PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Betta

waylon101
05-21-2015, 05:46 AM
I've had a male betta for a few months now. I went to the local pet store and really fell in love with this female crowntail betta. I bought her and brought her home. I know the basics of betta fish breeding. I didn't buy the fish for breeding but because I liked her. I have the male betta in a 10 Gallon tank and I have a vase in the middle with the female in it. It was fun watching them look at each other and watching the male try to show off to her :hmm3grin2orange: . I noticed that she is making eggs. If I chose not to breed them will she continue to make eggs? If she does will this affect her? If I did breed them I really don't want 50 bettas. I've heard of maybe having the female eat them? What would your advice be?

Neoaculus
05-28-2015, 04:50 PM
After about a week, there shouldn't be any more eggs being produced. You should be able to let those two be in the same tank

mommy1
05-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Do not put those fish together. Floating one in a vase for the other to see is a lot different then having them in the same tank, and also cruel. I hope you have a heated and filtered tank for her. If you were to put them in the same tank he will harass her until she produces eggs then once the bubble nest is full of eggs he will kill her, or at least give it a good try.

waylon101
06-10-2015, 09:23 PM
I disagree that it is cruel. I've seen people keep bettas together on racks, side by side, and I don't think it is any different. 41351

gronlaura
06-10-2015, 09:40 PM
You do know that all the bettas can end up in the lower compartment in that setup? It happened at the Chicago Expo. They floated down thru the waterfalls. I don't know why anyone would ever think that is a way to house any fish.

Sandz
06-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Marketing and the all mighty dollar succeeds what is responsible for the fish... Thus we have big box stores and this wonderful example of crap.

gronlaura
06-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Marketing and the all mighty dollar succeeds what is responsible for the fish... Thus we have big box stores and this wonderful example of crap.

+10 to that!

waylon101
06-10-2015, 10:39 PM
I was just using it as an example. There are also tank dividers like this which is more what I was talking about. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d771iruEttw/UWLPl1rlzWI/AAAAAAAAA8U/E6Cy1BqpUP8/s1600/10+betta+barracks+LittleBettaFish+BF+com.jpg

Anders247
06-10-2015, 11:08 PM
I was just using it as an example. There are also tank dividers like this which is more what I was talking about. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d771iruEttw/UWLPl1rlzWI/AAAAAAAAA8U/E6Cy1BqpUP8/s1600/10+betta+barracks+LittleBettaFish+BF+com.jpg

That seems like way too little space to me.....they can jump over the divider too you know. It also stress them out, being able to see each other through the divider.

Sandz
06-10-2015, 11:20 PM
I totally understand there is horrid treatment of fish. Just because its been done, doesnt make it propper. What you will find here is people taking the fishes care first and foremost. No one here has a 75g tank with a betta holder in it like stores use... or a shelf of cups.... At least I think they dont.... well.... maybe slap... but anyway... To my point, I think that if you want to be responsible in the fishes care that you hold, you should not use these methods of housing.

Also - you said you dont want to have 50 betta. Dont breed the betta then... Find responsible quarters for them and set everything up.

Slaphppy7
06-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Hey!...why would I have a "shelf of cups"??

I have a "shelf of shot glasses", but for a totally different reason than fishkeeping.

For me, keeping a single betta in anything less than 5 gallons of water is analogous to keeping a dog as a pet, tied to a tree.

Even with shelter from the elements, with water and food daily, and some human interaction.

Will they live?....probably...will they thrive?....highly doubtful

There's a huge difference in "live" and "thrive", if you ask me.

As responsible petkeepers, whether it be bettas or elephants, it's the KEEPER's responsibility to make sure that they are as comfortable as possible...pets didn't pick us, we picked them.

Just my 2 cents...

Anders247
06-10-2015, 11:49 PM
They will live, but will they will live as long as they would in a proper tank?

mommy1
06-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I disagree that it is cruel. I've seen people keep bettas together on racks, side by side, and I don't think it is any different. It isn't any different and it is cruel. You keep your fish the way you want and I will keep my fish the right way,

Anders247
06-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Yep....it's your decision in the end. Good luck to you, but I doubt it will end up good.

octavio
02-25-2016, 10:39 PM
Hate to jump on the "you're doing it wrong" band wagon, but keeping males and females together or trying to keep two males together is a very bad idea. I have a serious addiction to keeping Bettas. My addiction is so bad that I've been breeding them in my garage for almost 50 years. I have 1 gallon glass jars that I use for separating out the young males for two months, but then I put them in a 3 or 5 gallon tank. I've got rows and rows of 3 gallon tanks along with even more give gallon tanks. I just can't bring myself to keeping them in little containers. Obviously, I'll never be a threat to breeders in Thailand or Vietnam. Even cutting them out into one gallon jars is, in my opinion, cruel. But I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.

Still, if you can't keep a Betta in at least a 3 gallon tank with a small heater and small sponge or HOB filter you're not doing the fish any great favors.

Shidohari
04-13-2016, 09:47 PM
I disagree that it is cruel. I've seen people keep bettas together on racks, side by side, and I don't think it is any different. 41351

I hated this Betta fall thing. It was so easy to overfill the bottom, the things were only .75 gallon in water volume and I returned it within a day or two of buying it to Petsmart.

PaulPerger
08-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Hate to jump on the "you're doing it wrong" band wagon, but keeping males and females together or trying to keep two males together is a very bad idea. I have a serious addiction to keeping Bettas. My addiction is so bad that I've been breeding them in my garage for almost 50 years. I have 1 gallon glass jars that I use for separating out the young males for two months, but then I put them in a 3 or 5 gallon tank. I've got rows and rows of 3 gallon tanks along with even more give gallon tanks. I just can't bring myself to keeping them in little containers. Obviously, I'll never be a threat to breeders in Thailand or Vietnam. Even cutting them out into one gallon jars is, in my opinion, cruel. But I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.

Still, if you can't keep a Betta in at least a 3 gallon tank with a small heater and small sponge or HOB filter you're not doing the fish any great favors.

I would love to see your setup... I have been considering housing more Betta, as I have found that I absolutely love the one I have.

AmazonJoe
08-17-2016, 04:40 PM
It's always users discretion however if we think on optimizing the quality of life. Obviously keeping a fish with such a small area for swimming it will be stressed and shorten its life span. Everything that I've read about bettas suggest the only possible tank mates as fish goes are white mountain minnows. Which goes back to tank size if you want to add fish you need more room! In nature betta females and males do not associate often except breeding. So by having them in the same tank or even close enough so the male can see it will spell disaster. Hope you just decide to set up separate tanks at least 5g's

BluewaterBoof
08-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Wow, totally missed this thread during my hiatus. Glad I didn't see it. I think it's apparent how I feel bettas should be housed. Compare one of my betta tanks to that horrid novelty shown above and tell me which fish have a better home.

As the others said, do not keep a male and female together as the male will kill her, and if you're going to use a divider or house them in separate but nearby tanks, use something that is opaque so that they can't see each other.

Boundava
08-17-2016, 05:44 PM
In all actuality the females are the ones that kill the males. Had an interesting speaker talk about breeding bettas back in June and he explained about watching the pair carefully and went over some sign that the male should be removed from the tank or he would be killed. He had lost a couple bettas to matting aggression-the girls just did not like the males and wanted them out of the tank and her space by any means (dead or alive).

AmazonJoe
08-17-2016, 07:19 PM
Its just a shame that the big box companies have created such a huuuuuge misconception about proper betta care. So its up to sites like ours to properly educate :).

PaulPerger
08-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Its just a shame that the big box companies have created such a huuuuuge misconception about proper betta care. So its up to sites like ours to properly educate :).

I hate it when I hear someone say they have a Betta at home and then learn they have it in a bowl. I don't want to be "THAT" guy who immediately gets all judgemental, but I usually do try to bring it up somehow. I usually talk about my Betta's tank and how he loves to swim around and sleep on the plants, and how he comes to greet me in the morning and how he likes to be "pet"... I think they usually get the idea...

I_smell_fish
10-10-2016, 10:43 AM
I've had a male betta for a few months now. I went to the local pet store and really fell in love with this female crowntail betta. I bought her and brought her home. I know the basics of betta fish breeding. I didn't buy the fish for breeding but because I liked her. I have the male betta in a 10 Gallon tank and I have a vase in the middle with the female in it. It was fun watching them look at each other and watching the male try to show off to her :hmm3grin2orange: . I noticed that she is making eggs. If I chose not to breed them will she continue to make eggs? If she does will this affect her? If I did breed them I really don't want 50 bettas. I've heard of maybe having the female eat them? What would your advice be?

A vase is not an adequate space for a betta, male or female. I would not put a betta in anything less than 5 gallons with a filter, heater, and plants. The plants should be just thick enough to allow for an interesting space for the betta to investigate and enjoy, but not so overgrown as to make the usable space too small for the betta. I have seen a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank and it was sort of ok, but didn't allow room for enough plants. Personally, I would use a minimum of 5 gallons. How can you think a 10 gallon tank is a nice space for a male betta, but a vase is just fine for a female? She has the same needs as the male. However, I have kept 5 female bettas in a 5 gallon tank and they had plenty of space, did not fight, and did not display any aggressive or stressed behavior. I would never keep more than 5 females in a 5 gallon tank, and no less than 5 as the fewer there are the more likely they are to fight. Also, a 5 or 10 gallon tank for one male betta or 5 females allows space for other fish, making the tank more interesting for the bettas and for you and other observers. Endlers, or dwarf rasboras have worked very well for me, but not both in a 5 gallon tank, but 5 of each in a 10 gallon tank has worked fine. I have also successfully used full grown cherry shrimp and other similar sized shrimp in either sized tank. They are too big for the betta to eat, and the betta will eat the offspring keeping the tank from being quickly overrun with tiny shrimp. When I've used a 10 gallon tank I've used the very small breed corydoras and no more than 2 otocinclus. The corydora prefer to be in groups of at least 5 so a five gallon tank is too small. In any case, it is, without a doubt, cruel to keep any betta, male or female in a vase.