PDA

View Full Version : How many buy baby betta at Petco?

KINGMED
08-06-2015, 06:50 PM
I like to buy my new betta as babies if possible, at our Petco they get fancy babies quite often, my oldest daughter has a red double tail like myself that we got a few months ago and they are looking great. In 2009 I bought one female and she stayed with us for 5 years, she spent her life in a large 3 gallon heated wine glass bowl and one day we woke up and she was gone. She got her water changed religiously every 3 days.

mommy1
08-06-2015, 08:02 PM
I refuse to buy a betta out of a cup. I know many here view this as a rescue, but I only seeing it as justifying and continuing the abusive way betta are shipped and kept. I would only buy betta from a real, filtered, and heated tank or from a reputable breeder. If people stop buying them in cups, they will stop being sold in cups.

And just so you know, this is how your betta is shipped before it goes into the cup.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2v995k6.jpg

SeaLady
08-06-2015, 11:43 PM
I agree, I won't buy them that way...just can't do it...

Fluffy
08-25-2015, 11:20 PM
My LFS keeps bettas in cups, but also in tanks. They're rather knowledgeable, everyone there being hobbyist and enthusiasts themselves. They keep them in much larger cups than petco/petsmart/walmart (about 2.5 cups of water per betta, not much, but better than the piddly 1.25 that's usually in the little cups at the other places), change the water twice a day, feed them live food, and have "heat lights" over them so the water stays nice and warm (maybe not as warm as a heater would keep it, but certainly warmer than it would be just sitting on a shelf). Plus, the cups are glass (they pour the betta into a bag when you buy it, unless you buy a full set up in which case they will come install everything in your house for you, betta and all) so there's no chemicals being leached into the water either like the disposable plastic cups.

Sometimes cups are okay... Just not when you neglect what's inside them...

What's really bad is the people who think it's a great idea to keep Betta's in a vase with a plant over the top.

Find a proper LFS and see if they'll get babies in, or special order for you. If not you can order online.

waylon101
10-09-2015, 05:17 AM
I think it is ok to get Betta fish from a cup as long as you have a credible source. A lot of people are very picky about where they get them. I have a local aquarium store that I trust very much. I trust that they have a viable source because of how cautious they are and they also keep their cups very up to date. I would not advise one from petco just because of how they are bred and kept on a daily basis. I know some of the older members would not even give it the time of day but if all you can find is bettas in cups then you need to pick the most credible source.

Eddie Charles
12-22-2015, 01:44 AM
I've bought Bettas from a non-chain store in cups, however, the betas looked great and have always lived long lives in my care. The Bettas at Petco/Petsmart don't look very appealing. In fact the non chain store in general has much healthier fish on display as a general rule. They also quarantine new arrivals and stick to their guns on this policy. They seem to have very knowledgable people on staff and do charge more than Petco/Petsmart.

Not saying I don't use Petco/Petsmart, they occasionally get some shipments that look very good...and prices are usually always very good.

Julian_the_fish
12-28-2015, 07:48 PM
I have always liked beta fish just because it was the first fish I ever got...when I was 7 from a cup at Walmart. I have gotten betas from a cup before simply because I feel so bad for them. I have learned since then, however that by buying pets that are not handled properly (like the ones at petco, Walmart, etc) that just encourages those stores to go out and get more fish in a cup of water