PDA

View Full Version : 6 gallon bookshelf

KINGMED
08-06-2015, 06:29 PM
The tank has been cycling for 5 weeks with 3 white clouds, it is being filtered with a zoomed 501 turtle filter with spray bar under the water. Just put some pool filter sand in yesterday, is being heated to 78 degrees. A few hours ago took out the clouds and put my juvenile red double tail betta in there, he looks and acts like he is in betta heaven. The current is not to strong, however I have a silk plant approx half way blocking some of the current. Picked up my betta approx 2 months ago at Petco, he was a baby at around 1/4" long and now he is an inch or so long and filling out nicely. Any recommendations on tank mate for my betta?

Slaphppy7
08-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Maybe a single snail, or some shrimp....6G is too small for any other fish but a single betta

Anders247
08-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Agreed with the above. Any fish will likely be too big or will be killed by the betta in that small of a tank.

mommy1
08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
What are the dimensions of your tank?

KINGMED
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
It's a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank from Petco, got it at a yardsale a few years ago for around a dollar or so. 24"long x 9.25"high x 8.13"wide, Petco here has some crayfish with there goldfish would these or a blue crayfish work or to dangerous for betta? I'm constantly looking around at yard sales for more of these tanks but haven't found anymore, last Saturday got a 2.5 gallon glass tank for only a dollar along with a 75 gallon and stand for 25.00. Love the 2.5 gallons also, I use the craft sheets used for tank dividers for my tops when I need one.

mommy1
08-06-2015, 07:10 PM
24 inches long and 8 inches wide is plenty of footprint for a small group of small fish and a betta. Look up celestial pearl radio and other micro rasbora. Pay attention to the temperature range as the betta should not go less than 78f or 25c. Be prepared with a backup plan just in case the betta decides he doesn't want company, but people need to stop fearing the betta!

fishmommie
08-06-2015, 07:32 PM
I agree with Mommy1. I have a 15 gal with a betta and around a dozen neons + nerites and mystery snails. No problems. I did, however, attempt to add shrimp and in my case, it was a mistake. Never saw them after I added them. I suspect Neuman (the betta) considered them buffet :o(

Slapp, however, has a 10 gal with a betta and shrimp and it's a great set up. No problems what so ever.

gronlaura
08-06-2015, 10:34 PM
And nix the crayfish idea - with those flowing fins and a shallow tank, bye-bye betta!

Anders247
08-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Celestial pearl danios need cooler temps than bettas, so they wouldn't be an option.....

mommy1
08-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Celestial pearl danios need cooler temps than bettas, so they wouldn't be an option.....Good thing I told the OP to check the temperatures for each fish before they decided isn't it? Actually their high end temperature is about the same as a betta's low end temperature.

Anders247
08-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Good thing I told the OP to check the temperatures for each fish before they decided isn't it? Actually their high end temperature is about the same as a betta's low end temperature.

78? That's what they can handle for a while, so I have read. They are temperate, permanently at that temp of 78 and they will have a shorter lifespan. They should be at 74 or less permanently.

SueD
08-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Take a look at the dwarf pencilfish - Nannostomus marginatus.