PDA

View Full Version : New Betta Fish

Platyfish1999
01-25-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't have a name for him yet but he's as active.
He is blue with white on his tail.If anyone has name suggestions please feel free to give them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6c1h5agcxg1r7j/image.jpg?n=167344574

Just click the link and you will see the betta.

I will be happy to hear name suggestions.

Thanks,
Timthegoldfish

Slaphppy7
01-25-2015, 02:44 PM
He's a pretty one, all flared up.

Platyfish1999
01-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks he's a great fish.He loves flaring at everything in the tank:18:

fishmommie
01-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Very nice choice. Am I correct that he's a half moon betta? He's a very pretty guy!

You've given him a really nice home too. Lots of plants for him to play in.

Call him Pinky - then watch the looks on people's faces LOL

Platyfish1999
01-25-2015, 04:52 PM
I will be getting live plants sometime which will make the tank look much nicer.I am thinking of elodea and java fern

Platyfish1999
01-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Very nice choice. Am I correct that he's a half moon betta? He's a very pretty guy!

Call him Pinky - then watch the looks on people's faces LOL

Hahaha,I dont know about that name,I will see.I dont know what type tail he is.

Platyfish1999
01-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Very BAD news.The betta just took a chunk out of one of the platies tail and was starting to attack the Mickey Mouse.I have moved them to a seperate tank and now the betta is on his own.So for putting bettas and platies going together,it's not a great idea.Will the poor platy's tail grow back with the same colour(her tail was black.

Slaphppy7
01-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Sometimes bettas work in a community tank, sometimes they don't.

We had a betta with a tankfull of platys, and had no issues.

Keep the water in the platy tank very clean with many water changes, and she should heal up fine.

fishmommie
01-25-2015, 06:44 PM
well darn. I've had a betta with a platty too and never had problems. but it's like we always say: it depends on the betta.
The platy's tail will grown back but like Slap said, lots of clean fresh water is the best thing to heal it.

Platyfish1999
01-25-2015, 07:02 PM
The platies are in a 5 gallon at the moment with two guppies.I know it's a bit small but it's the best thing I can do

JudiJetson
01-25-2015, 08:04 PM
That is an absolutely beautiful betta! I love that you provided such a nice home for him and it sounds like he is quite feisty and wants wants to be the one and only king of the tank [emoji6] . I haven't thought of a good name but I usually match the name to their personality. I have one discus that literally wiggles whenever he sees me, so he's Mr. Wiggles...not very imaginative but it fits him.

steeler58
01-25-2015, 10:37 PM
Good advice from slap and FM :) As far as a name how about "flash".

Platyfish1999
01-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the name suggestions,I might just call him Flash,great name.

Compass
01-26-2015, 04:02 PM
That is one pretty betta! sorry it didn't work out with your platies. You might try something that doesn't take up the same space as the betta. I have my betta in a take with Kuhlii loaches. Otos would be something else I would suggest (but only if you have a good algae growth in your tank).

RiversGirl
01-26-2015, 04:17 PM
You have a beautiful betta!

I will be getting live plants sometime which will make the tank look much nicer.I am thinking of elodea and java fern

I have (Lace variety) Java Fern and am very pleased with it. For tank mates, you could consider a single, pretty snail. Something to contrast -- thus compliment -- his colors, perhaps?

Platyfish1999
01-26-2015, 06:36 PM
I will see,my fish shop doesn't sell much,they don't usually sell snails.

fishmommie
01-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Many bettas are fine on their own - in fact they prefer to be. too bad this guy didn't take a shine to the platies.
You might still try the cory cats. I know you were thinking about them at one time. They are fun little fish.

RiversGirl
01-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Cory are fun, agreed.

Do you only have one lfs near you? If you live in the US, Triton has some very pretty Java fern varieties for sale. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=118319&p=1298156#post1298156

Platyfish1999
01-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Many bettas are fine on their own - in fact they prefer to be. too bad this guy didn't take a shine to the platies.
You might still try the cory cats. I know you were thinking about them at one time. They are fun little fish.

I don't have a backup if the cories don't work out.
Will the betta go with them guaranteed or what?

I don't know if it'a normal but the betta swims fast and when he does he kind of shudders a bit,I can't really explain it.He doesn't flash or run off stuff.I hope it's normal because he swims normally sometimes aswell.

Thanks

Platyfish1999
01-26-2015, 07:02 PM
I am in ireland,no lfs but I could order fish when the spring sets in and it warms up.The "lfs" isn't a lfs it is a pet shop.

Boundava
01-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Yes he is a beauty. He looks like the sky with clouds. You could call him Ceo, it is Galic for sky; Nebo is Slovenian for sky too; or Mrak is Czech for cloud.

Platyfish1999
01-26-2015, 07:39 PM
But is it normal that the betta swims the way I described in my last post before this one.I already called him Flash but I think Nebo is a better name:)
I hope the way he swims is normal.

JudiJetson
01-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Hopefully some experienced betta keepers can chime in on normal swim patterns.
Nebo is a cool name.

gronlaura
01-27-2015, 12:13 AM
Can you switch the tanks - put Mr. Betta in the 5 gal? He's very good looking.

Platyfish1999
01-27-2015, 08:15 AM
I can't,the tank the betta is in is perfect for him and he's the happiest I ever saw a Betta and I don't want to ruin that.

Is his swimming behaviour normal?(I described it at the end of page 2)

Boundava
01-27-2015, 02:09 PM
I was looking at YouTube and seeing some videos of half-moon's swimming-seems like that is how they swim with all of their fins. May be they really have to shake to get momentum. Nebo really is a beautiful boy.

Slaphppy7
01-27-2015, 02:14 PM
It would also help if you can post a vid of your betta's swimming bevavior

Platyfish1999
01-27-2015, 04:22 PM
I have watched youtube videos of halfmoons swimming around and they are all swimming in the way I have described so I suppose it is pretty normal.

Thanks,
Timthegoldfish(and Nebo:D)

Boundava
01-27-2015, 04:33 PM
I am glad, its hard when you think there is something wrong with your fish.

Platyfish1999
01-27-2015, 04:51 PM
I don't know is he clamped now:(.He barely opens his fins out fully today but there not totally squeezed together but I don't know are they clamped or not(I know that clamped fins are usually squeezed together) but I barely saw the full halfmoon today.

RiversGirl
01-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Are you able to post a photo of this? Others here who are familiar with bettas would be better able to tell whether or not he is clamping his fins with a photo.

Platyfish1999
01-28-2015, 08:16 AM
I found out he is not clamping his fins.Thanks for the help anyway.

RiversGirl
01-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Terrific news!

Boundava
01-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Bettas don't usually have their fins spread out all of the time, just when they are "showing" off for whatever reason. So maybe what you thought was clamping, is just his normal fins.

Glad there is nothing wrong though. :ssmile:

Platyfish1999
01-28-2015, 05:24 PM
I am at the moment acclimatising the betta to the 5 gallon as I moved the guppies and platies to the 14 gallon as the 5 gallon is too small for platies.

Platyfish1999
01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Can you switch the tanks - put Mr. Betta in the 5 gal? He's very good looking.

I have done that but now there's more adjusting to be done for the Betta

RiversGirl
01-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm very glad that you've taken Laura's suggestion to switch the tanks. It is very sound advice, good on you for heeding it.

gronlaura
01-29-2015, 12:11 AM
Your betta will be fine in the 5 gal and the guppies and platies will be ecstatic in the 14 gal. So glad you made the switch. Post some pics when everyone is settled.

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Now since I moved Nebo yesterday he I staying at the top of the tank and clamped fins.I have done a water change yesterday before I moved him so I doubt it's water parameter issues.Please help,this is why I was afraid of moving him:(

Slaphppy7
01-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Check all params and post here.

What water conditioner are you using?...what's the tank temp?

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I can't post the parameters as I do not have testers(I had but they don't work)The temp is 25 degrees celsius.Every betta I had in that tank kept dying after putting them in there but other fish never get sick in the tank.I knew it was a bad idea to move him,I should have just left him where he was.

P.S. I also did a 25% water change.
I also use API Tap Water Conditioner

Slaphppy7
01-29-2015, 04:35 PM
You really, really need an API Freshwater Master Test kit...we need to know your params

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 04:41 PM
The fish that was in there before him were fine and they had no symptoms like he has now.

fishmommie
01-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Don't panic just yet. He may be simply settling in. Does he move around at all? Are you sure his fins are clamped or is he merely relaxed?
Is it possible that in the 14 gallon he could see his reflection and that's what he was flaring at? Maybe he can't see his reflection in the 5 gal so he's calmer?
Is he eating?

If you can't afford the API freshwater master test kit, can you take water samples from each tank to your fish store and ask the to check ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH for you? Some fish stores use the API liquid test kit (mine does) but others use test strips which aren't quiet as accurate but if something is amiss with any one of those AND if the betta really is in distress, it will give you some indication.

In the meantime, I know you just did a 25% W/C but go ahead and do another 25 - 50% change just in case the nitrates are high or for some reason you have ammonia. A water change will never hurt and if he perks up after a large W/C, you can conclude that if he is in distress, it was a water quality issue.
Hang in there. Draw the water before you do another W/C and try to get those water samples to your LFS. And make sure you draw from each tank so you will know if there's a difference in the parameters that may have affected the betta

Slaphppy7
01-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Even so, unless we know your params, we can't offer much helpful advice

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 05:06 PM
His tail fin is actually clamped shut but his dorsal and anal fins aren't.He moves around sometimes to get air and explores the tank a little.He didn't even eat in the 14 gallon,I knew I shouldn't have move him,every betta i ever had before him died in that tank.Yes,He was flaring at his reflection in the 14 gallon.

And should I move him back to the 1 gallon,but i have guppies and platies in there?Or will it just be too stressful for him?

fishmommie
01-29-2015, 05:27 PM
His tail fin is actually clamped shut but his dorsal and anal fins aren't.He moves around sometimes to get air and explores the tank a little.He didn't even eat in the 14 gallon,I knew I shouldn't have move him,every betta i ever had before him died in that tank.Yes,He was flaring at his reflection in the 14 gallon.
Bettas generally flare when they are upset or angry and ready to fight. He might have simply worn himself out in the 14 flaring over his reflection. And now, he's just chilling. I wasn't aware that he hadn't eaten. What have you tried to feed him?

And should I move him back to the 1 gallon,but i have guppies and platies in there?Or will it just be too stressful for him?
No, I wouldn't move him again. The most important thing to do now is draw water samples from both tanks and get them to your LFS for analysis. Before you go to the LFS, however, do another large W/C in the 5 It absolutely will not hurt and could help immensely. Make sure to use water conditioner. Once you get the results of the water tests, we can go from there, okay?

JudiJetson
01-29-2015, 05:29 PM
I think continuing to move him will just add more unnecessary stress.
Is the temperature in the 5 gallon the same as the 14?
I'd continue with partial water changes every day until you know your parameters.

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 05:31 PM
I can't get into the pet shop for ages as I live in a rural area and it's a little while into town.I didn't do a water change yet,but if he was just chilling would his fin be clamped?His tail fin is actually tiny as it is stuck together.

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 05:41 PM
No,it got a bit hot in the 14 gallon.

Boundava
01-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Check all params and post here.

What water conditioner are you using?...what's the tank temp?

+1 to above and additionally its hard to say without a photo of the 5 gal and some additional info on the tank:

Was the water cycled when you transferred the fish around, or did you clean out the tank and start from scratch? Have you done a water change recently? What type of filter do you have, I ask because if the current from the filter is too strong it could be why he is hanging out in a "current free" spot. Does the tank have plants for him to lay on, is there anywhere for him to hide on the bottom?

It could be a number of things, or it could be him pouting. I had a betta I tried in my 29 gallon tank and he turned out to be a nightmare. Chasing and nipping everything that moved. I took him out of the 29 and put him in a 5, he pouted for a week and then got over himself when I distracted him with a female in the next tank. So he may just be a baby for a bit till he gets used to his new digs. Hope its that easy.

I agree with everyone else, moving him again is not a good idea. Is he eating in this tank? Do you feed him pellets or frozen food? Again clamped fins could just mean he is insecure-if he is still swimming around and showing interest then follow suggestions on water changes daily.

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 05:52 PM
He has a calm filter but he barely swims anymore:(

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Oh and I try to feed him aquarian tropical flake food.

fishmommie
01-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Once again, as has been suggested, I'd make those 25% daily water changes until you can figure out what your water parameters are.
There may be absolutely no problem and he's simply a little shy. The reflection in the 14 had him very active and now that he can't see himself, he's bound to be much quieter. Some bettas are and then again, he may perk up once he gets accustomed to the tank.

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks I hope that it's just that he's shy.

Platyfish1999
01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
+1 to above and additionally its hard to say without a photo of the 5 gal and some additional info on the tank:

Was the water cycled when you transferred the fish around, or did you clean out the tank and start from scratch? Have you done a water change recently? What type of filter do you have, I ask because if the current from the filter is too strong it could be why he is hanging out in a "current free" spot. Does the tank have plants for him to lay on, is there anywhere for him to hide on the bottom?

It could be a number of things, or it could be him pouting. I had a betta I tried in my 29 gallon tank and he turned out to be a nightmare. Chasing and nipping everything that moved. I took him out of the 29 and put him in a 5, he pouted for a week and then got over himself when I distracted him with a female in the next tank. So he may just be a baby for a bit till he gets used to his new digs. Hope its that easy.

I agree with everyone else, moving him again is not a good idea. Is he eating in this tank? Do you feed him pellets or frozen food? Again clamped fins could just mean he is insecure-if he is still swimming around and showing interest then follow suggestions on water changes daily.

The tank is cycled and still is.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Nebo is dead:(

TowBoater
01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Stress is a huge factor in this. I always used stress coat and as said before, a female in a tank beside can perk them up. I used 10g tanks with a divider and had a male on one side and a female on the other. The males were always flared up and posing well. Im sorry for your loss. Half moon bettas are my absolute favorite. I like crown tail to. Id have your waters tested to be sure it wasn't a factor in that. If the water levels are fine I would say stress.

RiversGirl
01-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Please accept my sympathies over your loss.

JudiJetson
01-30-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm so sorry....Nebo was truly a beautiful betta. Please do still get your water tested to know for sure that didn't cause the problem.

Slaphppy7
01-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Sorry for the loss.

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I am so, so sorry. I know how attached you'd become to him even in a short time period.
Most fish stores will give you credit or replace a fish if it dies within a few days of taking it home. I know that doesn't help Nebo but i think you should at least contact them to see if they will do something.

In the meantime, I could not imagine keeping fish without a water test kit. In small tanks especially, there is much more opportunity for things to go wrong and keeping tabs on your water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and pH is critical.

I've had good luck and bad luck with bettas. But here's the way I see it: every betta I bring home is a betta that is rescued from a tiny container in which they are miserable. Don't give up.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 04:00 PM
I am keeping for a hospital tank for my platies or guppies.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 04:03 PM
I may get more platies for the 14 gallon as the two of them seem very lonely.The red platies tail isn't rotting so far so good:)The platies are doing excellently,I love their little faces and personalities.

Slaphppy7
01-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Once again, I implore you to get a liquid test kit....a QT tank needs the right water conditions just like show tanks

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Thanks but the p.h I have in the Q.T as I got state records on the water and it is in the perfect range for livebearers.

Slaphppy7
01-30-2015, 04:46 PM
ph is only one of MANY parameters that need to be checked, and one of the least important, IMO

Good luck to you.

JudiJetson
01-30-2015, 05:01 PM
If you buy your fish in the same area as where you live most likely the ph is the same or very close. The other parameters can be why fish die.
Ammonia - Should be 0. If over 0 do a water change. This can be explained in more detail if you want to learn.
Nitrite - Should be 0 at all times in a cycled tank
Nitrates - Should be kept under 20ppm, if over do a water change.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
I know that I will invest in a liquid test kit,it's just that I can't afford one yet.Judijetson,I know about the ammonia,nitrite and nitrate and if over 0,0,20 do a water change,I don't need to be thought that.

Thanks

JudiJetson
01-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Very happy you know that, I wish you the best with your future fish keeping.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 06:53 PM
I feel soooo guilty right now.Would my 3 bettas(had 3 seperate times) have all died in the 5 gallon because I never siphon the gravel?I siphon the gravel in the 14 gallon but I never siphon the 5 gallon.Is this what keeps killing my bettas,I feel so guilty

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 07:45 PM
This is why we wanted you to check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If this 5 gal is not heavily planted and you never vacuum the substrate, it's very likely that your nitrates are over the moon and yes, that's what probably killed the fish.
We learn from our mistakes. I've lost fish - recently - that if I had watched their behavior closer, I might have saved with an easy fix. So you need to move on from here.

I feel soooo guilty right now.Would my 3 bettas(had 3 seperate times) have all died in the 5 gallon because I never siphon the gravel?I siphon the gravel in the 14 gallon but I never siphon the 5 gallon.Is this what keeps killing my bettas,I feel so guilty

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Could I get 1 or 2 mollies or if I was to get guppies how much could I get?Theyre the only fish I have my eyes are on as they are so hardy.I honestly do not want to try a betta again.I will also siphon the gravel tomorrow.Unles you can convince me why I should get a betta gain at this stage I only want mollies or guppies,either one.I am half afraid to try a betta in case I kill another one:(

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 08:06 PM
I would not get any fish for the 5 gal until you get your water tested or you may be running into the same problem. So, next time you go to the fish store, pull some samples from each tank just before you go and ask them to run ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate tests. If there are problems there, you'll have to make adjustments before you bring any more fish home. and if it is a case of nitrites in the 5 gal and you correct that then there would be no reason that you should feel like you can't get another betta.

As for mollies - I'd google their profile and see how large they get an what size tank they need.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 08:24 PM
What about guppies,I got it tested,it's nitrates,I'll have to siphon it tomorrow before any other fish.

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 08:42 PM
How did you get it tested and what did the nitrates read?

What about guppies,I got it tested,it's nitrates,I'll have to siphon it tomorrow before any other fish.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 08:57 PM
How did you get it tested and what did the nitrates read?

It was a liquid tester.They didn't tell me the nitrate level they just said it was really high.
I don't have any plants in the tank but again how much guppies?

Although I may also think about getting a betta but I don't know yet.

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Start saving your money for an API Master liquid water test kit.
I can't advise you on getting any fish until you can check the water yourself and know that it's safe for fish.

If you've been keeping fish in the 5 gal, you should be doing weekly 50% water changes and vacuuming the gravel every week. Nitrates BREED in the substrate and will kill your fish.

Practice your motto: "Don't just make a fish Survive, make the fish happy. It's not a hard thing to do."
And it's not hard - IF you have a water testing kit.

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Can you please tell me how mich male guppies I could get?I understand about testing the water myself but I just want to know how much guppies I could put in the 5 gallon if I was not to get a betta.

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't get more than 3

Platyfish1999
01-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Ok thanks.

Boundava
01-31-2015, 09:07 PM
So sorry to read a out Nebo. You should do a good gravel cleaing, and get the test kit to make sure the water is good before you get your fish.

Platyfish1999
01-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Got more platies for 14g and doing great.Will give photos tomorrow(I will post it as an aquarium journal,as his thread was supposed to be about a betta not platies:D)This thread got a little off topic.