PDA

View Full Version : Betta sleeping on top of water

KINGMED
07-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Is it normal for bettas to do this? I have a male who does this continually, he sleeps on his side. He's perfectly fine, I just curious if this is or can be normal behavior

Slaphppy7
07-23-2015, 02:48 PM
I've never heard of a betta sleeping at the surface on it's side like this.

Water params are good?

Zanethan
07-24-2015, 05:20 PM
I had a beta sleep on his side. But he was quite old when he started doing it. I had him for 3+ years and he started doing it after about 2.5 years. How old is he?

Boundava
07-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah, never had one sleep on his side (and still be alive). I have had over 11 bettas.

octavio
02-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Yup. They do that. I breed the little critters and find that they are all different with what appear to be odd quirks. I had one that slept vertically, standing on his head. As long as there are no signs of disease your Betta should be just fine. If he doesn't have any yet, you might give him a bunch of anacharis floating in his tank or, if you really want to give him a treat, look for a package of Indian Almond leaves. Float leaf in his tank, removing only after a couple of months. These leaves are often found in their native water habitats and Bettas use them like personal furniture, sleeping, on top of (when submerged) and around them and building bubble nests.

gronlaura
02-25-2016, 11:49 PM
I agree about the IAL - my Mr. Betta lays on his and is always checking it out. He also has lots of leaves and grasses to rest on - he likes the grasses best.