PDA

View Full Version : What frozen grocery meats are good for bettas?

KINGMED
06-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I know that beef heart can be fed to bettas but can I feed (chicken liver, beef liver, chicken gizzard or hearts) to bettas? I am feeding my bettas omega 1 betta pellets at present time, and also tetra betta pellets but I don't really think the tetra food has a lot to offer.
Also dried tubiflex worms are they healthy for them?, have heard mixed reviews. And between frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms which one is the best of these, I will be picking up some frozen food at Petsmart tomorrow, Petco has Sally's frozen food. Does it matter what brand of frozen fish food to buy, sally's, San Francisco or omega?, personally I try to stay with omega 1 but some places don't have it. Sorry for asking tons of questions, when I lived in Pennsylvania it was easier to buy certain frozen foods for my fish, here in Texas you are limited, especially in Wichita Falls, Tx.

Slaphppy7
06-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Brine shrimp and blood worms are fine, don't feed land animal meat to tropical fish. There are lipids (fats) in these meats that fish can't digest properly.

There are a few exceptions, but no need to risk giving your fish foods that aren't proper for them.

Tubifex worms are fine, but all dried worms should be presoaked in tank water first.

Hey, now that you are a fellow Texan, you need to edit your location! :22:

KINGMED
06-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the info, on the frozen food does it matter what brand to buy at the pet store? Also Petsmart has the frozen freshwater community formula 4 different types of food in one package.

Slaphppy7
06-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info, on the frozen food does it matter what brand to buy at the pet store?

There's been studies done on the nutrtional aspects of many fish foods, I forgot to bookmark a particular one done recently that gronlaura told us about.

I'll PM her and see if she will reply here.

Boundava
06-30-2015, 02:02 AM
I have only used San Francisco Bay or Hikari frozen foods. I know Petco sells SFB. Don't recall was PetnotsoSmart sells as I haven't shopped there for a few years now.

I agree with Mr.Slap no animal meats for fish. I feed my bettas frozen: bloodworms, spirulina fed brine shrimp, daphnia, cyclops, mysis shrimp and the New life spectrum community fish pellets. I used to feed them freeze dried foods, but read that even re-hydrating them-they have lost all of the nutrients so aren't very good and can constipate the bettas.

I agree the tetra pellets are not going to do him good, probably full of fillers, by-products, and starches/grains.

Slaphppy7
06-30-2015, 05:41 PM
http://www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-analysis.html

gronlaura
06-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Also, be careful with tubifex worms. Feed only FD or frozen and make sure they are not out of date. I feed bloodworms rather than tubifex.

Boundava
06-30-2015, 10:25 PM
I agree, don't know if its coincidence or directly related-but the last time I fed my fish frozen Hikari tubiflex worms I lost a couple tetras the next day. They started by swimming weird and then had crooked backs. These were black phantom tetras I had for a while and I just fed them that the one time. I threw the tubiflex worms out that day they died and haven't fed them any since.

gronlaura
06-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Tubifex worms live in sewage or in the sediment at the bottom of the water source, which is why you should never feed live tubifex. And they are high in fat, so they will put a lot of weight on your fish, but with no nutritional benefit.

Slaphppy7
06-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Good to know, thanks ladies.

Boundava
07-01-2015, 03:08 AM
The tetras started swimming in circles, whirling around-it was scary. Looked like those maple "helicopter" seeds we called them as kids, the ones with the fans at one end and the seed at the other that would spin tail out and the weight of the seed would slowly bring it to the ground.

https://youtu.be/ZUEXKapAVcY

Slaphppy7
07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Nature's way of spreading the seeds further away from the tree...if they get caught up in a good breeze, they can travel quite the distance from the source tree

We have what we call 'redbud' trees here, with the same type of winged seeds...on a windy day, I'll get them on my driveway from the neighbor's tree, 50 or 60 yards away

Boundava
07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Yup, but nothing you want your fish to be doing!

Slaphppy7
07-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Not unless it makes them happy, lol