PDA

View Full Version : Food pellets to big?

Agdistis
11-24-2015, 04:43 AM
So I got my little male crown tail yesterday morning. I got him the National Geographic brand betta pellets with color enhancers. I know he's hungry because he has been going for them as I drop them in. I just noticed tonight though that when he's eating, he sucks one in "chews" it for a second and then spits it up! So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a high quality food for tiny mouth bettas??

Rocksor
11-24-2015, 01:13 PM
What about flakes until it gets larger? The pellets may also be too hard.

omega one betta flakes
zoo med micro floating pellets

fsuperpup
11-26-2015, 09:08 AM
In my experience, the bettas will repeat the cycle of sucking the pallet->chewing them->spitting them out-> eat the previously spated out pallets. They do the same with blood worms; spitting them out and then chew. So, I don't think you should worry so about your choice of the pallets as long as you can see the fish eat them and can check good amount of fish poo later as proof that they've ate ;p

DebinWhitmore
11-26-2015, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem with granuels and my fish, they were too crunchy. I soaked them in tank water for about 15 min to 1/2 hour. They got nice and soft and the fish had no problem with them. That was a tip I got from another member here.

Slaphppy7
11-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Yes, pre-soak the pellets in tank water, and break them up beforehand if they're too big

Agdistis
11-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Alright I'll try that. Thanks so much everyone :D