PDA

View Full Version : SMB's Salty Setups

Pages : 1 [2] 3

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm sure it's too early to be thinking of stocking, but it seems to be on my mind today.

Fishies:
Ocellaris clownfish x1
Cardinalfish x1 (longspine or yellowstriped)
Goby x1 (court jester, green clown, yellow clown, black clown, Hector's, hi fin red banded or Wheeler's)

CUC:
Peppermint shrimp - unsure of how many
Snails - nassarius, nerite, cerith, margarita, trochus - unsure of which ones or how many of each, but these are the ones I'd like to chose from.

Macroalgae:
Chaeto for refugium and several decorative varieties (this will be limited by what's available online and what can be ordered by my LFS) for the tank.

Corals:
Mushroom corals - maybe

Boundava
05-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Ooohhh, now I have to go and look all of those up...:ssmile:

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Ooohhh, now I have to go and look all of those up...:ssmile:
Have fun! Other than the clownfish, which has been a definite addition from the start, it has been tough figuring out the rest. So many pretty fish and interesting invertabrates, macro algae and corals to look at!
Tank size helped whittle the list down quite a bit as far as the fish selections. I tried to pick out ones native to Indio-Pacific, but that's a large area and left quite a few to choose from. I also tried to weed out the ones notorious for jumping out of tanks.
I'll be doing more research on each fish, but at least I feel like I've got a more manageable list of contenders now. [emoji2]

Boundava
05-26-2015, 07:51 PM
That was a fun lunch break thumbs2:

Love the clown!

Like the yellow stripped, also saw a pajama-so cute too! http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+26+85&pcatid=85

I have seen these shrimp before, love them and agree, more the merrier.

snails:nassarius, nerite, cerith, margarita, trochus...love how you have tem selected for detritus and algae control.

The macroalgae you have a lot of choices, Live Aquaria has a few varieties, love the shaving brush: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+565&pcatid=565 or the halimeda is neat too: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3468+490+656&pcatid=656

Love the mushroom coral, they are so colorful and Live Aquaria has a nano variety pack too: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+2315&pcatid=2315. This is going to look so neat.

(can you guess where I looked for these fish/shrimp/snails/algae, lol)

:19:some great options there!

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Thank you! Those pajama cardinalfish creep me out. I think it's the red eyes. They creep out Compass / Rob too. He said they remind him of creepy clowns. I think they're one of those things that you either love them or hate them. lol

keithw283
05-26-2015, 07:59 PM
I like your choice of filter. I have an AC 50 on my 20 gallon tank and it is great compared to the last one I had. I bought the AC 70 for my 88 gallon. I'm using a highly rated skimmer and a lot of rock so I am hoping the 70 will be good enough. If not, I'll just throw the 50 on there as well. I am loving that filter though because it takes up virtually no room in the tank and from my little experience with it it works very well

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks! I thought about using a 110, but was worried about it being too big for a 20 gallon. Plus I didn't want to pay that much for something that I was going to modify. I still felt weird about cutting up the basket and putting silicone all over a brand new filter!

I'm hoping to have a 'planted' reef tank with lots of macro algae, otherwise I may not have even used a fuge. I just want to make sure the oxygen and pH levels stay as stable as I can make them using a reverse lighting schedule.

Your 88 gallon is coming along nicely. How do you plan to cycle your tank?

keithw283
05-26-2015, 08:29 PM
I have dry rock that I have in there right now. I'm just gonna wait it out.

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 08:41 PM
Wait it out? I was wondering what you were going to use for your ammonia source to get the cycle started?

I'm thinking that I will probably add a chunk of live rock in with my dry rock to kickstart the cycle once I get everything set up properly. Maybe I'll get some nice hitchhikers. Hopefully I won't get any nasty ones!

RiversGirl
05-26-2015, 09:34 PM
I'll be doing more research on each fish, but at least I feel like I've got a more manageable list of contenders now. [emoji2]

This is quite an accomplishment. I hope you pat yourself on the back for that. Just narrowing down enough to wrap your mind around where you want to focus your 'finalizing research' is an understated sort of accomplishment, all by itself.

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 09:46 PM
You do make a valid point, RG! :shappy: I plan on watching a lot of youtube videos to try to see how the fish look in action, so to speak. It's hard to tell much from just a still picture. Other than which ones have pretty colors. lol

Since I'll only have 3 fish in the tank it sure would be nice if they're somewhat active and social, rather than ones that are typically shy and like to hide. I want to be able to watch and enjoy them.

SueD
05-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Thank you! Those pajama cardinalfish creep me out. I think it's the red eyes. They creep out Compass / Rob too. He said they remind him of creepy clowns. I think they're one of those things that you either love them or hate them. lol

I loved the pajama cardinal fish. But this one is cool, too - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+26+2672&pcatid=2672

And I think it's funny that these are considered semi-agressive - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+2315&pcatid=2315

Just shows I know nothing about marine life.

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I do think those cardinals are beautiful, but I've seen them at my LFS and they just sort of let themselves float in the current and didn't seem to have a lot of personality. Very pretty though.

Got to watch out for those semi-aggressive mushrooms! I think they can put off some type of toxin and you're supposed to wear gloves when handling them. That's why they're a maybe. lol

RiversGirl
05-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Got to watch out for those semi-aggressive mushrooms! I think they can put off some type of toxin and you're supposed to wear gloves when handling them. That's why they're a maybe. lol

I know less than nil about saltwater tanks. Thanks for teaching me something new today.

showmebutterfly
05-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Glad I could share information. [emoji2] The one thing I've learned from all my reading is that it's best to wear gloves with some of the critters found in SW. That scared me at first, but my desire to do this setup finally won out over the fear.

RiversGirl
05-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Better to be safe than sorry, for sure!

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Happy day! It rained this morning, but it wasn't raining this evening and the ground wasn't too saturated for us to pull the truck down into the yard. Great news as it allowed us to finally move a couple of china cabinets from the garage into the house. Now I can empty out the antique buffet so we can get it out of the house and make room for the aquarium stand. I've been waiting for this day and getting those cabinets in the house for a long time!

Slaphppy7
05-27-2015, 01:38 AM
Here's :cheers: to progress!...happy for you!

Boundava
05-27-2015, 12:59 PM

That's funny-didn't get the "clown" vibe at all-and the eyes aren't buggin me, but I can see how it could go all creepy at night with the moonlights...lol

The yellowstripe is very pretty too, little smaller too.

Just read the cabinet moving, yay for getting room for the tank stand in the house :19:

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Even more than getting the aquarium stand moved in and the tanks set up, I am looking forward to FINALLY unpacking my collectibles and knick knacks and kitchen items! It will almost be like Christmas since everything has been boxed up for so long.

I feel like our house projects are like one of those sliding puzzle games. There's one square open and you have to slide all the other squares around to get them where you want them to make a complete picture. That's been our life for over a year now. Except the puzzle squares are big pieces of furniture and / or closets, cabinets, drawers that need to be cleared out and sorted. Taking 2 established households and blending them into a home has its rewards, but it has also been a lot of work and frustrating and stressful at times. It has been frustrating for me since it's my stuff that's been in storage and it has been stressful for the hubs because it's his house that's getting rearranged. But we are beginning to see how the completed picture is going to turn out. :shappy:

In a way I feel like we can thank my dad for these changes. His death solidified my desire to have a SW tank as a way to honor his memory and the hubs was / is supportive of that. We'd been putting off redoing the dining room and putting it off and putting it off. There's no telling when we might have actually gotten around to doing anything if it weren't for working on making this setup happen. The SW tank build was the catalyst. Working on a project together as a couple, prettying up the dining room and getting my stuff unpacked are all bonuses.

Okay... I'm finished being sentimental... for now. lol

Boundava
05-27-2015, 02:27 PM
:grouphug: Glad it is working out for you. Have fun with your early Christmas in May, and I am very happy for you and your hubby-you two seem like a great pair.

RiversGirl
05-27-2015, 05:31 PM
I sympathize with you on the turmoil of combining two households. Somehow it was also my stuff that got set in storage, as well. That is hard, but you are making progress and you will get there before you know it!

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Thank you, ladies! I think the hubs and I make a pretty good team. I feel like we're in the homestretch now with getting the house in order and making it homey for both of us.

Another bonus of moving the china cabinets out of the garage - I was able to get to the 4 x 8 sheets of foam board insulation that were against the wall behind the cabinets. I pulled one of those out and set it to the side for when I'm ready to get the tanks set up.

In other tank related news - I got the call from the pet store that the tank I want is finally in stock and they have one set aside for me! I'll go pick that up today after work. With my OCD, since the 2 tanks will be sitting side by side, I needed the new brackish tank to match the tank I'd already bought for the SW setup. Of course every time I went into the store to get the second tank, they were out of stock. I finally talked to the manager. Her scanner was showing that they had 2 in stock. She checked the storage area. Nope. None. She had to take those out of the inventory so that they would be sent more. I guess it's a good thing that I was hot, grumpy and aggravated enough that day to ask to speak to the manager (I was nice when I talked to her!). Who knows how long I would have been waiting for them to get a new shipment otherwise. One more item will get marked off the shopping list tonight! :19:

Slaphppy7
05-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Good deal with the tank!

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 06:48 PM
I was starting to panic about that. The tanks have to match! What am I going to do?! Arrgggggghh! Whew! Crisis averted. lol

Although I was seriously a bit concerned. In my little mind I'm thinking that I need to have both tanks on the stand and filled with water to make absolutely sure the stand stays level with the added weight. I didn't want to take the chance of getting one tank all set up on one end of the stand and then when I added the other tank it cause something to be unlevel or find out that I didn't leave enough room for it to fit or something aggravating like that. (Have I mentioned that I'm a worrier?)

I was hoping to get the 2nd tank on sale, like I did the 1st one, but at this point, I just want to get the tank and have that marked off my list. I do have a $5 off coupon and $20 something left on a gift card, so that will help.

gronlaura
05-27-2015, 07:31 PM
They are being set up end-to-end? If so, you will really enjoy this set-up - I love my dual 29s set up that way. Glad things are moving along.

Compass
05-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Woah there is so much going on here! How many tanks do you have now? I can't keep up! I went to the TN Aquarium a month ago and they had a really cool brackish set up and I thought of you. I took a few pictures to show you.

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Yes ma'am! End to end... wonder where I got that idea? :thumbupright: I've seen pics of your tanks and some other online pics of tanks set up like that. I always thought they looked nifty.

I may be able to get them set up as early as this weekend, depending on the weather. We have to get the antique buffet moved out before we can move the aquarium stand in. A lot depends on the saturation of the ground since we have to drive the truck down into the yard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 07:49 PM
That's awesome, Rob! I'd love to see the pics. :)

I have 5 tanks right now (6 after I purchase the new one tonight), but only 4 will be up and running when all is said and done. We'll have the 40B cichlid tank and 45g jungle tank in the living room and then two 20g tanks in the dining room - 1 brackish and 1 SW - side by side. The 10g will be kept for QT and the 29g will be sold.

Compass
05-27-2015, 07:54 PM
That's awesome, Rob! I'd love to see the pics. :)

I have 5 tanks right now (6 after I purchase the new one tonight), but only 4 will be up and running when all is said and done. We'll have the 40B cichlid tank and 45g jungle tank in the living room and then two 20g tanks in the dining room - 1 brackish and 1 SW - side by side. The 10g will be kept for QT and the 29g will be sold.

Holy %$#@$ hahaha That is really cool. Glad it is all coming together for you.

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Thank you. I'm glad to see you back on the forum!

gronlaura
05-27-2015, 08:13 PM
SMB, you have a very cool selection of tanks. Can't wait for pics/videos when they are all set up.

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Thank you, Laura. Speaking of pics and videos... hasn't it been a while since you've posted some of those for your tanks? *hint hint* :ssmile:

gronlaura
05-27-2015, 08:40 PM
It has been a while. I will do a video of the dual 29s at feeding time. Both the diamonds and harleys are voracious eaters.

Slaphppy7
05-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Cool!...I'll be looking for it!

Boundava
05-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Wow this thread went racing along. Glad you got the tanks set up and resolved, you are funny with your worries, but better to think about it than have some nasty surprise later.

Didn't know you had so many tanks, or that Laura was where you got your idea for the side by side tanks. I knew you had the jungle-but not the cichlid tank.

Slaphppy7
05-27-2015, 08:49 PM
I want a margarita...happens every time I read "salty setup"

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 08:54 PM
My brackish tank is my pride and joy right now. I am looking forward to getting it set up in a new, non scratched tank, rescaping and adding plants to the mix. Updates on my brackish tank will appear in this thread once I get it set up beside the SW tank. :)

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Matt - I had the most delicious 28 oz. strawberry margarita on Sunday night! So good.

Slaphppy7
05-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Nice!...that was a big 'un!

showmebutterfly
05-27-2015, 10:18 PM
I guess I jinxed myself. I got to the store and the tank they'd put back for me was the wrong one. They'd put back a 20 long tank and I want the 20 high kit. The manager offered to sell me another, more expensive, tank at the same price as the one I wanted. I declined since they have another truck coming in on Friday. They're supposed to call me to let me know if the tank I want came in on that truck or not. If not, I still have the option of getting the other tank at the lower price. Kind of bummed about having to wait, but it's only a couple days so I'll wait it out and keep my fingers crossed.

Slaphppy7
05-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Sounds like my luck...remember, they have to match...right?

showmebutterfly
05-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Right! So aggravating.

showmebutterfly
05-29-2015, 03:41 PM
The pet store manager just called. The tank I want did not come in today. :scry: I am opting to not go with the more expensive kit (even though they'd sell it to me at a very discounted price) because it has LED lights and I'd prefer a hood with fluorescent lighting so I can change out the bulb(s) to whichever ones I want to use. The manager said the tank I want may come in on the next truck next Wednesday. I'm back to waiting, but glad that they are being helpful with calling and keeping me updated.

The hubs took the antique buffet to his sister's house yesterday morning before it started raining again. I was torn between being appreciative of him getting that marked off our to-do list and aggravated that he didn't wait until I could help him. Luckily he didn't hurt himself moving that big, heavy, bulky thing by himself. Appreciation won the day, but he did get a bit of a lecture. (blush)

The weather is supposed to be nice Sunday - Tuesday. I'm hoping we can get the stand moved into the house on one of those days. We'll still need to attach the hinges, doors and knobs to finish up the stand. I plan to work on marking a few more items off my shopping list for this build over the weekend. If my tank comes in on Wednesday, then I can get moving on setting up the tanks on Thursday (the hubs and I will both be off work). If the tank doesn't come in on Wednesday I will be sad and aggravated, but will probably plan a weekend road trip to a store that has one in stock. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news from the pet store on Wednesday!

Boundava
05-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Oh, sorry to hear about the tank delay, hope they get it in by next week so you can get the tanks set up. If not you have a road trip planned, which can be fun too. I hope the weather holds out for you guys too so the stand can go inside this weekend. I will keep :fingerscrossed: that the tank comes in for you

showmebutterfly
05-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Thank you, Boundava. I am keeping my fingers crossed too. But if I have to go the road trip route, there is one of the stores close to where my mom lives. It shows they have one there when I looked online. I'd call to make sure before making the 4+ hour drive, but it'd be nice to get to visit and hang out with her. That would be a definite bonus.

gronlaura
05-29-2015, 05:28 PM
I don't understand why your LFS hasn't gotten your tank - did they order it for you or is it a stock item? A 20H should be a stock item, I would think.

showmebutterfly
05-29-2015, 05:36 PM
It's a stock item, Laura. One that can't be ordered online. At first their scanner was showing they had 2 tanks so they weren't getting sent any more for restock. The manager fixed that in the computer and now we're waiting for the company to ship the new stock of those tanks. Unfortunately there's no way to figure out which truck they'll come on. The manager has posted notes that the trucks are to be checked for that item and to pull it and put in pick up area and then call me. I feel like the manager is doing her best to be helpful. But it's still aggravating.

gronlaura
05-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Hopefully it will make an appearance on Wednesday for sure!!!

showmebutterfly
05-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Hopefully!

Cliff
05-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Hopefully you will get your tank soon

showmebutterfly
05-30-2015, 02:14 AM
Thank you, Cliff. It's good to see you back online. :)

showmebutterfly
06-01-2015, 03:03 PM
The pet store manager called and my tank came in on the truck last night! She said at first that she'd put it in the pick up area and then said that, no, she's going to lock it in the office with a note to make sure that no one else snags it before I can get there after work. :shappy:

Compass
06-01-2015, 05:32 PM
The pet store manager called and my tank came in on the truck last night! She said at first that she'd put it in the pick up area and then said that, no, she's going to lock it in the office with a note to make sure that no one else snags it before I can get there after work. :shappy:

Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

showmebutterfly
06-01-2015, 05:59 PM
I hope to start setting it up on Thursday! I'm excited and so glad I don't have to wait until Wednesday to find out if it was going to be in or not!

Slaphppy7
06-01-2015, 06:15 PM
That's good news, glad for you...nice of them to lock it up!

darkmerlin21
06-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Good to hear the tank is finally at the store! I bet you are just itching with excitement to start working on it!

showmebutterfly
06-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Thank you and thank you! I'm leaving work a couple hours early today so I can go pick up the tank and run some other errands. :)

Boundava
06-01-2015, 07:31 PM

:19:Yay, glad she locked it up and you won't have to make the road trip now. That's great you can follow your plans for the week.

showmebutterfly
06-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Me too! I know what I'll want to be doing on my days off. :)

Slaphppy7
06-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Hey, it's been about a year since you joined the AC...are all of these tanks new since then?...did you have tanks going already?

Sorry, too lazy to go look it up...but I must say...in one year, you've gained alot of tanks and fish!

Slaphppy7
06-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Hey, it's been about a year since you joined the AC...are all of these tanks new since then?...did you have tanks going already?

Sorry, too lazy to go look it up...but I must say...in one year, you've gained alot of tanks and fish!

showmebutterfly
06-01-2015, 11:17 PM

I started out with just a 10 gallon aquarium in May 2014. And I was happy with it. Really happy with it. And then I joined this forum. *sigh*

The stand for the 40B came next - a beautiful oak stand I saw on Craigslist. I got that in mid-June. By the end of June I'd bought the 40B tank to go on top of it. In early July I got the 29g and a metal stand ($10 for both off Craigslist) and started my first journal on this forum that same day. We got the 45g tank and stand from my dad around early/mid September. I got the 1st 20g tank in early March, the 2nd 20g today (hooray!) and the stand for both of them in early April. And that's it. Finished. Done. Over. For now. *sigh*

showmebutterfly
06-01-2015, 11:24 PM
As mentioned above, I bought the 2nd 20g tank today. It's still in the box and it will stay there for a day or two. I did open the box to make sure there were no visible cracks or anything like that. The stand is now in the house too. We don't plan on doing any work on it tonight - may try to get the hinges and knobs attached tomorrow. I want to get some pictures hung on the wall above where the tanks will sit before I put the tanks in place. So there's the happy update! Now I've got to go fix supper...

gronlaura
06-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Glad you finally got the 2nd tank. Photos as you set them up are required :19:

showmebutterfly
06-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Thank you. I'll do my best about posting pics. :)
I may have a picture of a rock to share later. Exciting, no? A guy here in town is tearing down one of his SW tanks and selling off some of the live rock. I'm hoping to buy a nice 4-5 lb. piece. It's crazy the things I get excited about since I got back into fishkeeping. Rocks! Go figure. lol

gronlaura
06-02-2015, 09:41 PM
I think rocks for your tank are very exciting. I have a friend who goes with me to the LFS. She is an animal & horse person and understands my fascination with fish. She is a true friend.

showmebutterfly
06-02-2015, 09:44 PM
This is why I love this forum. It's good to be understood! :)

keithw283
06-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Can't wait to see pictures as you set it up

showmebutterfly
06-03-2015, 01:44 AM
I bought 3 lbs of live rock tonight. :ssmile: The guy had a huge sump room. He called it his fish room, but the tanks were all filled with either live rock or equipment with pvc pipe running from one tank to the next and then into the room with the display tank. Their was a huge clam in the display tank that was the size of a football. It was filter feeding and so neat to watch. He also had a really cute dog - half Boston terrier and half rat terrier. She was a sweetie.
But back to the rocks... the guy I bought them from said he'd been running the tank for over a year. There wasn't any coralline algae on any of the sump rocks because he didn't have a light on that tank. That was kind of a bummer, but I liked the rocks anyway. I got them home and they fit in my little 2.5g tank. I mixed up 2g of SW, added it to the little tank with the rocks and my hydor koralia 240gph circulation pump. I didn't add a heater because there wasn't room and the water should stay warm enough with the house temperature. The rocks look pretty clean, but hopefully there's something there to act as my ammonia source when I put them in the 20g. We'll see. Meanwhile, here's some pics:

cm12setx
06-03-2015, 01:56 AM
The best words are sweet rocks!

Cliff
06-03-2015, 01:56 PM
LOL, I know what you mean about the rocks

You can add just a drop (no more) of pur ammonia every 3 to 4 days to ensure the BB on there is still alive. Test your water first tho as you could have had some die off of BB or other things that need minimal light to grow, like sponges.

showmebutterfly
06-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Thank you, Cliff. I hope to have them in the 20g in the next 3-4 days so the dosing ammonia at that time will work out well.

I have noticed that the smaller piece is covered with little white flecks of something. I didn't know if this was something to be concerned about or not? The larger piece does not have any of these flecks on it that I could see.

Cliff
06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Keep an eye on that to see if there are any changes

That doesn't look like anything nasty to me

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Keep an eye on that to see if there are any changes

That doesn't look like anything nasty to me
Thank you, Cliff!

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Before:

After:

I have the foam boards cut (edges covered in black duct tape) and tanks in place. I haven't put the poster board on the back of the new tank yet as I plan to fill it with water and let it sit to check for leaks. I still have to make sure the stand is centered how I want it under the pictures that I hung yesterday (OCD!) and level the stand (it's surprisingly almost level already), but once that's done I can fill the new tank with water and maybe play around with placing rocks in the 1st tank.

Slaphppy7
06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Stand looks great, you guys did a fantastic job with it thumbs2:

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Thank you, Matt. We're pleased with how it turned out. :)

Compass
06-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Yeah that stand is awesome. I looks very nautical to me and perfect for a fish tank.

RiversGirl
06-04-2015, 03:58 PM
WOW. Y'all have done a great job with this stand! Congrats on its completion.

darkmerlin21
06-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Agree with what everyone else said.. stand looks amazing! I wish I had the abilities required to make something that beautiful!

Boundava
06-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I agree, stand looks great, love how you raised it, and adore the hinges. :19: The 2 tanks fit perfectly on top!

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Yeah that stand is awesome. I looks very nautical to me and perfect for a fish tank.
Thank you!

WOW. Y'all have done a great job with this stand! Congrats on its completion.
Thank you!

Agree with what everyone else said.. stand looks amazing! I wish I had the abilities required to make something that beautiful!
Thank you!

I agree, stand looks great, love how you raised it, and adore the hinges. :19: The 2 tanks fit perfectly on top!
Thank you!

I'm not excited about having the stand done and finally being able to really get started on this build at all. lol

Cliff
06-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Great looking stand

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Great looking stand

Thank you!

darkmerlin21
06-04-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm not excited about having the stand done and finally being able to really get started on this build at all. lol

And, why should you be? Lol!!

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 05:10 PM
And, why should you be? Lol!!

I know, right?! I've got both tanks filled with water and I'm very happy that the stand was relatively easy to get level. I only needed one shim - that's practically a miracle with our old house! But that's all for today. Housecleaning is on the agenda now. :scry:

Proper set up of the tanks will commence on Saturday! I'm both looking forward to and dreading transferring the brackish setup to its new tank.

darkmerlin21
06-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Good deal! Just think of how awesome it will look when all is said and done. I love Laura's dual setup and I'm sure yours will be just as gorgeous!

gronlaura
06-04-2015, 08:55 PM
What a cool and unique stand - great job! I can't wait to see your "Dual 20s" all set up!

showmebutterfly
06-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Good deal! Just think of how awesome it will look when all is said and done. I love Laura's dual setup and I'm sure yours will be just as gorgeous!
I'm hoping mine will look as nice as Laura's setup. I got the idea for the side by side tanks from her and then saw another set up with 2 tanks on one stand on Google.

What a cool and unique stand - great job! I can't wait to see your "Dual 20s" all set up!
Thank you, Laura! And thank you for providing inspiration. [emoji2]

showmebutterfly
06-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I looked around last night and realized that I currently have 7 tanks going - 40B cichlid tank, 45g jungle tank, 29g brackish tank, 10g plant tank, 2.5g live rock tank and two 20g filled with water (and a plastic tub filled with dead/dry rock, plus another plastic tub that's partially filled with sand). I thought the hubs would be stressed about everything I have going on, but I think I'm the one that's stressed out. But then again, he's the one who's laid back and I'm more high strung.

I really hope that by the end of the weekend I'll have the 29g brackish tank and 10g plant tank torn down with the contents of those moved to one of the 20g tanks and have the 2.5g with the live rock, the plastic tub with the dead/dry rock and the plastic tub with the sand all squared away in the other 20g tank. Not to mention getting the bottom of the new stand organized with all the supplies for the salty setups so that they have a home and aren't just scattered here and there!

It makes me tired just thinking about the process of getting it all accomplished, but I'll be so happy when it's done and I can just sit back and enjoy my established tanks and start cycling the SW tank. It will all be worth it then. Right?

Slaphppy7
06-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Certainly it will be well worth it!

SueD
06-05-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm hoping mine will look as nice as Laura's setup. I got the idea for the side by side tanks from her and then saw another set up with 2 tanks on one stand on Google.

Thank you, Laura! And thank you for providing inspiration. [emoji2]

Uh oh. Talk about inspiration. Seeing this, I just realized that the stand on which I have my 25g, now has room for a 2nd 25g tank since I pulled down the 10g guppy tank that was sitting on it. The 25g has been more or less centered on the stand and the 10g was on one side, end out instead of front side out. So with that tank gone and the 25g in the middle, I hadn't really thought that if I move the 25 a little more to the right, another 25g would fit perfectly beside it. It's a stand meant for a 75g tank. Oh, this is not good. I have 7 tanks currently.

Compass
06-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Totally worth!!!

Slaphppy7
06-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Uh oh. Talk about inspiration. Seeing this, I just realized that the stand on which I have my 25g, now has room for a 2nd 25g tank since I pulled down the 10g guppy tank that was sitting on it. The 25g has been more or less centered on the stand and the 10g was on one side, end out instead of front side out. So with that tank gone and the 25g in the middle, I hadn't really thought that if I move the 25 a little more to the right, another 25g would fit perfectly beside it. It's a stand meant for a 75g tank. Oh, this is not good. I have 7 tanks currently.

What are you going to stock the new 25G with?? :18:

showmebutterfly
06-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Go for it! [emoji2]

gronlaura
06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Yes, go for it! We'll need a new forum for "Dual Tanks"!!!

SueD
06-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Go for it! [emoji2]

It's just a passing thought right now. I have to convince myself I can take care of another tank. Then, decide if there's some stocking I want that I don't have now.

darkmerlin21
06-05-2015, 09:11 PM

No, no, no. Hubby will have a fit! Lol. Trying to explain why I need a dual setup to "fit in" will surely fall on deaf ears. You guys are bad influences!

gronlaura
06-05-2015, 09:12 PM
No, no, no. Hubby will have a fit! Lol. Trying to explain why I need a dual setup to "fit in" will surely fall on deaf ears. You guys are bad influences!

Uh huh, we sure are!!!

cm12setx
06-05-2015, 10:59 PM

Go for it! [emoji2]

The preceding encouragement was brought to you by Enablers-R-Us.
GO FOR IT YOUALL darn can't write proper Texan here.

@SMB, the stand looks great!

Slaphppy7
06-05-2015, 11:20 PM
You guys are bad influences!

At least we are influences of some sort...:14:

showmebutterfly
06-06-2015, 06:29 PM
The new 20g brackish tank is up and running! I still need to add the 2nd AC30 filter and make adjustments to the hood. The hubs is going to cut the openings for the filters for me with his handy dandy dremel tool after he gets off work today. I have microswords planted across the front, crypts (undulata) planted on the left and a few anubias tucked here and there in the large artificial rock piece on the right. One of the anubias is trying to bloom! I'm pretty excited about that and hoping the transfer won't prevent the bloom from opening.

First pic of the new tank - it's murky as all get out and there's lots of glare, but the fish are checking out their new digs. I really, really hope that the fish and the plants will thrive in their new home!

Slaphppy7
06-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Looks great, even while it's a little murky!....this will be a really neat little tank...plants will make all the difference in the world

showmebutterfly
06-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Looks great, even while it's a little murky!....this will be a really neat little tank...plants will make all the difference in the world
Thank you, Matt! I already like it so much better with the plants added. I also added a new piece of artificial DW. It's partially hidden by plants and the ship's wheel, but think it helps balance out the tank.

I've got the 2nd filter added (and remembered to put a tiny smear of vaseline on the impeller shafts of both filters). All that's left to do is cut openings in the hood for them. Oh and clean up the 10g and 29g. Ugh.

I'll be working on the SW tank tonight and tomorrow. [emoji2]

cm12setx
06-06-2015, 08:31 PM
You captured the essance of texas brakish water perfectly. Our marsh looks like that. Just kidding . I like it.

showmebutterfly
06-06-2015, 08:33 PM
You captured the essance of texas brakish water perfectly. Our marsh looks like that. Just kidding . I like it.
Thank you, Chris!

Slaphppy7
06-06-2015, 09:04 PM
We WISH our marshes looked like that, lol.

RiversGirl
06-06-2015, 09:37 PM
lookin' good, SMB -- it must feel great to get this all transferred in! Congrats for all that. Do take a moment to pat yourself on the back too, please.

I'm looking forward to seeing those plants fill in!

showmebutterfly
06-06-2015, 09:50 PM
lookin' good, SMB -- it must feel great to get this all transferred in! Congrats for all that. Do take a moment to pat yourself on the back too, please.

I'm looking forward to seeing those plants fill in!
Thank you, RG! I am pretty proud of how it turned out. If I can get the SW tank looking half that good (half is the best I can hope for since I won't have anything but rocks to start with! lol) I'll be a happy camper. Right now I'm just a pooped camper! At least the 10g and 29g are torn down and cleaned now. I have hopes of getting the sand rinsed tonight but my aching back may have other plans. [emoji6]

RiversGirl
06-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Yeah, you've got to stretch and take care of that back!

showmebutterfly
06-06-2015, 11:01 PM
I took 3 advil and a tall glass of ice water. Got the sand rinsed. Water hose made quick work of it. Now I can mark that off my to do list and relax for the rest of the evening. After I cook supper, that is. :)

Cliff
06-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Sounds like some good progress even with a soar back. I know how difficult working on stuff with a soar back can be :-(

showmebutterfly
06-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Sounds like some good progress even with a soar back. I know how difficult working on stuff with a soar back can be :-(

I'm happy to have the new brackish tank finally set up. Now to get the SW tank going! I'm struggling a bit with rock placement, but I'll get it figured out eventually. :ssmile:

Slaphppy7
06-07-2015, 01:25 AM
I know how difficult working on stuff with a soar back can be :-(

I hear you loud and clear.

I've had lower back problems for years now...you just take it a step at a time

Ice packs are your friend, lol

Cliff
06-07-2015, 01:30 AM
I'm happy to have the new brackish tank finally set up. Now to get the SW tank going! I'm struggling a bit with rock placement, but I'll get it figured out eventually. :ssmile:

LOL, after 4 years I'm still moving/adding/removing rocks in my 180 after 4 years.

But seriously, you sometimes just have to try a few placements to find what you like

darkmerlin21
06-07-2015, 01:31 AM
The tank looks really good.. I'm glad you got it all transferred with no problems. Sounds like you've had a very full day though.. time to relax!

showmebutterfly
06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
LOL, after 4 years I'm still moving/adding/removing rocks in my 180 after 4 years.

But seriously, you sometimes just have to try a few placements to find what you like

I asked the hubs to help me with rock placement. Apparently I wasn't following his suggestions / directions or fiddling around too much because he got up and starting arranging the rocks himself. Which I was totally ok with. He got to find out a little bit about how the rocks don't always want to cooperate when you want them to face or be placed a certain way, but won't sit very solidly in that position. Between the 2 of us we managed to figure out placement for all the rocks (and one dried barnacle that he really likes) in a configuration that we were both happy with. I wanted him to be involved with this setup and am glad he jumped in and took a more hands on approach. An added bonus is that I won't be as tempted to fiddle with moving stuff around because he did help and I don't want to undermine how much it meant to me for him to that. :l19:

The tank looks really good.. I'm glad you got it all transferred with no problems. Sounds like you've had a very full day though.. time to relax!

Thank you, DM! It was a long and full day. The smart thing to do would have been for me to relax and to let the hubs relax after he got home from work. So, of course, that's not what I did. lol

The hubs cut out the openings I needed for the 2 filters in the hood for the brackish tank with his dremel (I am both impressed and frightened by that little cutting tool - I don't have very steady hands and can imagine the mess I'd make with it!) while supper was cooking. After eating supper and watching a movie I asked if he'd help me with the rock placement in the SW tank. We got the rocks put in, tank filled up with SW, powerheads and heater going before calling it a day.

Today is going to be another long, busy day, but I can rest when I go back to work tomorrow. lol

showmebutterfly
06-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Side by side

20g SW tank

20g brackish tank

Side by side in the dark

Cliff
06-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I really like the look of the two different set-ups right next to each other on the same stand

good job !!!

showmebutterfly
06-07-2015, 02:43 PM
I really like the look of the two different set-ups right next to each other on the same stand

good job !!!

Thank you, Cliff!

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 01:06 PM
I had a couple pics to post last night, but my laptop was acting up and did not want to open web pages. :sconfused: Hopefully I'll be able to post them tonight.

I got 3 nerite snails for the brackish tank yesterday. I've been wanting some for a while and the pet store where I'd stopped to pick up another bottle of prazi-pro had several of them. I wanted to wait until the new tank was set up before I got any nerites, so when I saw them at the store I figured that was a 'meant to be' moment. There's plenty of algae on the 2 artificial pieces that I moved over from the old tank so they should have plenty to graze on for a while.

I got out my new Seachem test kits and refractometer yesterday to run tests on the SW tank. There was only trace amounts of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates detected. I added a drop (or three (blush) ) of ammonia to the tank to get the cycle going. I'll test again this evening.

I somehow managed to get the salinity way too low when I mixed up the saltwater to fill the tank. The directions said 1/2 cup of the salt per gallon of water would result in 1.023 salinity. I mixed up 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. per gallon since I was trying to shoot for 1.025-1.026. What I ended up with was 1.018. *sigh* I've been taking out water and adding it back in with more salt mixed in. As of this morning the salinity is up to 1.021. I added more dissolved salt in before I left for work and will check it again this evening. I have the AC70 filter and 2 powerheads running to keep it all circulating.

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the update...hey, don't nerites need brackish to successfully breed?...maybe you'll be the first one here (that I know of) to have nerite babies crawling all over the tank thumbs2:

SueD
06-08-2015, 01:20 PM
Nerite snails can breed in brackish water, so that would be neat to see if you had some of that going on. You'd have to then move the larvae that hatch into your salt water tank until they developed shells from what I've read.

Ninja'd by Slap

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Ugh. I don't want snail babies! Although my thought process is to have a few nerite snails in both the brackish and the SW tank. I have a couple of similar rocks in both tanks and a bit of broken shells scattered across the bottom of both. I wanted there to be a few (hopefully) subtle similarities to tie the 2 tanks together.

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I think it would be neat!...though probably unlikely

You could sell them if they made it to semi-adulthood, and make money for another tank!

darkmerlin21
06-08-2015, 03:19 PM
It would be kind of neat but I understand why snails reproducing is not high on your list of wants. The reason I chose nerites is because I know they don't breed in freshwater. The mysteries are nice but didn't want to chance me missing a clutch of eggs!

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 03:23 PM
A mystery snail clutch would be hard to miss, unless you never lift the lid of your tank.

They also need a nice gap of air between the lid and the surface of the water to even lay a clutch...that's how we got them in the 10G, when that plastic concave hood was on it.

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 03:25 PM
I think it would be neat!...though probably unlikely

You could sell them if they made it to semi-adulthood, and make money for another tank!

It would be nice to have the money or store credit, but no more tanks. After spending the weekend tearing down and setting up tanks I am feeling sore, tired and old. I think I'll be doing good to keep up with the 4 tanks I have now! :oldtimer:

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 03:26 PM
It would be kind of neat but I understand why snails reproducing is not high on your list of wants. The reason I chose nerites is because I know they don't breed in freshwater. The mysteries are nice but didn't want to chance me missing a clutch of eggs!

If they do breed my hope is that the brackish fish enjoy tiny escargot snacks. That would make for simple population control.

darkmerlin21
06-08-2015, 03:27 PM
A mystery snail clutch would be hard to miss, unless you never lift the lid of your tank.

They also need a nice gap of air between the lid and the surface of the water to even lay a clutch...that's how we got them in the 10G, when that plastic concave hood was on it.

Ok, this is good to know. They would definitely not be able to lay a clutch in my son's tank as the water sits very close to the glass top. I have to watch that I leave a bit of an air pocket in that tank for the frogs. I don't have snails in the 29g so I may think about adding a mystery at some point. The good news is that neither one of my nerites leave eggs anywhere. I was afraid of they would and was hesitant to add them because of it.

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 03:35 PM
It would be nice to have the money or store credit, but no more tanks. After spending the weekend tearing down and setting up tanks I am feeling sore, tired and old. I think I'll be doing good to keep up with the 4 tanks I have now! :oldtimer:

LOL, I kind of expected this response after your weekend

If they do breed my hope is that the brackish fish enjoy tiny escargot snacks. That would make for simple population control.

You'd need puffers or certain types of loaches

Ok, this is good to know. They would definitely not be able to lay a clutch in my son's tank as the water sits very close to the glass top. I have to watch that I leave a bit of an air pocket in that tank for the frogs. I don't have snails in the 29g so I may think about adding a mystery at some point. The good news is that neither one of my nerites leave eggs anywhere. I was afraid of they would and was hesitant to add them because of it.

Get a mystery, they're neat and fun to keep, and get pretty big, too

I've avoided nerites because of the eggs, you're lucky in that regard

darkmerlin21
06-08-2015, 03:50 PM

The only place in town that sells mysteries is Petsmart. And they don't have the cool colors like what you have. If I ever found a purple one, I would be all over it!
The reason I felt comfortable about buying the nerites was that when I spoke to the fish manager, he told me he's never seen them leave eggs in the tank in-store. Sterile nerites maybe? Lol.

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Hmm...maybe all male nerites?

You know, I keep forgetting to mention, but out of the 8 or 9 mysteries I ordered from Aquabid, only 4 have made it to this point...no whites or blues survived

What's really strange is that we never found their shells, either...they WERE pretty small, but still...

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 03:57 PM
LOL, I kind of expected this response after your weekend

You'd need puffers or certain types of loaches

My only future plans may be to possibly turn the 40B into a brackish or SW tank once my cichlids have lived out their lives. And either keep the two 20g or move up to a 75g tank for either SW or brackish. But that would be 4-5 years down the road and definitely on the back burner as long as the cichlids are alive and well.

darkmerlin21
06-08-2015, 03:59 PM
How do you tell the sex of a snail anyway.. lol. Flip up its shell and see what's under there?
Sorry to hear about the mysteries.. especially the blue ones as I know Lauren really wanted those. Weird about the shells too!

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 04:00 PM

You know, I keep forgetting to mention, but out of the 8 or 9 mysteries I ordered from Aquabid, only 4 have made it to this point...no whites or blues survived

What's really strange is that we never found their shells, either...they WERE pretty small, but still...
Or they only breed in brackish and never in FW?

Sorry to hear that you lost some of your mystery snails. Very weird that you never found the shells. I'd say it's a mystery, but well...

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
The thing is, female nerites will lay eggs regardless, no matter what water they are in..if it's FW, they just never develop or hatch

Here's a good article on sexing mystery snails: http://applesnail.net/content/anatomy/reproduction.php

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 04:15 PM
The thing is, female nerites will lay eggs regardless, no matter what water they are in..if it's FW, they just never develop or hatch

Here's a good article on sexing mystery snails: http://applesnail.net/content/anatomy/reproduction.php
I think I may be traumatized now. Snail porn. I've got to go wash my eyes. lol

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 04:24 PM
:hmm3grin2orange:

Cliff
06-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I somehow managed to get the salinity way too low when I mixed up the saltwater to fill the tank. The directions said 1/2 cup of the salt per gallon of water would result in 1.023 salinity. I mixed up 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. per gallon since I was trying to shoot for 1.025-1.026. What I ended up with was 1.018. *sigh* I've been taking out water and adding it back in with more salt mixed in. As of this morning the salinity is up to 1.021. I added more dissolved salt in before I left for work and will check it again this evening. I have the AC70 filter and 2 powerheads running to keep it all circulating.

That is why I never follow the directions on any container of salt. I have tried many different brands as well without any luck getting the salinity correct. That is why I always use my refactormeter now to mix new saltwater.

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 05:11 PM
That is why I never follow the directions on any container of salt. I have tried many different brands as well without any luck getting the salinity correct. That is why I always use my refactormeter now to mix new saltwater.
I will certainly use my refractometer when mixing from now on. Lesson learned!

It looks like I'll be cycling the tank with ammonia since the live rock I got was too clean to have much die off.

I'm not too sure I like the Seachem ammonia test. Does the Salifert ammonia test use a sensor dot that changes color or does just the water change colors with that brand?

Cliff
06-08-2015, 05:33 PM
The water changes color on the Salifert ammonia test. Same approach / method as the API test kits

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 05:34 PM
The water changes color on the Salifert ammonia test.
I'll be switching to that one as soon as I can then. Thanks for the info.

RiversGirl
06-08-2015, 07:17 PM

The only place in town that sells mysteries is Petsmart. And they don't have the cool colors like what you have. If I ever found a purple one, I would be all over it!
The reason I felt comfortable about buying the nerites was that when I spoke to the fish manager, he told me he's never seen them leave eggs in the tank in-store. Sterile nerites maybe? Lol.

Good to know regarding nerites. I've also not wanted them due to egg laying all over my driftwood.

Matt, could your missing mysteries have escaped? Might the dogs eat them...?

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Matt, could your missing mysteries have escaped? Might the dogs eat them...?

You know, you helped me remember something...I DID find a shell in the AC30, as a matter of fact...he had to have crawled in through the waterfall, no way he could get sucked up by the intake with the mesh prefilter....but never found any other shells, although it is a distinct possibility that they could have escaped, and the dogs got them, went far up under some furniture, or something else...I'll have a good look around her room

RiversGirl
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
You know, you helped me remember something...I DID find a shell in the AC30, as a matter of fact...he had to have crawled in through the waterfall, no way he could get sucked up by the intake with the mesh prefilter....but never found any other shells, although it is a distinct possibility that they could have escaped, and the dogs got them, went far up under some furniture, or something else...I'll have a good look around her room

If they hid out in her room, she surely would have smelled them. My bet is on the dogs.

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah, you would think she would have smelled them...I doubt Ginny would show them any interest, but no telling with Toby...he brought me a dead grass snake this weekend, lol

RiversGirl
06-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Yeah, you would think she would have smelled them...I doubt Ginny would show them any interest, but no telling with Toby...he brought me a dead grass snake this weekend, lol

Just showing you his appreciation, dontchaknow! Don't ya just adore those 'love presents' from your pets...?

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Oh yeah, and Mrs. Slap loves them even more...usually, it's mice with the cats...or birds...squirrels

RiversGirl
06-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, and Mrs. Slap loves them even more...usually, it's mice with the cats...or birds...squirrels

at least you got a dead gift, this time...

Slaphppy7
06-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Actually, grass snakes are fun, I'd rather it had been alive, lol

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Actually, grass snakes are fun, I'd rather it had been alive, lol

Nope. :yipes:

gronlaura
06-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Tanks look super! I also like that they are totally different, a very cool look. Congrats on a very unique setup!

You could very easily make a wood canopy, using 1/2" wood, matched to your stand, that covers both tanks - just a 3 sided box, with wooden blocks that rest on the tank frames to support the canopy. Just a thought........

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Thank you, Laura! I'll think about the canopy idea, but knowing us, I think we're probably done with building stuff for a while. Although the setup would probably look even better with one!

gronlaura
06-08-2015, 10:14 PM
It's very simple - a top, a long front side and 2 ends. If you use 1/2" wood, it won't be too heavy. Just add a few wood blocks to support it off the tank frames and you're done!

showmebutterfly
06-08-2015, 11:47 PM
My laptop internet connection is functioning tonight. Hooray! Here's a couple of pics I took yesterday of the brackish tank.

One of the nerites

Red chromides

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 12:51 AM
NOW we are getting to see this tank in true form!...these pics are nice, get us more

FTS's from different angles

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 01:05 AM
NOW we are getting to see this tank in true form!...these pics are nice, get us more

FTS's from different angles
I'll try to get some after the sun goes down. [emoji2]

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Water parameters on the SW tank:
Salinity up to 1.023. Still working on getting it up to 1.025-1.026.
pH is 8.0
Ammonia at .50ppm
Nitrites below .01
Nitrates below 5

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 02:17 AM

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Very, very nice...I'm anxious to see how these plants fill in with a semi-salty environment

Your experiment here has been very fun to watch unfold...thanks for sharing it with us

Can you get us some fish pics now?...up close and personal? :14:

showmebutterfly

cm12setx
Wow c leaned up great. thumbs2: you did great with the landscape. The plants look great. Good work!

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 02:26 AM
Very, very nice...I'm anxious to see how these plants fill in with a semi-salty environment

Your experiment here has been very fun to watch unfold...thanks for sharing it with us

Can you get us some fish pics now?...up close and personal? :14:

Dang, Matt. I was trying to get them uploaded! lol

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 02:28 AM
Gadzooks, some beautiful pics here...so glad you got the uploading issue settled...that last molly shot is really neat

cm12setx
06-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Gadzooks, some beautiful pics here...so glad you got the uploading issue settled...that last molly shot is really neat

Mollys are like plattys Slap.
Love the pic of the goby.

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Wow c leaned up great. thumbs2: you did great with the landscape. The plants look great. Good work!

Thank you, Chris! I'm looking forward to just sitting back and enjoying this tank now.

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 02:36 AM

Yes, they are...highly desirable when you only have one :hmm3grin2orange:

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 02:36 AM

It's a little out of focus, but I liked how the light looked on the molly's fins.

Love the pic of the goby.

I love my gobies. Pics don't really do them justice.

I'm so glad I invested in a new camera. There's no way I'd be able to get shots like these with my phone!

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 02:41 AM
Full Disclosure*

*I had forgotten about the gobies, somehow...beautiful little fish. We need a quick vid of their behavior

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Full Disclosure*

*I had forgotten about the gobies, somehow...beautiful little fish. We need a quick vid of their behavior

Maybe tomorrow. I need to pace myself. lol

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 03:07 AM
Indeed you do, lol...great pics, and great tank...

I'm going to pace myself into bed now, and hopefully quicken the pace to sleep, lol

Goodnight, my friend, see you here tomorrow?

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 03:08 AM
Indeed you do, lol...great pics, and great tank...

I'm going to pace myself into bed now, and hopefully quicken the pace to sleep, lol

Goodnight, my friend, see you here tomorrow?
You bet. Good night, buddy.

gronlaura
06-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Great pics. The tank looks super - your aquascaping is right on the money.

darkmerlin21
06-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Tank looks wonderful! I really love that rock with all the holes in it! It's got nice height to it as well. Great job on this tank!

showmebutterfly
06-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Thank you, Laura and DM! :shappy:

Slaphppy7
06-09-2015, 11:54 PM
And the gobie vid begins in 3...2...1...

showmebutterfly
06-10-2015, 12:48 AM

After Deadliest Catch is over. Maybe. lol

showmebutterfly
06-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Sorry, Matt. I ended up going to bed early last night. I'll work on that video sooner or later. I think I forgot to feed the fish in the brackish tank too. I was going to do the video while they were eating to try to make sure I was able to get everyone out and about. Poor fish and poor Matt. Sad day. lol

Slaphppy7
06-10-2015, 01:34 PM
We'll live, no worries, lol

showmebutterfly
06-10-2015, 01:43 PM
I didn't get the water parameters checked in the SW tank last night either. I'll need to do that tonight to see if the tank's started cycling yet. On the plus side, the salinity is finally up to 1.026 as of this morning. Mission accomplished there at least.

I got a sudden case of the 'I'm so tired, I must go to bed now!' last night right before 9pm. So I went. And slept like a rock. A snoring rock, according to the hubs. lol

Slaphppy7
06-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Mrs. Slap and Lauren have been out of town since Sunday, I keep telling myself "I'm going to bed EARLY tonight"...hasn't happened yet

I've got to make a better effort tonight, working 7-4 tomorrow instead of 8-5

showmebutterfly
06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
If you're like me, it will catch up to you sooner rather than later and you won't have a choice. lol

Compass
06-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Mrs. Slap and Lauren have been out of town since Sunday, I keep telling myself "I'm going to bed EARLY tonight"...hasn't happened yet

I've got to make a better effort tonight, working 7-4 tomorrow instead of 8-5

Shoot, whole house to yourself, I'd stay up late all the time! lol

Slaphppy7
06-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Oh, every morning when the alarm clock goes off, I know it's caught up to me, lol...that's when I swear I'm going to bed early the next night

Slaphppy7
06-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Shoot, whole house to yourself, I'd stay up late all the time! lol

Well, the dogs are there, so it's not like I have the whole house to myself :14:

Compass
06-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Well, the dogs are there, so it's not like I have the whole house to myself :14:

Not like they are going to tell on you. lol Time to get in all those action movies you can't watch when the girls are around!

Slaphppy7
06-10-2015, 04:04 PM
LOL, I couldn't tell you the last full length movie I've seen....I can't sit in front of the TV long enough, always have other stuff going on...I'm easily distracted, and have the attention span of a fruit fly

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 12:55 AM
SW tank parameters:
Ammonia <1
Nitrites <.01
Nitrates <5

The largest rock I got from my dad was in the 29g brackish tank for a while, with the holes in it toward the top and the knight gobies liked hiding in the rock. After I took it out of the 29g and let it soak for a few weeks in clean circulating water, I placed it in the SW tank. I laid it so that the openings in the rock could be easily seen since I plan on getting a SW goby and hope it will enjoy playing in the rock too. I didn't realize until I turned the tank lights on that the rock formation looks like a face. To me it looks like Snitch from Lilo and Snitch. :ssuprised:

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 01:55 AM
*Stitch Lilo & Stitch I can't believe I misspelled that twice!

cm12setx
06-11-2015, 02:50 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRh5JPGuqo

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 12:26 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRh5JPGuqo
Thank you, Chris. [emoji2]

Boundava
06-11-2015, 12:44 PM
That is funny how much it does look like Stitch's head, complete with big nose.

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 01:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EL9l1PthA

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Ack!!...the vid is private :scry:

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Ack!!...the vid is private :scry:

It shouldn't be. It was uploaded under public. Maybe it wasn't done publishing when I first posted. It took forever to get it downloaded. Can you see it now?

darkmerlin21
06-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Yes, it works now! I love your gobies! Love the jerky little way they swim.. so adorable! This tank is just wonderful.

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Yes, working now....those are so...cool...

Which kind are they again?...I'm getting really interested here lately in the peacock gobies (gudgeons)

Boundava
06-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Great video, I always loved gobies. Wish I could have a brackish tank for them. Want to (eventually in a time far in the future) build a 40 gallon river tank and will add some freshwater gobies to that.

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 02:18 PM
That is funny how much it does look like Stitch's head, complete with big nose.

I kept looking at it and thinking 'That face reminds me of someone'! lol

Yes, it works now! I love your gobies! Love the jerky little way they swim.. so adorable! This tank is just wonderful.

Hooray! They aren't the most graceful swimmers, especially when they're going after food, but they are such pretty little fish and fun to watch. I love it when they perch on something and just hang out. Of course when I try to get a pic of one of them doing that, it darts off!

Yes, working now....those are so...cool...

Which kind are they again?...I'm getting really interested here lately in the peacock gobies (gudgeons)

They're knight gobies, aka fan dancer gobies. I'm glad the video is working now. :19:

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 02:22 PM
They're knight gobies, aka fan dancer gobies.

Neat...can be kept in FW, too: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/stigmatogobius-sadanundio/

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Great video, I always loved gobies. Wish I could have a brackish tank for them. Want to (eventually in a time far in the future) build a 40 gallon river tank and will add some freshwater gobies to that.

Thank you! I highly recommend having a brackish tank. They're something different, but the set up and maintenance is very similar as that of a FW build.

I'll look forward to seeing your river tank and FW gobies. Hopefully not too far in the future!

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Neat...can be kept in FW, too: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/stigmatogobius-sadanundio/

Yes, they can be kept in FW, but note what they say under the maintenance section:

"A soft, sandy substrate is ideal for this species. Also provide lots of caves, nooks and crannies where it can lurk and form territories. Although commonly found in freshwater in nature, this goby appears to do better with the addition of salt to around 1/4 marine strength (1.005sg) in the aquarium. Saying that though, this species has also been kept with great success in hard, alkaline freshwater. It will be more active and visible during daylight hours if you provide dim lighting."

Although it does go on to say that they can be kept in hard, alkaline FW too. Conflicting information. lol

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I saw that.

What do you feed them?...seems they thrive on live foods

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I saw that.

What do you feed them?...seems they thrive on live foods
I mostly feed NLS small sinking pellets, occasionally Omega One flakes and about once a week they get either bloodworms or brine shrimp. They seem to like all of it. If I were ever to get any baby mollies, I'm sure they'd be my population control team.

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 03:23 PM
I've been wanting to try the OO flakes....is there more than one kind?

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 03:54 PM
I've been wanting to try the OO flakes....is there more than one kind?
Yes there is. I have the super veggies kelp flakes and the super color color flakes. I bought them when I got my cichlids. I asked my lfs what they'd been feeding them and that's what they handed me. I added the NLS pellets and frozen foods to add more variety. Although the cichlid tank very rarely gets the frozen treats as they're herbivores and too much protein will give them bloat.
I need to get serious about researching best foods for SW fish. So far I only have OO marine mini pellets for them (nevermind that I don't even have any SW fish yet).

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks...I've heard good things about the color flakes

Hey, you and Natalia are BOTH going to hit your 3,000 post mark, in the same day!...cool

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 10:27 PM
I just sold the old 29g tank, metal stand and versa top from the old brackish tank for what I paid for the new brackish tank (that came with a hood and light fixture). I think the hubs was glad to see one tank go and I'm happy to have a little cash for more fish supplies. :)

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 10:33 PM
A win/win....cool!

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 10:52 PM
SW parameters:
Ammonia < .5
Nitrites < .01
Nitrates between 5-7.5

I'd added 3 more drops of ammonia last night, but the readings tonight are close to what they were before I added them.
Nitrites are the same and nitrates are rising a bit. I sure hope the cycle is started now.

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Do you wait until ammonia drops to 0 before adding more, like FW setups?

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 11:10 PM
I didn't / haven't gotten the ammonia up to 2ppm yet since I wasn't sure how much, if any, die off I'd have from the live rock I bought. It looks like the live rock isn't going to produce enough ammonia to help so I'll have to break down and add more ammonia. I'm just leary of adding too much. I guess I better go find my big girl panties and get over my fears.

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 11:30 PM
NOTE: Ignorance of SW setups follows....

Live rock ADDS ammonia to the tank?

So, rocks can pee?

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 11:35 PM
NOTE: Ignorance of SW setups follows....

Live rock ADDS ammonia to the tank?

So, rocks can pee?
Die off from live rock produces the ammonia. If a live rock is exposed to air, as it usually is when moved from one tank to another, there is usually some die off of bacteria and organisms that were on the rock. As far as I know, the rocks don't pee. lol

Slaphppy7
06-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I learned something today.

Exposed to air at all?

If so, if you ordered live rock through the mail, it would have to arrive submersed in water?

showmebutterfly
06-11-2015, 11:50 PM
In order for there not to be any die off I think it has to be submersed in water and have some circulation, but I'm not totally sure about that.
I was rereading Cliff's articles about cycling. With SW you maintain ammonia at 2ppm until nitrites hit 2ppm, then you maintain ammonia at 1ppm. And then you have to stop playing online and figure out supper. :(

Slaphppy7
06-12-2015, 12:02 AM
And then you have to stop playing online and figure out supper. :(

I made a nice lasagne Sunday, I think I'll warm a bit of that

showmebutterfly
06-12-2015, 01:55 AM
I made a nice lasagne Sunday, I think I'll warm a bit of that
That sounds good. We decided to go out to eat.

Back to the SW cycle. You dose ammonia to 1ppm once every 24 hours once your nitrites reach 2ppm. When your ammonia and nitrites both reach zero and your nitrates are climbing you are done with the cycle.
So find of similar to FW cycling but a little different too.

Slaphppy7
06-12-2015, 02:33 AM
I've seen local ads for "live rock", sold by the pound

Could buying it this way contaminate a new set-up in any way?

showmebutterfly
06-12-2015, 02:47 AM
Buying / getting it from any source could contaminate a new set up. There are often hitchhikers on live rock. Some good, some bad.
Cliff recommends curing / keeping any new live rock in a separate container of saltwater with a heater and good circulation for a period before adding it to your tank.
If my laptop wasn't acting up again I could post a link here, but I'm on my phone. Cliff has a lot of good articles stickied in the SW beginners section. :)

showmebutterfly
06-13-2015, 03:26 AM
Group pic of the nerites and the anubias almost in bloom:

Anubias bloom:

SueD
06-13-2015, 03:43 AM
Very nice. If all goes well, here's what you can look forward to having from that anubias. The one in the picture below started out as one small plant attached to that small piece of driftwood you can see. I finally broke it apart into two pieces a while ago. The larger piece is just sort of sitting in my 40b attached to nothing at the moment.

showmebutterfly
06-13-2015, 03:54 AM
Very nice. If all goes well, here's what you can look forward to having from that anubias. The one in the picture below started out as one small plant attached to that small piece of driftwood you can see. I finally broke it apart into two pieces a while ago. The larger piece is just sort of sitting in my 40b attached to nothing at the moment.
That's a nice big anubias!

The 3 that I have in the brackish tank are cuttings from plants in my cichlid tank. [emoji2]

showmebutterfly
06-14-2015, 05:00 PM
It's looking like I might end up not having any microswords survive in the brackish tank. Apparently microsword roots are a delicacy for one or more of the fish in there. I keep finding random microsword shoots floating around the tank with the root system completely nibbled away. I still have a few shoots that are still planted. I'm hoping the fish will leave them alone long enough for stronger root systems to be established and that the microswords will eventually spread across the bottom of this tank. It's not looking promising at the moment though. At least the cyrpts and anubias are doing well.

Slaphppy7
06-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Oh well...you never know until you try...

showmebutterfly
06-14-2015, 05:29 PM
It seems that there might be some good BB that survived on the live rocks that I bought for the SW tank. When I checked the water parameters last night the ammonia had dropped from 2ppm to 1ppm and the nitrites have climbed from < .01 to .25. I dosed the ammonia back up to 2ppm and will recheck the ammonia and nitrite levels this evening.

Today I've been messing around with the placement of the powerheads. I ended up with some floaty particles (technical term, y'all!) from moving them around, which was good because it helped me see how the new flow was working out. From my observations it appears that I did pretty good - the floaty particles are staying floaty until they get sucked up by the intake tube on the HOB refugium (modified AC70 filter). I didn't notice any settling on the substrate or getting trapped in the rocks. I did see some travel thru the little cave that the hubs constructed with some of the rocks and that was pretty cool to watch.

Just for funnsies - here's some pics of rocks and water!

View of the tank, looking downward:

End view of the tank:

Cave / tunnel with our tank mascot acting as guardian / greeter:

showmebutterfly
06-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Oh well...you never know until you try...

They were doing fine with the salinity. I didn't even think to worry about them becoming fish snacks. lol

Slaphppy7
06-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Well, now you know....maybe try feeding them a veggie or two?...can't hurt

showmebutterfly
06-14-2015, 05:56 PM
I've got zucchini that I'll be slicing up for them and the 2 FW tanks tonight. :)

Cliff
06-15-2015, 01:35 AM
As you have some live rock in there, I would suggest using less ammonia. I suggest trying 1ppm or a little less

showmebutterfly
06-15-2015, 02:47 AM
As you have some live rock in there, I would suggest using less ammonia. I suggest trying 1ppm or a little less
Of course I read this right after I'd redosed ammonia. :(

Parameters were .50ppm ammonia and .25ppm nitrites.
I dosed 1ml ammonia a little over an hour ago. Just rechecked and it's at 2ppm. I'll make sure to dose less from now on!

showmebutterfly
06-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Brackish tank is now devoid of microswords and the big crypt is melting. Hoping the crypt will pull through if I leave it alone. Anubias are doing well.

SW tank is cycling right along. Sunday night tested zero ammonia and nitrites dropped from +2ppm to .25ppm.
I didn't test last night as I was having a rough day. I made it thru father's day pretty well, but started falling a little bit apart yesterday.
We're going to my family reunion this weekend and I'm both looking forward to it and dreading it. Mom's not going and I'll be dealing with well-meaning and loving relatives asking about mom and talking about dad. I'm counting on the hubs and xanax to help me out as needed.
I know I've not been keeping up with the forum as well as I'd like, but hopefully will be feeling more like participating soon. I miss my fish flakes. :)

Slaphppy7
06-23-2015, 06:31 PM
We miss you, too.

Boundava
06-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Hope you can enjoy yourself at the reunion and sorry to hear your crypts are melting. Hope its just them acclimating and you get some new growth soon. Wonder if Java fern wouldn't work if the crypt doesn't?
41503UNITE!

Cliff
06-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Hang in there !!!

gronlaura
06-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Glad you made it thru dad's day. Hopefully the reunion will be a comforting time.

showmebutterfly
06-24-2015, 01:51 AM
Thank you all. Today was a little better for me. The hubs lost his dad over 25 years ago, but never really got to grieve because he was trying to take care of everyone and everything else. Since I lost my dad and trying to deal with my grief it has brought up those emotions for him too. It's kind of like we've both been grieving the loss of our fathers together these last few months even though they died many years apart. In some ways that makes the process a little easier. In some ways it makes it feel even sadder. But we'll muddle thru together.

I did get the SW tank tested. It appears to be cycled. Zero ammonia and zero nitrites. I re-dosed a bit of ammonia and will recheck tomorrow and do the same thing Thursday. I hadn't planned on adding any live critters this soon and will probably wait another week or so before adding anything. At least I'll be using up some more of my big bottle of ammonia even if it's just a few drops at a time to keep the BB alive.

Boundava
06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
:grouphug: I hope you and your hubby stay strong. I am glad you have each other to lean on.

Slaphppy7
06-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Agreed, and congrats on the cycled tank! thumbs2:

Anders247
06-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Congrats on the cycled tank!

nickellmama27
06-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Congrats on being cycled

showmebutterfly
06-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Thank you all. I'm starting to look forward to the reunion. All 3 of my children say they'll be there so it will be great to see them as well as all the extended family. :ssmile:

gronlaura
06-25-2015, 09:12 PM
God to hear. And congrats on the cycled tank! Woo-hoo, new fish!!

Boundava
06-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Congrats on the cycled tank. Good to hear your whole family is coming in for the reunion. Its always nice to have good things to look forward to. :sunny:

showmebutterfly
07-05-2015, 08:06 PM
We had a good time at the family reunion in Sikeston, MO last weekend. We took the kids out to dinner at Lambert's Friday night.

After dinner pic with my babies - full of good food and tired, but so glad to have all of them there! :shappy:

Brackish tank - the fish, snails and plants are doing well. I did end up loosing all the microswords to the fish's bellies, but the crypts have stopped melting and look good. The anubias don't appear to have had any acclimation issues and the nerite snails are doing a fantastic job of keeping the glass (and everything else) clean.

SW tank - I've been dosing about 1ml of ammonia every other day. Ammonia is consistently zero after 24 hours. Nitrites are staying at zero. Nitrates are between 10-20 on the color chart so I'll call them being at 15.

I want to buy a small light and some chaeto for the HOB refugium before I add any livestock. The live rock I bought looks clean and I haven't seen any growths or hitchhikers. I'm debating on buying a fish or two before adding my CUC since there's really not anything for the CUC to clean at this point.

Stocking wish list:
Oscellaris clownfish
Red cardinalfish
Panamic barnacle blenny or Firefish or Clown Goby
Peppermint shrimp x?
Nerite snails x?
Margarita snails x?
Nassarius snails x?
Cerith snails x?

Slaphppy7
07-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Nice pic!....glad to hear the tanka are well...I haven't a clue on SW stocking, lol

Marty.h
07-05-2015, 10:39 PM
A Goby will need a muture sandbed unless they are taking frozen food.

Peppermint shrimp are fine some types will also eat aptasia but do better in a group.

I have cleaner shrimp myself and a fire shrimp.

With regards to hitchikers they can be VERY illusive my mate had his tank setup for 5 years and suddenly he spotted a big teddy bear crab !!

I've had my share of bad hitch hikers 3 bad crabs and a Polyclad flatworm which eats snails and clams !! That's what I have come across so far.

As for CUC you will be surprised what they can find and feed of and nothing stopping you adding them just a case of putting a cube of food in they will soon find it.

I would defo get quite a few snails to turn the sand over if you have algae on the rocks ect turbo snails do an awesome job of clearing up.

I would also add a good few hermit crabs and a selection of shells I chucked the spare shells behind my rocks the crabs soon find them.

I'm not sure of your setup as this thread 50 pages long on tapatalk but if you have a sump then a phosphate reactor in my opinion is a good thing if you don't have a sump then a bag of phosphate remover will help keep that down so less chance of algae.

If you are buying your water from a LFS then check the TDS of the plain RO from them as some round here are as high as 130 TDS !!! Much higher and you may as well add miracle grow.

You ideally want 0 TDS water and depending on what you having if a reef with corals an ideal SG is 1.025-1.026 most LFS will sell salt water at 1.024 this is ok for corals but they do better with it being more salty and near true sea water levels but is perfectly fine for FOWLR ( fish only with live rock ) setups.

Sorry for banging on a bit and if you already have what I have mentioned above sorted then sorry but did not have time to read 50 pages.

If you have anymore questions then feel free to ask and if I know the answer ill do my best to advise you in the right direction :)

Boundava
07-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I agree with Matt, great pic of your family, BTW I love your shirt!

I love the tank stocking list, I also don't do SW-but the stocking list sounds great. Sorry you lost your microswords to voracious fish-glad the crypts and Anubias are working out for you.