PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously Impossible Fin Rot

Naiad
05-01-2015, 06:40 PM
About 2 months ago I went on vacation and had my someone babysit my betta. The babysitter didn't understand the importance of cleaning the tank, so my fish got a case of fin rot. I started off treating him by cleaning his tank daily (it's only 10 gallons so that was easy). After 2 weeks of no improvement, I gave him 2 weeks of aquarium salt. Things still got worse. I just got Maracyn 2 and treated him for the recommended 5 days. Today was his last dose. Parts of his tail look better, while others have gotten MUCH worse.

My water has continuously tested as 0,0,0, so water quality is not the issue. He just caught a bad bug.

The fish lost about 1/3 of his tail (veil tail) with 1/2 of the remaining portion clear/white from infection. Only in the last week since starting maracyn 2 has it started to look shredded. His bottom fin only started showing signs of infection Monday, yet by today he is already missing a centimeter and has some areas that look shredded.

The fin rot is progressing faster than it used to and is getting dangerously close to the fish's body. Should I start another round of meds, or start a more aggressive approach to healing him, such as cutting off the infected tail portion of the tail or adding hydrogen peroxide to the infected areas?

fishmommie
05-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Oh boy. That's too bad.
I have never used Maracyn 2. Does it have an antibiotic in it? If so, I'd dose again because at this point, you've got to take some drastic measures. I'd also start the salt treatment again but at about 1/2 the strength since you're also dosing medication.
The only time I've dealt with fin rot, I dosed with API fungus cure and Metro+ antibiotic + 1/2 doses of salt and frequent water changes. It did the job.

Oh - You probably know this but if you have any activated carbon in your filter, it will pull all medication out of the water and render it infective.
I'd be so afraid to cut on the fins. No idea about using peroxide.

Good luck. I hope yuu can help him.

About 2 months ago I went on vacation and had my someone babysit my betta. The babysitter didn't understand the importance of cleaning the tank, so my fish got a case of fin rot. I started off treating him by cleaning his tank daily (it's only 10 gallons so that was easy). After 2 weeks of no improvement, I gave him 2 weeks of aquarium salt. Things still got worse. I just got Maracyn 2 and treated him for the recommended 5 days. Today was his last dose. Parts of his tail look better, while others have gotten MUCH worse.

My water has continuously tested as 0,0,0, so water quality is not the issue. He just caught a bad bug.

The fish lost about 1/3 of his tail (veil tail) with 1/2 of the remaining portion clear/white from infection. Only in the last week since starting maracyn 2 has it started to look shredded. His bottom fin only started showing signs of infection Monday, yet by today he is already missing a centimeter and has some areas that look shredded.

The fin rot is progressing faster than it used to and is getting dangerously close to the fish's body. Should I start another round of meds, or start a more aggressive approach to healing him, such as cutting off the infected tail portion of the tail or adding hydrogen peroxide to the infected areas?