm worried though. He has been attacking it and puffing up his fins and gills for quite awhile now. Can he get hurt doing this??? How do I stop it if so??

Kitterfly
11-25-2015, 04:59 AM
So, Morty has discovered the "other" guy in the tank.. Of course I mean his reflection lol I'm worried though. He has been attacking it and puffing up his fins and gills for quite awhile now. Can he get hurt doing this??? How do I stop it if so??

I think he'll be fine and it may even be good for him as they're just territorial fish in general, gives him a sense of purpose. ;(

Truth be told though, I really think you should get a larger tank. Nothing crazy mind you. Just a 10 Tetra starter kit or something. Usually pretty cheap and it's a big upgrade for him. For your decor get silk plants, avoid hard plastics so he doesn't hurt himself on them.

Also, change your water often with new dechlorinated water. You don't have a filter or anything so you won't build beneficial bacteria, therefore ammonia will build up over time and the only way to remove it is through water changes. Ammonia, if you didn't know, will kill your fish. It's a poison essentially.

If you get that kit, you'll get a little filtration unit as well. That WILL build beneficial bacteria but it'll take a long time. So you'd still need to do water changes.

He's a beauty and I hope you take good care of him, do a lot of studying and learning. Consider him your first real emergence into a new world and it's a good start at that. A lot more sensible than mine was. Yikes.

Agdistis
11-25-2015, 05:22 AM
Thank you! I'm actually getting a ten gallon for him on Friday :) I'm also getting more silk plants and getting rid of that plastic one when I get the new tank. The one I have is too small to put almost anything in.

As for the filter, not sure if it's what you're talking about but I have an under gravel filter and a little pump with an air stone in it. I haven't changed the water yet because I've only had him for 2 days. Still trying to figure out a food that will fit in his mouth lol