PDA

View Full Version : Is Belize's Blue Hole The Greatest Scuba diving Spot on Earth?

Newsbot
10-06-2015, 09:15 AM
More fish News

Is Belize's Blue Hole The Greatest Scuba diving Spot on Earth? (http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-10-05/greatest-scuba-diving-site-on-earth-blue-hole-belize)

DebinWhitmore
10-06-2015, 12:27 PM
I'll let you know next week, my nephew is diving there in a couple of days.

Deb

wgoldfarb
10-06-2015, 01:10 PM
I dove it. I think it's waaaaay overrated. It's gorgeous when you fly over it, not so great when you are actually inside it. The walls are mostly bare rock, so there is very little coral inside the hole itself. In terms of fauna all we saw were a couple of reef sharks. And it's crowded -- when I dove it there were two other dive boats on it at the same time. Even in Belize itself there are many dive sites that are much better, and in the caribbean alone there are countless places that leave the blue hole in the dust.

Every dive site is different and has its own merits, but if I had to pick ONE dive that I would rate as the best from the many places I have visited, I think it would be Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman Island (disclaimer: I haven't yet been to the red sea, so I can't compare the two). Crystal clear water, a perfectly vertical wall with TONS of very different types of coral (including a good amount of black coral, which nowadays is hard to find) that goes down as far as the eye can see (someone told me it goes down to over 5000 feet), and because very few people dive it it has LOTS of very diverse fauna... from sharks to turtles. The water is so clear you feel as if you are flying... and after a while, it starts to feel as if the wall is actually the bottom and you are swimming sideways over the floor. very cool! I couldn't get enough of it! The island itself is amazing. The friendliest people you'll meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qg69opiG2I

In terms of dive destinations, Bonaire, also in the caribbean, is hard to beat. The diving is superb (the water is so calm and clear it's like diving in a fish tank... but a fish tank with lots of filtration ;-), but what makes it such a great destination is the convenience. No matter where on the island you enter the water, you are guaranteed a great dive site. I used to go with 3 other friends and we would rent one those VW vans (like the one scooby has!) , load it up with tanks early in the morning and leave the hotel. We would dive, drive to a new spot, dive, drive to a new spot... all day. On a good day we might do up to 5-6 dives in one day, plus another one at night.

So, if you ask me, no, the Blue Hole is far from being the best dive in the world.

Boundava
10-06-2015, 03:28 PM
I'll let you know next week, my nephew is diving there in a couple of days.

Deb
How cool! Hope he has a waterproof camera, needs to share those photos!

Boundava
10-06-2015, 03:30 PM
I dove it. I think it's waaaaay overrated. It's gorgeous when you fly over it, not so great when you are actually inside it. The walls are mostly bare rock, so there is very little coral inside the hole itself. In terms of fauna all we saw were a couple of reef sharks. And it's crowded -- when I dove it there were two other dive boats on it at the same time. Even in Belize itself there are many dive sites that are much better, and in the caribbean alone there are countless places that leave the blue hole in the dust.

Every dive site is different and has its own merits, but if I had to pick ONE dive that I would rate as the best from the many places I have visited, I think it would be Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman Island (disclaimer: I haven't yet been to the red sea, so I can't compare the two). Crystal clear water, a perfectly vertical wall with TONS of very different types of coral (including a good amount of black coral, which nowadays is hard to find) that goes down as far as the eye can see (someone told me it goes down to over 5000 feet), and because very few people dive it it has LOTS of very diverse fauna... from sharks to turtles. The water is so clear you feel as if you are flying... and after a while, it starts to feel as if the wall is actually the bottom and you are swimming sideways over the floor. very cool! I couldn't get enough of it! The island itself is amazing. The friendliest people you'll meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qg69opiG2I

In terms of dive destinations, Bonaire, also in the caribbean, is hard to beat. The diving is superb (the water is so calm and clear it's like diving in a fish tank... but a fish tank with lots of filtration ;-), but what makes it such a great destination is the convenience. No matter where on the island you enter the water, you are guaranteed a great dive site. I used to go with 3 other friends and we would rent one those VW vans (like the one scooby has!) , load it up with tanks early in the morning and leave the hotel. We would dive, drive to a new spot, dive, drive to a new spot... all day. On a good day we might do up to 5-6 dives in one day, plus another one at night.

So, if you ask me, no, the Blue Hole is far from being the best dive in the world.

Darn the video has been disabled...will get it later don't want to watch it on another window at work-in case someone walks by...:nono:

Slaphppy7
10-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Just click on "Diving Bloody Bay Wall" in the upper left corner of the viewer, and it will open the vid on a new page on Youtube.